Finally figured it out. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Finally figured it out.

The reliablity of expensive vehicles is inversely proportional to the cost of that vehicle. Take my sold 02 Caddy Deville, got rid of that piece of s**t because it had 33 problems, 1/2 mechanical, 1/2 electrical in 4.5 years. Lost $35,000 too. Worst car I've ever owned. Don't buy GM! Replaced it with an Accord.
Now for my LT, final drive leaks, replace crown bearing, seal and rear brake pads, throttle cable broken (BMW wants $188!!), pivot bearings loose and probabaly bad ($130!), won't trip stop lights, have to buy brake bleeders (never had a bike that didn't have them), remove canister so the plastic tank does not collupse, worst headlights on any bike I've ever owned. Then what will break: Shift linkage, engine, slave cylinder and transmission seals, valves that can't be adjusted without taking out the cams?? Service items under the tank, ie. Air cleaner and many electrical components, this is stupid.
Ok, now on to my inexpensive, $5500 new in 91, Suzuki GSX1100G's, extremely reliable, very fast, light weight, upright seating, easy to work on, inexpensive parts (comparatively & rarely purchased), better gas mileage, better handling, carries 2 (but not quite as comfortably). I know, mine has 95k miles. REMINDER TO ME: BUY CHEAP and precomputer, not nearly as much to break down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

And more problems

Forgot my LT's ABS does not work, special rear tires needed, CD skips, radiators easily exposed to damage/bugs/stones, bike wanders and passenger turbulence excessive. I'm sure I will find more.
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Sounds like you hate Chevy, love Honda... You think the LT is worthless and Suzuki has saved the world of motorcycles with their fabulous '91 model....

Why are you here on a BMW forum??? trolling?????

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 8:23 pm

To each their own. Some people don't mind working on their bike. Others hate having to work on their bike. I always enjoy a good challenge when something breaks. The parts are a little pricey, I will agree. I mean seriously $125 for a cup holder. I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, but as for the your other choice of bike, does it have the extras that the LT does have. Sure your CD skips, can you play CDs from your Suzuki. The valves not being adjustable without taking the cams out is common in a lot of bikes. I personally wish BMW would make a hydraulic valve set up so there is not a need for adjustment. Wind buffeting is adjustable. Oh and is the Suzuki as aesthetically pleasing to the eye as the LT. These are all opinions, of which you and I disagree. I am sure I could have any bike out there and find 33 problems. Oh and as far as writing off an entire company Like GM is silly too. You had one car that you didn't like. I like all brands of cars, I was raised to work on chevy's rather than fords because of the simplicity of chevy small blocks. But I have owned fords, mopar, and gm....you know what, they all sucked. They all had problems. Thats my 2 cents. Someone bashing a company off of one experience is a little disturbing. I understand bashing a dealership after being lied to or was treated rudely once...Hell I have.

Oh I forgot to put this in earlier, does the LT not have upright seating for you because mine does. You marked that as a pro for suzuki and its not a pro if both bikes have it.

Found another thing, You said the suzuki gets better gas mileage. I get about 48 mpg consistently with in town and highway driving to work. I did some research and found specs on a 93 gsx1100g gas mileage that said it got about 40 mpg.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Last edited by Jabrown; Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:34 pm.
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 9:26 am

Some people just like to complain

Sometimes I read threads on this site and have decided there are a lot of people in this world who just like to complain and will find something wrong with anything at anytime. Life is not perfect and if you think it is you are a fool.

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:54 pm

The answer is simple ---- sell it and move on. But just for the heck of it why not check out the thread thats currently running about the people who have had no problems with their LT.
Good luck on your next ride.
post #7 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:42 pm

I take it the Zucchini trips stoplights ?

And it handles better ?

Buy 'precomputer' ? ( your honda has 2 )

Try adjusting the valves on the zucchini without removing the cams, then please inform us how you did it.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Do us all a favor...SELL IT!!

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 5:48 pm

I've considered getting rid of my LT, but I doubt I will. The only thing on mine that's ever given me any trouble is the reverse gear, and I'm too lazy to fix it. Other than that I put gas in it, change the oil and go. By the way, I get 57 mpg with mine, but I admit that I ride it like an old man.

I had an S-10 I didn't like one time. The next two that I bought worked fine though.
post #10 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 8:59 pm

As the saying goes..Stop complaining....Nobody is listening anyway.

At least not here as we like these find machines.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #11 of 20 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I wonder if the price equals the "snottyness".. look at the likes of Parissss Hellton and other notorious people of wealth...

Shhh.. just don't tell your MC that it costs that much... it's our dirty little secret...

Oh.. would you please pass me the 14mm open-end wrench (not wench).

