Changing my Reversing method - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Changing my Reversing method

My First genuine LT drop :-(

Bike was leaning forward due to ground slope & so was not possible to push it back with my feet & so I engaged the reverse ( I rarely use it btw).

So the bike begins moving back in its lurchy manner & pauses right at the part when both my feet couldn't reach the ground.. & it slept on its side.
Being late night, I stood there for a while waiting for an extra hand to lift her & luckily a courteous went by & stopped to help.

Conclusion: Unless the ground is well flat, I think I won't use the reverse while sitting on her again. Better to walk-reverse this heavy monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 7:49 pm

Been in a similar situation. VERY sharply angled parking lot. Went in nose first, angle was so steep, couldn't even get the side stand down (slope was high left to low right as I was nose into the slot). Obviously that wasn't going to work. Too bad I didn't recognize that little detail looking instead of trying it first.

So, I rolled 'er backwards and out with foot power, backed down the hill. Powered forward up the hill in 1st, was going to 'gravity' assist roll 'er backwards into the slot. Aiming for about a 45 degree parking angle so there'd be *something* under the side stand. As I got the rear aimed for the opposite corner and was trying to swing the nose up the hill a bit....

Oops, no ground under my left foot and she was on her way down. Right knee felt like it was almost in my face. Only time I've ever flat footed either side with knee flex! About that time I finally admitted to myself that this lot was just way too angled for a bike like this. Too bad I was so slow on the uptake.

As I stepped off - forgot to let go of the throttle, wrapped 'er up to about 6K rpms in 1st, rear wheel caught just enough she did a power 'cookie' on her left side. Spun the ol gal almost 360 degrees on the left side bumper as I was jumping up in the air to avoid getting veg-o-matiked. AMAZING how little damage showed!! Obviously left side wing tip and some rubber off the end of the handle bar. THAT WAS IT. Wonderful tough ol gal and a lucky idiot pilot.

Hit the kill switch, picked 'er up and proceded to ride 'er to a more sensible parking lot, all the while looking around to see who'd noticed my moronic blunderings.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Greetings Tate.

I know what you mean about looking around to see who's seen me drop the beasty. Why do we do that? Accidents happen.

Pugwash, be even more careful about reversing her without sitting on the LT. It may well be a disaster waiting to happen if you're walking along side her while you have reverse engages.

Kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:40 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwash
So the bike begins moving back in its lurchy manner & pauses right at the part when both my feet couldn't reach the ground
Did it "pause" because you took your finger off the starter button, or did it "pause" (ie cut out) by itself? There is a fault that can cause the reverse to cut-out after a few seconds, which it shouldn't do. BMW techs fixed that on my '05 after the first service, I didn't even know it wasn't supposed to cut out!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 3:27 am

Yes it is amazing how little damage occurs to the bike when it falls over.

I think we can put that down to a good design.

Here are 2 good little films that show the procedure to get them upright again.

The only thing he does not mention is to put the bike into 1st gear to stop it rolling away once upright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsdzdm35lbI
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Greetings all,
The accident you mention Tate sounded rather serious & am glad you came out of it healthy & in one piece :-)

Paul, I don't know what you meant there by being dangerous to walk next to the bike as her reversing is not clutch/throttle related. Indeed in the above case, had I been next to the bike the (my feet were off the ground status) woulldn't have happened. But thanks buddy, must be more careful.

Chris, it does this "pausing" in a kind of regular intervals. I mean you'd engage the reverse knob & once you push the starter it revs up & the bike moves back in "stalls", not like when you drive through clutch mechanism (I hope I am saying this right).
So yes, I had my finger on all the time but when it reached the peak, it did its stall bit.
Kind regards to everyone
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Chris, it does this "pausing" in a kind of regular intervals. I mean you'd engage the reverse knob & once you push the starter it revs up & the bike moves back in "stalls", not like when you drive through clutch mechanism (I hope I am saying this right).

I had the same halted backward motion until I discovered I was being a bit timid on the reverse button, if held down firmly it stayed in reverse constantly.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2007, 6:39 pm
cws

Garage
It's a fault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugwash
So yes, I had my finger on all the time but when it reached the peak, it did its stall bit.
Mohammed, thats exactly what mine did, "paused/stalled" after about 3 seconds each time. If its under warranty get the dealer to fix it... its a fault. It should not "pause or stall" unless you release the starter button. If not under warranty, up to you whether you live with it, or pay to get it fixed. Good luck!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Thank you very much Chris, will do that in a couple of days.
Will update development.
In the meantime, its a trip tomorrow morning to blazing hot Saudi Arabia for two days (where driving is madness @ its extreme )
Sincere regards
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 5:35 pm

dealer found the power

connection was loose and it did the surging thing in reverse. connector firmly seated and problem fixed.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
connection was loose and it did the surging thing in reverse. connector firmly seated and problem fixed.
Mine seems to do this too. Can you tell me where this power connector is so that I can check it? TIA

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in