Need Basic Advice on Gerbing Connectivity - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Question Need Basic Advice on Gerbing Connectivity

A little background:

1. New to motorcycling; have had my '05 LT for approx. 3 months. 2200 miles so far (2800 total miles on MCs since August '05; woo-hoo...). With winter here I finally did some shopping to pick up some basic safety gear (other than helmet, which I've always used) and some heated gear so I can continue riding/commuting for awhile.

2. Bought a pair of Gerbing's heated gloves and heated socks today. The dealer closest to me is a Harley dealership in downtown Columbus, OH. The ditzy female salesperson knew zip about these products so I was basically on my own. Also bought Gerbing's splitter; I THINK this should allow me to connect the socks and the gloves into one plug, which then goes to the bike.

3. I read all previous posts with "Gerbing" in them, and checked the HoW.

The questions:

1. Will the splitter do what I think it will? (i.e., the lead from the gloves and the lead from the socks get combined into 1 plug, which goes to the bike)

2. What Gerbing product do I need to actually plug the heated clothing items into my bike? From Gerbing's site I see they make an accessory cable, but their language on its intended use is unclear (to me) about its application to BMWs. See "accessory plug" (first item) on this page. Is that what I need?

http://www.gerbing.com/divmc/accessories/accprod.html

3. I don't have a heat controller yet. How big of a deal is it to install a permanent controller on the LT? I've seen some photos of your results from my search. As simple as this may be to most of you, I'm reluctant to get into it -- just don't have the background, tools, desire to drill a hole in the wrong place, etc. That said, would someone (other than my dealer, and hopefully within a "reasonable drive" -- whatever that is -- to Columbus) like to earn some tax-free $$ by being hired to do this little project?

4. What controller should I get, assuming my wife/passenger will eventually want her own heated clothing?

Thanks in advance!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Scroll down for some answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
The questions:

1. Will the splitter do what I think it will? (i.e., the lead from the gloves and the lead from the socks get combined into 1 plug, which goes to the bike)
Yes. But I think you may also need 2 "Glove/Sock Harness" cables from Gerbing. Because you don't have a jacket to plug the gloves into, nor do you have pants to plug the socks into. Make sense?

2. What Gerbing product do I need to actually plug the heated clothing items into my bike? From Gerbing's site I see they make an accessory cable, but their language on its intended use is unclear (to me) about its application to BMWs. See "accessory plug" (first item) on this page. Is that what I need?

Yes, that is the appropriate cable for going from the BMW outlet TO the Gerbings-type connector.

3. I don't have a heat controller yet. How big of a deal is it to install a permanent controller on the LT? I've seen some photos of your results from my search. As simple as this may be to most of you, I'm reluctant to get into it -- just don't have the background, tools, desire to drill a hole in the wrong place, etc. That said, would someone (other than my dealer, and hopefully within a "reasonable drive" -- whatever that is -- to Columbus) like to earn some tax-free $$ by being hired to do this little project?

I'm two hours away and might not mind doing it depending when you'd want it done. There may be someone closer with more free time. PM me and we'll talk.
4. What controller should I get, assuming my wife/passenger will eventually want her own heated clothing?

Heat Trollers!

I'm installing them onto my LT this winter too.

Thanks in advance!
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:32 pm

I'm not a Gerbing expert but this is what I use; Heated jacket (works great) and heated socks. My jacket and socks are pluged into the Gerbing dual heat controller which is pluged into Gerbing BMW adapter which plugs into the bike. The nice thing about the dual heat controller is I can lower the temp on the jacket and keep my feet toasty warm. I keep the controller in my over pants side pocket. Are you sure you need the Gerbing Gloves........so far the heated grips on the LT just about burn my hands on high. You might want to check with your local BMW dealer, mine carries all of the Gerbing equipment. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Makse sense?
Yes, perfectly. Gerbings does things right: they give you the required long cable to get up the sleeves (or up the pants legs) to their vest, or to the port on the LT.