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Answers

My 2 Suzuki's, not spelled Zuchanni, or what ever:
1 gets 47 mpg, the other 48, the LT gets 45, check your actual not indicated mileage, the trip meter is way optimistic, this is over many tank fulls and as an engineer I think I can do the math correctly.
Handling! Over weight bikes will never handle as well as as lighter ones, no matter what brand, unless there is a mechanical problem. That's why they make light weight sport bikes, 350-450#. LT is 837 lbs!
OK the things I do like is the looks and comfort, but only by a little.
My Valve adjustments can be done easily with the screw and nut adjusters, when I do it every 20-30k miles they are never out of spec. Takes about an hour and I will never need to buy parts.
Oh yes, can't wait for someone to buy this overweight, overpriced, hard to work on, 2 wheel cage. Then you will never hear from me again.
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking goodbye

Just ride what ever it takes to have fun... and be safe.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Very sorry to hear that your not happy with your LT.
I don't ride mine much either these days, but in the 4 years and 50,000k's that I've owned and ridden mine, I've had very few troubles with it, the biggest one was the radio packed it in, and I brought another secondhand one for three hundred bucks from memory.

My LT has been the best bike I've ever owned.

Best of luck selling yours.

Cheers

Barry

Barry Lane
Brisbane
Australia
99 Champane K1200LT
View my ride photos here

post #15 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzbmwhnd
Oh yes, can't wait for someone to buy this overweight, overpriced, hard to work on, 2 wheel cage. Then you will never hear from me again.
Can't be too soon Ms. Troll. Hope you get at least $2k, you deserve it.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #16 of 20 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 8:38 pm

[QUOTE=
Oh yes, can't wait for someone to buy this overweight, overpriced, hard to work on, 2 wheel cage. Then you will never hear from me again.[/QUOTE]

I do know a guy looking for one, from the sounds of it, you are ready to move it, how fast do you want out of it?

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 1:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
have to buy brake bleeders (never had a bike that didn't have them)
All 3 calipers AND the clutch slave assembly have bleeders.
What many of us do is replace the standard bleeders with speed-bleeders that allow one person to do the job faster and with the least chance of letting air in the system and the least amount of fluid on the floor (or worse... on painted surfaces ).
Not sure where you got all the negative info. Although some of it may be true to an extent, I think it is largely over-exaggerated. Some of the issues you mentioned are minor and members of this forum have come up with inexpensive fixes for them.
If the LT is not the bike for you, then selling it and getting what you really want is the smartest thing to do. You've go to love what you ride... otherwise what's the point?
I am on my 3rd used LT and I loved them all! But hey... that's just me!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #18 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 2:12 pm

On Sunday I will get on my 99' Lt at about noon, ride to Skyline Drive. The next morning I will run the Blue Ridge to Maggie Valley with a smile on my face. After once again seeing what the area has to offer, I will take a nice ride to Flagler Beach and enjoy what that quiet beach town has to offer for a few days while riding some of the best roads in the Florida Hammocks. Of course, I have to go home sometime so I'll hit Rte 17 North but I will stop in the virtually vacant Hilton Head Island and lay around for a few days and maybe check out the Sea Islands of SC a bit. Then home on 17 through Norfolk and the Bay Bridge Tunnel and up Delmarva.

I scratch my head and try to think of another bike I would rather do this on and nothing comes up. Sure a lot more fun than it was when I used to run this trip on my R60US.

If the LT breaks enroute, I will gladly get it fixed.

Cheers
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 2:51 pm

Quote:
1 gets 47 mpg, the other 48, the LT gets 45, check your actual not indicated mileage, the trip meter is way optimistic, this is over many tank fulls and as an engineer I think I can do the math correctly.
Handling! Over weight bikes will never handle as well as as lighter ones, no matter what brand, unless there is a mechanical problem. That's why they make light weight sport bikes, 350-450#. LT is 837 lbs!
My Valve adjustments can be done easily with the screw and nut adjusters, when I do it every 20-30k miles they are never out of spec. Takes about an hour and I will never need to buy parts.
Just remember, it was engineers that designed the LT.

Let me check out behind my shed - I think I still have an old Stingray bicycle with a Briggs & Stratton bolted on where the pedals used be.....

Do us a favor - don't wait to sell the bike to stop posting - please.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Quote:
OH you think I don't know that the mpg indicated is optimistic. Thats why I researched it and calibrated it. You think I don't know how to check gas mileage. Your a funny man!!! The LT was never designed to be a lighter sport bike. LT "Luxury Tourer". While I am not an engineer I do have two degrees and am fully aware of how to use a solar powered calculator to figure gas mileage What is impressive though is that my LT 837lbs of it, gets better gas mileage than your lighter sportier suzy.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in