Smoke at start up what is the Cat doing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:49 am Thread Starter

Smoke at start up what is the Cat doing?

With all the smoke out the exhaust when the bike is parked on the side stand what is the cat converter doing?

I had a car that apparently sent fuel in the cat and ruined it, so what will the oil do to it?

I don't think my bike is alone it is amazing to me that the bike will smoke when parked for a relatively short time.

My Suzuki GS1100 did that when oil went in through a breather tube into the airbox. It seemed to do it if it was parked for a decent length of time.

Does the LT smoke on the new bikes or is this a condition that happens over time? Is it a sign my valve adjustments are off or leaking valve seals?

Anyway its not that I am worried about global warning or the cat but it strikes me as funny that it does it and appears to be normal.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:23 am

The in the crankcase oil get's by the rings , the head is on the kickstand side . What I do is lean bike to the right a short time then back over to side stand . I hope I made it clear to you if not someone will tell it better . Dan
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:39 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

No that's a German Lubrication Technological Advance...

Its just a cylinder pre-oiling system. Nothing to fear....

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 5:25 am

Ole Smoky

One of little chuckles I get comes from the smoke, my group of friends are mostly Harley riders and they are all aware of why the smoke happens although I believe most think (to themselves) that there is something wrong with the bike. Most of the time when we ride I am toward the front of the pack and when we stop I put it on the center stand, like a good boy but, once in a while, when the mood is right, I let it set on the sidestand.
Well of course you know when a group of Harley's pull away from a stop there is usually a burst of noise as the group gets out and accelerates away to form up. Now on a day when everyone is really gunning it up is just a great time to be near the front and of course to have set for a while on the sidestand cause we all know their will be a cloud of smoke and of course the cat is emitting enough odor to disrupt the entire scene. You should hear them whine at the next stop, I guess some day I will have a problem with the cat because of all of this but the entertainment is worth it.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 8:04 am

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
The in the crankcase oil get's by the rings ,. I hope I made it clear to you if not someone will tell it better . Dan
Not Exactly,

The oil drains into the combustion chamber due to a open exhaust valve when the motor is off and the bike is on the side stand.If the oil leaked past the rings you would have a major cloud of smoke with motor breaking when you apply throttle.

I dont think this will damage the cat since the oil is burning .

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 8:25 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
..The oil drains into the combustion chamber due to a open exhaust valve when the motor is off and the bike is on the side stand.......
But, but, sir, how would oil leak upwards into the combustion chamber?

Quote:
...If the oil leaked past the rings you would have a major cloud of smoke with motor braking when you apply throttle...
The way I heard it explained years ago, a wee bit of oil will leak past the rings if the ring gap is at the bottom of the cylinder... when the piston stops. If the gap is anywhere else, little or no oil won't get past.

Quote:
I don't think this will damage the cat since the oil is burning.
The cat is not yet heated up, and the oil is only there for a moment. Raw fuel, such as a 'missing' cylinder with no spark, will dump enough fuel into the Cat to cause damage.

Smoke on startup is 'normal' for the Brick engines, and has been a source of puzzlement, amusement, and mockery since the days of the K75.

Don't worry, just ride it.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:22 am
Super Moderator

You know, parking it on the center stand makes this go away.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:47 am

OR, keeping the bike upright for a 30 seconds or more before putting in on the side stand will usually cure the problem too--if in fact it is a problem. Honestly, my bike doesn't smoke when I park it on the center stand. It use to, but sort of quit when I started using synthetic oil. I don't really think the change of oil had much to do with it, just a coincedence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in