I'll PM you with a "service" request.
Thanks!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
I'm not a Gerbing expert but this is what I use; Heated jacket (works great) and heated socks. My jacket and socks are pluged into the Gerbing dual heat controller which is pluged into Gerbing BMW adapter which plugs into the bike. The nice thing about the dual heat controller is I can lower the temp on the jacket and keep my feet toasty warm. I keep the controller in my over pants side pocket. Are you sure you need the Gerbing Gloves........so far the heated grips on the LT just about burn my hands on high. You might want to check with your local BMW dealer, mine carries all of the Gerbing equipment. Hope this helps.
I don't have the Gerbing jacket; just bought a Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket today, and will add the Gerbing liner if (when!) it gets even colder here and I find it necessary.

Now I understand how the dual controller works; I thought it was for 2 people, not 2 separate clothing items to be controlled to different temps. (or, perhaps it can be used either way?)

I have been using the heated grips with regular winter gloves (gauntlet-style). Yes: the grips, even on the higher setting, haven't kept my hands as warm as I'd like them to be. More specifically, the bottom of the fingers and the palm are warm, but the upper (unheated) parts are not. That's why I went ahead and bought the gloves. I may find I need the heated jacket liner also, but haven't had a chance yet to try the new Tourmaster jacket (unheated, of course). And, since I had NO protective gear prior to today (other than helmet), I couldn't see buying the Gerbing jacket for winter use and another jacket for the other seasons. That opinion may change!

What overpants do you use? I just got a basic pair today: uninsulated and not armored, but water-resistant, by Fieldsheer.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Nov 26th, 2005 at 10:18 pm.
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
PM me.
Email sent.

Thank you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 11:14 pm

Here is my experience with Gerbings stuff. I have the jacket liner (not the vest), heated overpants, heated gloves and socks. I plug the socks into the power cords in the pant legs and the gloves into the sleeves of the jacket. I have the dual control unit which I put in the leather case and I clip it to my Chicane tank bag. The power cable to the controller then takes a short trip under the seat and connects via the Gerbings plug to the Gerbings supplied harness, which has it's own fuse and could easily connect to the battery. I have connected mine to an auxiliary fuse box I use for farkles.
In this way I can control my upper body temperature separately from the lower.
I bought everything from Gerbings directly on the web and they were very quick to ship everything. The gloves and socks each came with cables that could be run up your jeans or other non-heated pants and connect to the temperature controller. The gloves came with similar cables.
I thought about installing the permanent type controller, but that meant more drilling and unscrewing/screwing of panels. With the portable unit I was up and heating in 10 minutes. I also got a pair of the coiled cords so I have some room to move when getting on and off the bike.
I used this system this weekend on a ride from Greenville, NC to Philadelphia and back. Temperature on day one was 28 to 43 degrees, day two 28 to 50. I was very pleased, except for a couple of cold spots I felt very comfortable the whole time. I could easily reach down and adjust the temperature without taking my eyes off the road. I wore a pair of light cotton knee length socks under my Gerbing socks and the pants I wore over a pair of Draggin jeans, The jacket liner I wore over a turtle neck and lightweight fleece sweater. I did wear a fleece neck warmer as well. The gloves are a bit bulky, but manageable. The electric wire adds thickness as well as stiffness, I felt like I was doing gripping exercises just to make a fist. I was doing a fair amount of stop and go in traffic and my hands got a bit sore and stiff. The good news is my fingertips and toes stayed warm pretty well. The only problems was when I had my feet out on the Jpegs during the coldest temperatures some cool air kept sneaking in the pant legs and my lower legs were cool. I tried tightening the velcro, but that didn't help. I suppose lightweight long underwear would help, but that's what I was trying to avoid with the Gerbings. Overall a great product that will extend my riding season. I think the portable controller works great and in the spring I can put it in a box until needed again.
Hope this helps.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #8 of 25 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
Hope this helps.
All good info. Thank you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Update

Thanks for all the good info received so far. THIS IS HOW us newbies learn about these various products, and it's appreciated.

I placed an order with Gerbing's, from their web site, for some things I now know I'll need: a dual temp controller, a couple of coil cords (for convenience), and the all-important accessory plug (actually makes the whole thing work).

