Extended Warranties - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Extended Warranties

My '05 factory warranty will end in January, so it's time to think about an extended warranty. It's my understanding that there are several different companies offering them.

Advice?

Experiences?

Horror Stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:06 pm

I'll never buy one.
Save your money.
If it breaks, I fix it if I can, and dealer fixes it if I can't.
I'll take my chances without an extended warranty.
I had to pay for my slave failure and clutch replace.......just a part of ownership. No regret for not having an extended warranty.

Doug Roorda
Mid TN
99 K1200LT
03 Ducati M800S-sold
02 F650GS-Dakar
03 DRZ400S
KJ4EER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tnk12lt; Oct 11th, 2007 at 5:25 pm.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 6:41 pm

I also tend to stay away from them. I always figure if they sell me a junker once, I'll take the lumps but I won't be back. That said, if one reads this forum long enough, it seems that many members are buying and using xtended warranties. Mine is a 2000 bought used with 9k miles this past july, so I don't even know if it would be eligible if I did want one. I'd be interested in what you decide to do, why, and what the cost ended up.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
If you decide to get an extended warranty, stick with either Pinnacle or Western Services. Those two companies consistently get good reviews from customers and dealers alike.

I never had one on either of my LTs. I did get one on my new GT. I felt it was worth the cost based on the number of miles I was planning on putting on the bike and on my past history with BMW products. I'll be way past the 36K factory warranty cutoff in well under a year, so my unlimited mileage warranty gives me good coverage for up to seven years.

Like all insurance, it's a gamble as to whether you will need the coverage in the future, or whether you are better off saving the money. If you plan on keeping the bike for a long time and a sudden large repair bill would be difficult then it makes more sense to go with a warranty. If you're going to trade the bike in on something else than the extended warranty makes less sense.

Either way, it's you cash so only you can make that decision.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Pinnacle Warranty if you feel you must

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If you decide to get an extended warranty, stick with either Pinnacle or Western Services.
I agree. Pinnacle has been my choice. I bought a policy on a '96 RT and saved about $3K on a tranny (about 3K past factory warranty expiration).

I had brand X policies on earlier beemers with no claims and some % refunded premiums. I'm not sure those plans are available today.

I bought a similar Pinnacle pkg for my '01 LT and did not have a claim, but did not get a refund.

In the big pic w/BMW durability and lotsa issues over the years, I'm ahead of the game and will buy another plan as my factory warranty approaches expiration.

Bob in Indy

K12LT Black "Elvira"
'76 R75/6 "Old Blue"
Knights of the Roundel #333
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 9:57 pm

I am getting one for my 05' this week (or next). I called Pinnacle and got a price for the 3yr and 4yr. The 4yr is $910 ($810 for 3yrs), plus $120 for ABS and they charge you an additional $75 if the bike is within 6mos of the warranty expiring. $1105 for 4 more yrs. Less than a buck a day the way I look at it. I do all my own work but I don't want to have to pay for a FD or clutch when on the road and I plan on putting on a lot of miles in the next 4yrs!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Extended warrenties

It is a toss up. I bought one on a '99 R11RT just prior to factory warranty expiration and never needed it. This was a good thing since the company went belly up 6 months after I bought it (Warranty Gold).

On the other hand I bought a '99 Porsche Carrera a few years back under the factory Certified Pre Owned program and had the engine ($20 grand) and transmission ($7,000 ) replaced in my first year of ownership at zero cost to me. As a side note Porsches, while expensive to repair and maintain (can you say 10 quarts of Mobil 1, two oil filters and $125/hr shop rate for an oil change?) are usually very reliable but the 1999 was the first year of the 996, water cooled model and it had some issues. Knowing that I only looked at CPO cars and it certainly paid off in this case. I still have the car and now have 15,000 mikes on a 2004 engine and tranny.

Having said that, I don't have an extended warranty on either one of my bikes.

Mike

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #8 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemfusion
My '05 factory warranty will end in January, so it's time to think about an extended warranty. It's my understanding that there are several different companies offering them.

Advice?

Experiences?

Horror Stories?
My dealer sold me a pinnacle plan, and it paid for the replacement of the ABS unit on 2001. Later it paid for the leaking fork seals to be replaced. It would have paid for my leaky rear main seal and slipping clutch if I had not totaled it first. It more than paid for itself. I got some other plan from my dealer when I bought my 04. There are several expensive parts on this bike, and the extended warranty is well worth it in my opinion. Ask your service manager which one he likes, as he will have to deal with them.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:04 pm

Extended Warranty

I don't know about anyone else, but I purchased an extended warranty for my bike in 2005 from Protective Insurance through an online vendor for 700.00 . So far it has covered 2400.00 worth of repair...

http://www.protective.com/ProtectiveP3b.asp?id=74 This is the companies website.

Anyone that says you don't need one doesn't need a dealer to do their repairs and has a whole lot of time on their hands to resolve whatever happens.

The Xtraride Plus plan is all inclusive .. Best thing I ever did.. If I had it to do all over again, I would never, I mean never own this bike without one. If I can't renew mine after the 5 years is up, I will get another bike and put one on it...

