Is this a fair price? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Is this a fair price?

Hello. I have been looking for an LT for a few months now. I found one, a 2002 with almost 40K miles on the East Coast. He is asking just under $10K for it. I talked to him and it has been serviced but not at the dealership. He has done all the maintenance himself. It has a backrest, cup holder and luggage rack. The only scratches are from dropping it in the parking lot (seems like the thing to do on these bikes).
I guess my question is, does this seem like a fair price? I am going to try and move on it Monday morning so I can pick it up before Christmas.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Hello. I have been looking for an LT for a few months now. I found one, a 2002 with almost 40K miles on the East Coast. He is asking just under $10K for it. I talked to him and it has been serviced but not at the dealership. He has done all the maintenance himself. It has a backrest, cup holder and luggage rack. The only scratches are from dropping it in the parking lot (seems like the thing to do on these bikes).
I guess my question is, does this seem like a fair price? I am going to try and move on it Monday morning so I can pick it up before Christmas.

search google, cyctrader.com, call a few dealers and check nada.com for your area

that should give you a better idea

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:53 am

Sent you a pm.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:15 am

You might want to shop around, while 40K isn't alot of miles on these bikes, lack of dealer servicing would make me nervous. I bought my '01 15 months ago with 9000 miles for 10 grand. So, IMHO you might look for something lower miles. The accessories you mention are not big ticket items, a comm system, GPS, factory CB, those might add value.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 1:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Take a look at the bikes at the IBMWR marketplace http://www.ibmwr.org/market/ The bike you're interested in doesn't look out of line with whats listed here. But with maintenance being suspect, unless owner has detailed records and receipts of service and parts, you better factor in the cost of a major service visit for just about everything including all fluids (full system brake bleed too). You'll get various estimates of what this will cost but start with a grand for negotiations.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 2:36 pm

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Mucho thanks so far guys. I welcome the help/comments. The seller has done all fluid (even antifreeze) and sounds like he knows what he is doing. He has a log of what has been done and even offered a tool or two that is BMW specific. I plan on talking to him tomorrow sometime again.

Thanks again...

P.S. I have been checking the boards here and have contacted a few members already.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in