Today was my turn in the barrel - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Today was my turn in the barrel

Today I was riding my '00 LT when shifting from 2 to 3 gear I heard a faint pop, accompanied by an enornmous amount of shift lever play. I knew immediately, from reading this forum, what had happened. Sure enough, I limped a couple of blocks into my riding buddy's garage and we took the left footpeg panel off to find one of the ball joints on the shift linkage broken. Not the end of the world, and at least I wasn't stranded beside the road.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed as the old saying goes. Unhappily though, I'm one of those that tends to stick his head in the sand until the crisis actually happens. So, that is to say, I didn't act preemptively and have the needed parts on hand. I now get to go to the dealer tomorrow and order them, and wait two or three weeks for the parts to come in. While I wait, I want to pick some of your brains out there on two issues.

First, with the ball joint broken, what parts would you replace. I'm thinking all ball joints and the rubber washers (although, they were all in much better shape than those on the 02 RT). Is the collective wisdom here to replace the entire linkage, or just the set of ball joints and perhaps keepers?

Second, and very disturbing to me, is the ball joint that broke is the one facing to the outside of the bike just above where the left footpeg cover is. It is the upper ball on the most outward linkage. The inner linkage is still intact. The ball's threaded shaft broke inside the hole it goes into. I can feel a nut behind the bellcrank, and I can get a 10mm wrench on it, but I can't get that dang nut to turn at all. I've put more than enough pressure and I'm afraid I'll round the shoulders off the nut. It looks to me like this nut and the rest of the threaded portion of the ball should simply fall out of the bellcrank; but it's lodged in there pretty tight. Is this nut made on to the bellcrank and do I need to drill the rest of the stud out of the nut? Any and all assistance is much appreciated.

I think the LT is just getting even with me for taking the RT last week on a 2400 mile trip up to Mount Washington and back. It was a very enjoyable trip, but on Saturday I rode 775 miles home on the slab and the LT was sorely missed that day.

Thanks in advance for your input. I'll be looking forward to getting Emil back on the road so the wife and I can do some fall riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I replaced mine with a more heavy duty version I bought from someone on this site.......
Hopefully someone will chime in with the name.....but I'll keep looking.............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 5:10 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
I replaced mine with a more heavy duty version I bought from someone on this site.......
Hopefully someone will chime in with the name.....but I'll keep looking.............
Really interested in this replacement to have on hand. Former heavy footed HD rider and all...................

I have been very gentle but still would like this persons info if you can find it.

Thank you,

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

astuber knows of some replacements.. he'll probably chime in here pretty soon..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Got it !
Got mine from PhilJohn on this site..................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 6:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

PhilJohn makes a great product, but I have always said if you maintain the stock linkage you will never have a problem. I pull mine apart every 12K and I always find a least one loose ball stud (that is why they break).

I clean and inspect the whole shootin match and apply fresh lube. It just shifts so much better with fresh lube in each ball joint. I do carry spare ball studs for my friends that don't maintain thier linkage.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Is this nut made on to the bellcrank and do I need to drill the rest of the stud out of the nut?
Yes, the nut is welded to the bellcrank.
If all else fails you can remove the bellcrank assembly and do the removal of the stud on the workbench. It's not too bad a job to remove the bellcrank. YMMV.

Then before you install the new ball stud, take a dremel grinder with a cut off wheel and grind a screwdriver slot in the stud to aid in the removal process if it should happen again. (See pic)

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050370.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	14665  

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 8:45 pm

name of co. that sells replacement linkage

The name of the co. is powergrid. They have a web site and also sells on e-bay . Michagan phone # 586-484-7185
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you need a clean used one to get you through, just email me at Deputy5211 at LTParts dot com.
Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 9:55 pm

They get loose and then they break off.. You should be able to remove the remains of the old stud fairly easily. You might take the bellcrank off to make it a little easier..

Check, Tighten and lube the balljoints at every annual service.

If they're tight, they won't break off unless you shift like a gorilla.

Good Luck,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:16 pm

The recommendations of maintenance sound good. I'm about to get a 12k service done, I don't suppose this is part of that service at the dealer??? If not, I'll look into doing it myself. Thanks for the suggestions and tips on this one.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #12 of 14 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 8:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
I don't suppose this is part of that service at the dealer??? If not, I'll look into doing it myself. Thanks for the suggestions and tips on this one.
It is not called out in the service list other than " to check shift linkage for proper operation". You can always "ask" the dealer to do it, at an extra charge I'm sure.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

I have replaced the linkage on my 99 after it broke and I also pre-emptively replaced the one on my 03 with the kit from philjohn ([email protected]).
I bought a kit from my 05, shortly to be installed. To me this is peace of mind!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 14 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I ordered all new balls (please, no more jokes...my wife's had a heyday with this one ), new rubber washers, and new keepers. I installed them all after a thourough cleaning of the turnbuckles and bellcrank. Everything was lightly greased with white lithium grease and will be cleaned and regreased each winter during the annual service.

I did this same cleaning on the RT last year and was surprised at how much better it shifted. After doing the service on the LT, it didn't seem to change much. And, I'm pretty sure I don't shift like a gorilla because I'm VERY careful to keep my knuckles shaved daily. Although, I do get tired of my fingers dragging on the ground when I'm in traffic and don't have my hands on the bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in