bmw battery charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

bmw battery charger

i have a 07 k1200lt and a bmw battery charger.i don't want to disconnect the battery because of the possible problems with the security system next spring. is it safe to leave the trickle charger on all the time or do i have to charge it periodically? won't start the bike again for 7 months. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 7:20 pm

I keep mine plugged in all the time, unless I am riding.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 7:31 pm

If you have the correct bmw charger for your battery you can leave it on. Wow 7 months of non-riding, I'd move.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Whoa. 7 months? Where's home? Couple years ago, I rode every month of the year (provided roads were clear).

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logistics
i have a 07 k1200lt and a bmw battery charger.i don't want to disconnect the battery because of the possible problems with the security system next spring. is it safe to leave the trickle charger on all the time or do i have to charge it periodically? won't start the bike again for 7 months. thanks
Never had a problem w/my security system when I unplugged the battery and put it on battery tender. Mine's an '03 with the non-BMW battery tender.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:14 pm

+1 on the battery tender. I even have one on my riding lawn mower, that sits idle for 7 months. Keeps the battery like new.

The bike never sits for more than a couple of weeks, but it does get cold in the garage. Wife won't let it sleep in the house.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Battery

I'm new to BMW having enjoyed a number of ULM's for 40 years. I bought the ubercharger (looks alot like a Battery Tender to me but costs more with a BMW logo... duh!) when I bought my bike since I have power-assisted brakes I assumed they would pull alot from the battery. I commute to work about 75 mi a day, seldom go over 100 mi at any one time and have plugged my bike in each night. I don't disconnect the battery, I just use the accessory socket adapter that came with the charger. I'm always surprised how long it takes to go to float-mode. Anyway make sure you get the right charger for your battery, which is probably maint. free/sealed like mine. No problems so far. Best of luck.

closing in on 9000 mi on my 2005 LT light yellow hippo.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Battery Tender

I just bought a 2006 LT (bought it from a member on this board and it was an excellent experience) and have been collecting some of the necessary "toys" to enjoy it to the fullest (J-pegs, Zumo GPS, charger, etc.). I already owned two Battery Tender Jr. trickle chargers and I was concerned about using this with the gel type of battery in the LT. I sent an e-mail to the Battery Tender technical support group and after they did some research they recommended that I never use a battery tender with the LT and they suggested that I purchase the BMW charger (which I did for about $70). I was surprised with their response but they should know about their own product so I'm not taking any chances. Plus, it seemed like they were acting in my best interest since they recommended that I use a product other than theirs for my needs. I'll be selling one of the Battery Tender Jr. items on ebay soon. I use the other one for my John Deer lawn tractor during winter and it really helps in the spring.

I actually haven't even used the BMW charger yet but I plan to install an outlet close to the bike and keep it plugged in at all times. Literature indicates that having it plugged in 24/7 will not hurt the battery. I also was wondering if the security system will automatically shut down after approximately 7 days if the charger is plugged in. Guess I'll find out.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:10 pm

I use a BMW charger ( there is a special type for Gel batteries ) plugged into one of those sockets which incorporate a timer.

I hour out of 24 is sufficient unless the alarm is active, then you need 3.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:24 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
Whoa. 7 months? Where's home?
According to this post: Fairbanks, Alaska.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in