03 LT SX - Metz rear tyre question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:37 am Thread Starter

03 LT SX - Metz rear tyre question

My 03 LT needs a new rear tyre as the current one has worn down, more so on the right side which is puzzling ???

The current tyre is :-

Metz ME 160/70 B17 MC 79V

I've found an online supplier who is quite a bit cheaper than what I'd expect to pay here in the UK, BUT the tyre details aren't quite the same.

They show :-

160/70 B 17 XL TL 79V ME 880 MARATHON M/C

What do you reckon ?

Website here. http://www.mynetmoto.com/motorradrei...radreifen.html

2002 K1200LT SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 6:28 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Metzler Fitment

Hi Seagull,
I've contacted Metzler directly by telephone in the past and found them to be EXTREMELY helpful.
Rather than chance an issue with the load rating of the cheaper tire you've found, you may wish to give them a call. Here's a link to their site:
YOu may also find the fitment info you're after right on the site, without needing to make the call.
Good hunting!
Keir
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
That looks like the right tire for the LT. The two main concerns are size (160/70 Bias 17" is correct) and weight rating (79V is correct). It's the weight rating that limits tire choices for the LT.

As for wear, we see the same here in the Colonies except more wear on the left side. It has to do with which side of the road that gets driven on. Actually, it's the fact that you lot spend more time in longer right turns while we send more time in longer left turns.

Be aware that tires bought off the 'net may be cheaper, but you'll still have to get them mounted which adds cost. If you can pull the wheel yourself and take it to a local shop that should save a lot. Or if you know a friend with a tire changer that will save even more.

I've been changing my own tires for quite a while. At least I know I'll take the time to do it right plus it means I can change them on my schedule, and not rely on some dealer or tire shop.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 7:44 am

Tire wear

Seagull, I believe your wear on the right side is from driving on the wrong side of the road......JMHO.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
I bought my front tyre from the company in the link back in April, it arrived just in time for our trip to Holland.... phew ! I think I saved around £30 by doing it that way and having it fitted by a non franchise company.

Of course, we drive on the correct side of the road over here.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Side tire wear!

Howdy,

I learned at CCR '07 that if EVERY rear tire wears on the same side instead of the middle, your bike is most likely out of alignment.

Not which side of the road you ride on nor lots of turns. That's a myth that some jokester started. LOL

I'm told that re-aligning the bike is a real PAIN! It's cheaper and easier to just buy new tires.

Buy the way, I found the correct rear ME880 Marathon Tire at ridenow.com for $164 plus $9.95 shipping. It took them over 10 working days to get it shipped to me though. It is a new tire (14th week of '07 manufacturing date)! Cheapest I've found so far this fall.

Have a good day!
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 7:09 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Buy the way, I found the correct rear ME880 Marathon Tire at ridenow.com for $164 plus $9.95 shipping. a good day!
Vern
Damn, wish we could get those sort of deals here. Just booked mine in to get a new rear Metz next week at local dealer... Au$352 (ride in/ride out), and at our current exchange rate of around US90c to the Aussie, that makes it pretty expensive, like everything else on the bike down-under. Just thankful she's so sweet to ride!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 4:45 am

I always get my tyres from our local ATS, the prices are very keen and of course he fits them. If you have a Metz front, stick with the same rear. As far as I'm aware there are only 2 tyres suitable for the LT in the UK, the Metz one and the Bridgestone one. New bikes are fitted with either of these. I've tried both and would say you will get more wear from the Metz, but they tend to wear a bit unevenly, particularly on the front, where they cup and make funny noises on corners. The Metz in the wet can be very scary! The Bridgestone wears quicker but certainly grips better in the wet.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:24 am

Front tire

The Metzeler on the front of my bike has around 16K on it. It's just starting to cup a little. I have a Bridgestone ordered to match the rear. I thought I'd give them a shot and see what happens.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in