Thanks, and feel free to post more advice/suggestions/etc. on this topic.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #10 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 3:57 am

Howard,

here is a simple way to mount your portable heat-troller. Good old Velcro...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2284

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #11 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 5:33 am

I have used Gerbing products for many years now and have the set up you describe, plus I have one of their heated liners as well.

My answers are below your questions and a recommendation at the bottom of it all.

[QUOTE=hschisler]The questions:

Yes, if you want to. Otherwise you can plug them in separately, although I would not use it this way.

The plugs you can get from a variety of places, besides Gerbing. Below are other sources you can compare with:

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=8
http://www.powerletproducts.com/index.php?mid=0
http://www.warmnsafe.com/

It is not too difficult to install a permanent Heat-Troller on the LT. However, use a portable Heat-Troller and you don't have any installation issues. I've used the Heat-Trollers for many years without any issues.

Personally, I would not get anything but the Heat-Troller. I think Raffy, who is part of this list, sells it/them.

He also have the new electric liners from the same company. I am using their new liners and the Gerbing liner is now retired and kept as a "back-up".

The new liners are also available in a model especially cut for women and my wife is really pleased with hers.

Check http://motogear4you.com

Best of luck,

Stefan
post #12 of 25 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:41 am

Quote:
I don't have the Gerbing jacket; just bought a Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket today, and will add the Gerbing liner if (when!) it gets even colder here and I find it necessary.

Now I understand how the dual controller works; I thought it was for 2 people, not 2 separate clothing items to be controlled to different temps. (or, perhaps it can be used either way?)

I have been using the heated grips with regular winter gloves (gauntlet-style). Yes: the grips, even on the higher setting, haven't kept my hands as warm as I'd like them to be. More specifically, the bottom of the fingers and the palm are warm, but the upper (unheated) parts are not. That's why I went ahead and bought the gloves. I may find I need the heated jacket liner also, but haven't had a chance yet to try the new Tourmaster jacket (unheated, of course). And, since I had NO protective gear prior to today (other than helmet), I couldn't see buying the Gerbing jacket for winter use and another jacket for the other seasons. That opinion may change!

What overpants do you use? I just got a basic pair today: uninsulated and not armored, but water-resistant, by Fieldsheer.
I'm using First Gear overpants. The Gerbing jacket is an under garment, so it's worn underneath your protective jacket.
post #13 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Joe,

Why the HeatTroller vs. Gerbings controller?

Just curious - may end with some heated 'stuff' myself (no more Michelin Man imatations)...
post #14 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:47 pm

Quote:
A little background:

Thanks in advance!
get one directly from heat troller, they will last longer than the gerbing one, get a dual controller as well, it will produce better heat control and better heat

at least this is my experience

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #15 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:58 pm

Quote:
I don't have the Gerbing jacket; just And, since I had NO protective gear prior to today (other than helmet), I couldn't see buying the Gerbing jacket for winter use and another jacket for the other seasons. That opinion may change!

here is my setup,

Belstaff trekker Jacket
Gerbings jacket liner (not outerwear)
Gerbings outer pants (not liner)
Schampa skinny shirt and pants
gerbing heated gloves
Dual heat troller
Full coverage helmet
Schampa mini neck gaitor (and I own a balaclava as well (which I never wear anymore)

I wear my skinny pants then my gerbing pants (no jeans between them)
I wear my Skinny shirt then my Gerbing jacket liner (no shirt between them)
Then my Belstaff over them,
plug in my dual heat troller to the pants and jacket

I'm good in the low 30's on LONG rides and very seldom do I turn up the heat all the way.

I don't ever wear the heated gloves anymore, Ok unless it is below 25 (which I have only rode in that low a couple times)

I'm really warm like this and I'm from FL (aka thin blood) and not used to the cold yet, We moved up here to the mountains a while back

Tom

Tom

post #16 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:08 pm

Good info Tom - Thanks for sharing...

I'm looking for something that will keep me good down to the low 20's - thermal underware just doesn't cut it when it gets that cold! brrrr.....

Appreciate the post on your thoughts on the HeatTroller vs. Gerbing controller....
post #17 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Joe,
Why the HeatTroller vs. Gerbings controller?
HeatTroller is a smaller company with great customer service. Not that I've ever heard anything bad about Gerbings, customer service wise...