Don't let the warranty expire without getting one NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU !!!!!
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 7:51 am

extended warranty

I'm with rglassma.............had I known what I know now, I would have purchased the warranty. I'm capapble of doing the work myself but I would have gladly paid $700 to have my clutch put in if I didn't have to do it. If you can't work on the bike then you need an aftermarket warranty or a lot of money. I'd gladly pay $700 for a good warranty. It's worth it.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:04 am

Extended Warranty

I had a 2005 LT and purchased Pinnacle extended warranty for $1140 and in three months collected over $3000 from it. At 41,000 miles replaced the rear drive and at 56,000 replaced the complete instrument cluster. I would never own a BMW without extended warranty. It is the only vehicle I would purchase extended warranty on.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #12 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 11:18 am

Extended Warranties

Think of extended warranties as health insurance for your vehicle. Not everything is covered and there are many exclusions that may apply included but not limited to proof of maintenance. With all the computer systems on vehicles today including motorcycles and especially the LT the "High Tech" option is something to seriously consider. Another coverage that is very important is "seals and gaskets" coverage. This can affect subsequent damages where a failure is a result of another failed part. For example if leaking valve stem seals causing a problem with the pistons rings due to oil consumption. Without seals and gaskets coverage the claim most likely will be denied. Some companies do not cover these items or offer these coverages on used vehicle contracts.

Good Luck.
Here is a link for Pinnacle http://www.pppcoverage.com/fs/fs_cycles.htm

Jim
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguzzi
Think of extended warranties as health insurance for your vehicle. Not everything is covered and there are many exclusions that may apply included but not limited to proof of maintenance. With all the computer systems on vehicles today including motorcycles and especially the LT the "High Tech" option is something to seriously consider. Another coverage that is very important is "seals and gaskets" coverage. This can affect subsequent damages where a failure is a result of another failed part. For example if leaking valve stem seals causing a problem with the pistons rings due to oil consumption. Without seals and gaskets coverage the claim most likely will be denied. Some companies do not cover these items or offer these coverages on used vehicle contracts.

Good Luck.
Here is a link for Pinnacle http://www.pppcoverage.com/fs/fs_cycles.htm

Jim
Good Point Jim,

Again, Protective Xtraride policy covers everything except wear items... It also has a towing and lodging feature... Check it out. Web address on my previous post in this thread... It may be more then what I paid now, but I am sure glad I have it. My output shaft is starting to leak now and I am waiting for the local dealer to get the time to work on it... Looks like another claim.. I wish I could get an investment that would pay off like this.

Don't leave home on your BMW bike without it !!!!!
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, folks

I appreciate the suggestions.

I'm blessed with a solid dealership that has been around for a while, and I probably ought to get their input as well.

It's really all jut gambling in any case, isn't it?
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:07 pm

It hasn't been for me... I have to bring mine in again and have the output shaft seal replaced .. That will bring it to 3 times that I would have had to pay big bucks for service within the last year...

Do you call that gambling?
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:34 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
It hasn't been for me... I have to bring mine in again and have the output shaft seal replaced .. That will bring it to 3 times that I would have had to pay big bucks for service within the last year...

Do you call that gambling?
What year is your bike?
How many miles?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Mine is an '03 LTC with around 30K.. I bought it two years ago with 800 miles on it.
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:06 pm

The extended warranty sounded like a good idea for me. The unlimited miles sold me since I ride about 30,000 miles a year on that bike.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:23 pm

I put together an extended warranty group buy through Bob's BMW and got a policy w/ABS. I do my own services. After returning from a trip through the Southwest, my bike went to crap on the way home - grinding sound, charging light on .....something happened to the shaft that drives the alt. something bad and expensive. 3x the cost of the warranty.

sounds like good economics to me.
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:45 pm

Anyone that buys a BMW motorcycle without having an extended warranty for as long as you own it (if you are not going to do all and I mean all of your own service) should have their heads examined in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my bike. If I didn't I would have been rid of it a year ago. It is the best riding touring bike on the planet. I get alot of joy out of riding it. But, as far as reliability and service costs go, they must be pretty high up there compared to what else is on the market.

My plan is to:

Renew my extended warranty when it is expiring (if I can)
If I can't, I will sell or trade it for another with a warranty and get an extended warranty on it.

That to me is the only strategy for owning this bike or most BMW motorcycles that I have seen.
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:17 am

Extended Warranty

I think it will depend upon how much driving you do. I have a 2000 with 180K on it. I use it to commute everyday. The unlimited mileage was a big help and was a 6 year policy after the factory warranty. I highly recommend it. I've had my computer go out a couple times, the latch on the trunk broke twice and problems with the ABS once. All covered.

BMWBob
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 1:44 am

I have an '05 with 24K on it. Main Seal went out at 1200 miles...Central Locking went out at 8K....Rear output shaft seal went at 11K. Main Seal again went out at 22K....all covered under warranty. I bout the aftermarket extended warranty 4 days before the factory expired. You'd be crazy not to with these maintenance guzzling (read: $$$ guzzling) nightmare bikes! Did I mention that I love mine dearly?

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in