05 and torn miniscus left knee - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

05 and torn miniscus left knee

Ok, I am just curious. I have torn the outside miniscus in my left knee. I jumped in a creek about 3 months ago and hurt my ankle and foot but did not have knee problem until about a month ago. I do alot of 2 up riding so the luggage is usually very full and let's admit it , the LT is a heavy bike especially the 05 coming off that sidestand whcihc has more lean than prior years. I am only 5'6 and about 185#'s. I was wondering if anyone else with an 05 has been having any unexplained left knee pain. Could it be raising the bike off the side stand? Maybe it was the creek, I hope so because I love the LT.
Rode the K1200S today at an open house and I liked the LT so much more.

Last edited by mpillis; Oct 1st, 2005 at 10:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 9:47 pm

Meniscus injuries are most often from a twisting injury where the shearing forces cause a separation or tear in the cartilage. You should recall such a twist injury, like someone clipping you while playing football. I would think riding the K12 would more likely cause a different injury. It is more likely to strain the outer ligaments of the knee, rather than meniscus. Long trips with long legs on high pegs makes for sore knees.

Now if you were to have dropped the bike on your leg, that would be a better explaination for the meniscus tear.

Last edited by mongo; Oct 1st, 2005 at 9:52 pm.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:31 am

Red face Ouch my Knee

My right knee had simular problems and even after one surgury it still hurts. Its been hurting for 15 or more years.

I hit the "Muilthip" weight machine and that helps with strength and my abilty to keep riding.

Go see a Physical Therapist, they can help!!!

Dont give that up.

Stevea2980

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:31 am

Question injured knee pain

having jumped down from more then one large truck during the days my friends and neighbors sent me to Viet Nam, my right knee was paining me to the point I was ready to give up riding. A good friend suggested I try a OTC product that contains Glucosimine. Glory be knee pain is gone several years on an R1200CLC and now 05 LT show the effectiveness of this product for me. Flip side have a friend that got no relief even with double the suggested dose. went for surgery and now he is pain free.
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:37 am

Hi-

I have the problem with my meniscus right now on the L Knee and I am still riding the LT. I chose the non-surgical option for the time being eventhough I have lost some of my range of motion.

No problem whatsoever to ride ( I have a large meniscal tear and the dr. was surprised by my healing ).

So, go ahead and ride your bike
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 2:28 pm

Torn Miniscus

As mentioned in some of the above responses, miniscus tears usually involve a twist to the knee. I tore mine by jumping an obstacle and landing with my foot in a gopher hole. As strange as it may sound, that gopher hole got me a wife...Anyway...

After my injury, I came very close to selling my motorcycle. A friend talked me out of it. (Now THAT is a good friend!).

I learned that post injury complications involve can scarring (which can require surgury to remove), and arthritis. The level of scarring (and possible arthritis) depend on the level of injury and location. Certain areas of the miniscus have better blood flow (better chance of healing) than other areas. The key is to find a GOOD doctor that specializes in knee injuries. One doctor that I would recommend is Ken Shelbourne in Indianapolis (Methodist Sports Center). He has written several articles for the NE Journal of Medicine and (from experience) considers reconstructive surgeries a last resort.

The key to reducing the chance of further knee injury is to increase quad strength. There are many different fitness machines that can help, but I would recommend having a good physical therapist show you proper form/technique and then make the exercises part of your daily routine.

Take care.
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:37 pm

Your knee, like mine, is part of a kinetic chain (the foot bone is connected to the leg bone, leg bone to the thigh bone, thigh bone to pelvic bone, etc.) and restrictions in joint movements above and below the knee may create extra stress on the knee joint and weaken the muscular control of the knee joint too. Ask around for a recommendation for a sports chiropractor in your area. They will be able to assess and treat the whole kinetic chain and provide appropriate exercises. When appropriate, I coach my patients in functional exercises such as, standing with piece of exercise tubing attached around one ankle with the other end of the tubing attached to the leg of some heavy furniture. Balancing on the free leg, pull on the tubing 8 - 12 reps then turn your body about 90 degrees and pull again, turn, and pull again until your have worked the muscles on all sides of your leg and hip. You'll discover that the stance leg really gets the workout. If the knee pain does not respond with any conservative therapies, you should consider a surgical approach. Hope that my .02 cents helps. I agree the LT at rest is a heavy bike.
Terry
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:46 pm

Wink

Knee problems, I'm sorry to say are endemic with people (especially active guys) when we get later in life. I dont think it would be caused by your bike but it certainly could be agrivated by it. Next time you see your orthapedist talk with him/her about a knee replacement. easy procedure and well worth it. Good Luck and keep riding!
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:19 pm

Historically knee problems are of the medial compartment not lateral knee as you describe. If the problem had a insidious onset the meniscus pathology is a secondary coincidental finding. May I suggest another opinion and a MRI.

Pete
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 7:03 pm

two bad knees

Both my knees are bad from years of being in the constuction bussiness. I had the cartalige fixed in the left one and it still hurt for years. I use to limp when I walked because they were so sore. What has worked for me is yoga.
They are still a little sensitive but man, they're a 100% better and I have no limp. Can ride all day with very little discomfort. Good luck.

[COLOR=Red][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Ron
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 9:23 pm

I have to second the glucosamine HCL and Chondrotin sulfate. I had 2 surgeries after tearing my meniscus about 20 years ago. Regained the strength in my leg by bicycle riding but still had pain. I started taking glucosamine/chondrotin a few years ago and now have no pain. Works well on the dog also. We share a bottle I pickup at Costco. YMMV

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Find a good ortho

I had a torn meniscus for about two and a half years and it wasn't getting any better. Finally, I changed PCP's because the first one said that it was just arthritis. The second one ordered an MRI and then sent me to a good knee man who trimmed out the tear and removed a chunk that was blocking motion. Good as new, almost. But most important, the idea of quitting riding because of the constant pain is now totally out of my brain.
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:04 pm

Bad knee

If it is a minuscus tear, get it scoped. Only way to fix it as it won't heal by itself. You are probably an old man, like me and things wear out. Had it done to both my knees. Pretty quick heal time.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in