Their products are practically identical...as well as their prices.
post #18 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:45 pm

Quote:
HeatTroller is a smaller company with great customer service. Not that I've ever heard anything bad about Gerbings, customer service wise...

Their products are practically identical...as well as their prices.
heat troller orginally made the ones for gerbing, now gerbing has them made out of country

Tom

post #19 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Good info Tom - Thanks for sharing...

I'm looking for something that will keep me good down to the low 20's - thermal underware just doesn't cut it when it gets that cold! brrrr.....

Appreciate the post on your thoughts on the HeatTroller vs. Gerbing controller....

your welcome, we are in the 20's now here, this will be my first full time winter up here , but i am not going to put the bike away, btw for the year rounders there is a cool site that started not long ago, I posted it earlier, think it is in chit chat. You can ask Joe how the schampa stuff works as well, (shamelss plug for me <g>)

Tom

Tom

post #20 of 25 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:42 pm

Howard

Here are some comments on actually wearing the gear.

1. On cold days, the real benefit of Gerbings is that you can be warm, with reduced bulk. Its great to be out when its below freezing and not much beefier than in summer.

2. Being in OH, your first purchase should be the jacket, which you would wear under your outer jacket. By keeping your core warm, you will be very much more comfortable. Hands and feet are secondary. My strongest recommendation is to buy immediately - don't wait, you should be using it now.

3. Wearing the jacket and pants. The key here is to get them close to your skin. Resist the temptation to put them on top of a fleece etc. I wear a very thin black silk long-sleeved singlet, same with long silk underpants, then the Gerbings stuff, then the outer layer. Its all slippery, slides between each layer beautifully, and its relatively non-bulky. Feels excellent to ride in. My only problem has been hot knees on occasions, on very cold days when the temp is right up.

4. I found the gloves were just OK. The main problem I have with my hands in cold weather is the back of my fingers upon which the heated grips have no effect. The Gerbings did improve on that, but seemed to be designed for riders on bikes without heated grips, so they put more effort into heating the palm area of your hand, something we don't need really.

5. The socks are OK, but were uncomfortable to walk in. I find my feet are the area that I get coldest on still.

6. The clothes are definitely made in a size for the beefier person. At first I found the jacket was far too loose away from the elastic at the cuff areas - it sort of billowed out. Since I have taken to always wearing a full back protector for the last couple of years, I am much snugger as the jacket is squashed into contact with me. You might like to ride with a kidney belt to stay extra warm around the lower back, a weak area with the Gerbings gear as the pants and jacket drift apart and a cold spot starts creeping in ....

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #21 of 25 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Howard

Here are some comments on actually wearing the gear.

1. On cold days, the real benefit of Gerbings is that you can be warm, with reduced bulk. Its great to be out when its below freezing and not much beefier than in summer.

5. The socks are OK, but were uncomfortable to walk in. I find my feet are the area that I get coldest on still.

6. The clothes are definitely made in a size for the beefier person. At first I found the jacket was far too loose away ....

oh yea, glad you mentioned it, I must add, I was much happier when I had Gerbing make my liner specifically for me, they will take your measurements and build to fit you, wow what a Difference!!

I gave my old stuff away

like you I have the socks and they are not comfortable to walk in for any time,

Tom

Tom

post #22 of 25 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
heat troller orginally made the ones for gerbing, now gerbing has them made out of country
Wish I had know that before I purchased mine. I'd rather buy American.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #23 of 25 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Talking 800 miles south of . . . ME!

Tom...you bust me up! You've lived in Fla and now North GA...and you talk about heated gear like you actually ever need the stuff!!!

post #24 of 25 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Gerbings makes two kinds of socks. One with wires all around one with wires only on the top of your feet. I have the latter and other than the feed wire extending out the top of my boots they feel like any pair of wool socks. I have walked all day in them (when not riding of course).

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #25 of 25 Old Dec 5th, 2005, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
Gerbings makes two kinds of socks. One with wires all around one with wires only on the top of your feet.
Gerbing calls these the "comfort socks":
http://www.gerbing.com/divmc/clothing/sockscomfort.html

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in