Fixed rear PTT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Talking Fixed rear PTT

Hello, everyone:

This will be (I hope) the final post on my CB installation. As you may recall, I had trouble with the dealer who installed the J&M CB on Mein Byk and managed to ruin the rear PTT button by compressing it below the rear seat support. I confronted him and was refunded my money as well as the cost of the PTT. Today I decided to takle the problem myself. I found the crushed area, cut it and spliced it back together by soldering and reinsulating the wires. I went a bit further, though, by taking this velcro PTT button, which would normally be strapped to the grab bar on the left saddlebag, thereby making it impossible to open without first undoing the velcro, and installing it "professionally." I drilled a 1/2 in hole in the black plastic that surrounds the rear seat, and enlarged it just enough for the button to fit snugly. I then found a tubular spacer that came from a set of Kuryakun grips I installed on a friend's bike and used it as a support from below the button. To my great surprise, it fit perfectly and the button doesn't slip back through the hole. I secured the support with some black silicone and buttoned everything back up. I now have a functional rear PTT button that looks like it was always there. Just wanted to share this small accomplishment with all of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearPTT.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	929   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTTSupport.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	930   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTTSupport2.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	931  

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 8:24 pm

Same spot, but on the opposite side is where I installed three inline volume controls for my intercom. Accessible, yet out-of-the-way. Great minds do think alike! Or, maybe it's just a "Joe thing".
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 2:40 pm

Now tell the truth Joe. Did you do it without some handing you the tools?

Looks great.

Bob

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Now tell the truth Joe. Did you do it without some handing you the tools?

Looks great.

Bob
Thanks for the complement. Actually, yes I did do it without a helper. I set up a little TV tray table next to me and put my lamp, wiring stuff, soldering iron, etc. on it. My family had gone out and I was on call, so I couldn't really go anywhere far. I must be within 15 minutes of the hospital. Having trained in a public hospital where one had to fend for oneself, I can put in an IV by myself and usually can draw blood on a squirming newborn without help. This was easy in comparison. Doing it this way is something I'm used to. I must confess, soldering the tiny wires with only my two hands was a bit tedious, though. I could have used an extra pair of hands, but, such is life.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:18 pm

Iíve got two sets of helping hands to help with soldering. Alligator clips on swivel joints on a heavy small stands.

Alligator clips mounted to 10-12 gauge solid conductor wire can sub for helping hands on a bike.

In a pinch, Iíve used the wire ties for garbage bags.

I like the TV tray idea!

Iím allergic to dust. So, when Iím in my garage, I ware a dust mask. Would be useful to get a head band with a lite on it. Maybe a little paper hat to go with the light?

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in