Dunlap Tire? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Question Dunlap Tire?

With the current supply problem Bridgestone is having on front tire availability, has anyone recently used the Dunlap "D205B" tires? I contacted Avon and was told they do not recommend their tire on 05 and above LT's? Metzeler are a second choice but I hate the road noise they make. I am aware that Dunlap had a problem with the rear tire rubbing the swingarm on earlier models. Just not sure if this problem has been resolved?

So has anyone recently used the Dunlap tire? How does it compare to the Bridgestone tire? Is there still a problem with tire clearance with the swingarm?

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Metzlers have road noise ?

Please elaborate, I aint heard road noise from tires since I put 38" Gumbo Monster Mudders on my 1978 Toyota Landcruiser...but the V-8 conversion with "springs on top" made noise that negated anything that the tires were trying to tell me...

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:18 am

Dunlap

My LT had Dunlaps tires when I bought it. They were well worn, (I put on another 2000 miles on them), but you want to talk about noise..... every road joint they had to say something...... plus road contact.
Nebraska has a helmet law, I hear nothing with my Metlzers and I have almost 7000 miles on them....
I had a set of Avon (front) and Stone (rear) and I like the Metlzers better. Not near as spongy.

little_jake

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 8:52 am

I don't notice any road noise with my Metzlers!
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 9:16 am

Metzler Road Noise

I used Bridgestones only until I bought my first set of Metzler 880s. The bridgestones have alot more road noise then the Metzlers and cupping no matter what tire pressure you use. I could treat them like a baby, check and adjust the pressure everyday, and I would still get cupping.

The metzlers have been the best tire I have seen for the LT so far. I have about 10K on my rear with about another 4K left I think. I don't think anything is going to compare.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 9:25 am

I'm on my second set of Metzlers and the only noise I get from them is from the rear when they are well worn. Keeping the pressures up helped alleviate the problem.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Metzeler road growl

Up until I purchased my 05 LT I used nothing but Metzeler tires on my last five motorcycles. This included a 03 LT and a custom made V-Twin. I personally never noticed the "metzeler road growl", especially in turns, till I rode with the Bias Bridgestones that came with the 05. Also from my experience the Metzelers wear pattern promoted tire cupping more then what I have seen with the last 3 sets of Bridgestone. The Metzeler is a good tire and will outlast the competition in road mileage. But I am willing to give up mileage for what I personally feel is a better road experience. Especially how well Bridgestone grips the road compared to the Metzeler due to the softer tire compound they use. I would like to try the Avon but am hesitant due to manufacturers recommendation not to do so.

And yes I constantly check my tire pressure. I have a commercial air compressor in my garage and use a "Cycle Pump" air compressor that I travel with.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 1:38 pm

I have been running the Dunlop 205s front and rear for close to 17000 miles so far and I like them a lot. Got something close to 16000 out of the rear tire compared to 9000 with the rear Metzler that came on the bike. My riding style is aggressive and I trail brake into curves all the time it's safe to do so. I routinely touch down the pegs, center stand, etc. I've noticed less howl than the Metzlers. Also, while I ride very very conservatively in the rain, I am well satisfied with the grip level in the rain. I also find no problems on the Interstate with grooved pavement. An occasional twitch, but only on the most egregiously zig-zagged surface. The only negative I've found to the 205 has been when the bike is loaded to beyond maximum GVW and the rear tire inflated to around 48 psi, the tire will rub the swing arm when the rear suspension is depressed to maximum compression, in other words, bottomed out. But then, only very, very lightly. All in all, for not being a radial, and for the price, I like them a lot.

Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:07 pm

I ordered a new set of BT020's Bias on Sept 2, still waiting. I contacted the B-Stone rep and complained (a couple of times) when he got back to me he said that the tires are in the west coast warehouse and are shipping them out to the east coast first though. He told me that this glitch in their system was not normal and that the Bias was the only one they were making now. After talking a few times and getting to a first name basis I ended up with a front tire. I went and had it mounted and boy what a difference a fresh round tire is! I usually run the tires until they get square from the freeway then get new ones, usually about 6K, these had about 8k on them and really made the bike feel bad. The new tire took zero weight to balance it, which out of 5 sets this the third one to do this. The ones I ordered are due to be here in a couple of weeks so I will have a spare front which is a good thing.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 8:22 am

Well, Metzeler must have made some big changes since I ran my first and only set of ME880s! That was the ones that came on my 2001 LT. Those were extremely noisy in turns after about 1/3 worn, mostly the rear. They were way too slippery on wet pavement too.

It is very strange now to see anyone, much less 3 or 4 people say that they are experiencing no noise with them. It has been a very common complaint about them for years now.

Dunlops? My first LT, a 2000, came with Dunlop (Not Dunlap by the way), D205Bs. I never had any slipping problems with them like I did the ME880s on the second LT, but they were absolutely the NOISIEST tire I ever rode on. After about 1/3rd worn they howled like banshees at ANY lean angle. In fact, just moving from near the centerline on a road to the edge where the road crown presented a slight angle would have them howling like a police siren. It took me a little while to figure out it was the tires, as this was very early in the existence of the LT web group, and tire noise had not yet been discussed much.

Personally, if I were to get another LT I would only try Bridgestone Bias or Avon Storms on it. I used Bridgestone radials mostly on my last LT, with one Metzeler 880 RADIAL front, an Avon AV46 rear (very few miles on that before I took it off) and a couple rear AV445 fronts thrown in as experiments.

If the Avon Storms wiggled anything like the rear Avon AV46 did, I would not like those, and would be left with only one choice, the Bridgestone Bias.

The Bridgestone Radials were never noisy, even when just about worn out. Even though the front would be feathered badly, it still did not make much noise in turns. They also never slipped on wet like the Metzelers did several times. Several wet slips on one set of Metzelers, none during about 9 sets of BT020 radials!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:15 am

Metzelers Bad

I fully agree with you about the Metzelers...very scarry in the rain. I do like the Avons. Having ridden dirtbikes all my life the wiggle when their new doesn't bother me. Infact if the Avons wheren't available I would sell the LT because I don't like the Stones. I guess I would have to try the Dunlops first though.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in