Center stand mounting hardware - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Center stand mounting hardware

I had some help disassembling my bike a month or two ago to do a clutch job, and now that I'm putting it together again, I've run into a place where I'm not sure how things go together. One of the "hazards" of having lots of help: there's lots of stuff going on at once and it's hard to keep up with photos & bagging/tagging.

The bracket that mounts directly to the transmission, onto which are mounted both the side stand and the center stand (the FM calls this the "pivot bracket") is held in place with four screws. The side stand switch wire is strapped to a bracket that gets sandwiched between the pivot bracket and the left two mounting points on the transmission. I can't tell if there is supposed to be some kind of washer or spacer to compensate on the right two joints for this additional stack height on the left side. The FM doesn't picture anything and none of the parts fiche pages even picture the small bracket for the side stand switch wire.

Also, the FM shows a washer between the head of the screw and the pivot bracket on all four joints, but the parts fiche shows only the screw.

Lastly, the use of Loctite 242 or 243 isn't mentioned at all for these screws, only the hardware that holds the stands to the pivot bracket. But there is some blue threadlocker residue showing on mine. Anyone know what the general practice is for these screws - dry or Loctite?

This is for the non-hydraulic 2003 variety of center stand. Not sure if the hydraulic version would be assembled the same or differently.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in