Brown Wire On 2005 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Brown Wire On 2005

I have been all over the same area where my prior 2003 LT had the brown wire exposed. Does anyone know if the brown wire has been eliminated on the 2005 or moved to another location?

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Unhappy Brown wire on 2005

I just try to find the brown wire on my 2005. and without good result. I'll be happy if somebody could help.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 3:59 pm
Super Moderator

There is no "brown wire" on the 2005 and later LTs. The Motronic was completely reprogrammed for the power upgrades made in 2005 and the mapping changed so the low speed hesitation was addressed.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Brown wire on 2005 LT's

Because there is no brown wire on 2005 LT's and later model, do you anybody know how I can remove the hesitation?
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
ppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojalpert
Because there is no brown wire on 2005 LT's and later model, do you anybody know how I can remove the hesitation?
What hesitation ? Certainly no hesitation on mine !
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can you describe the conditions and manner in which your bike hesitates? I have an 05 LT and haven't experienced the hesitation(s) that were present on my 99 or 02 LTs (pre brown-wire-snip).

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:29 pm

In the hot weather the motor knocking between rpm's 2000 -3500 and when I open little more throttle the motor "stump" and does not take more rpm's normally. It happens normally after long ride when I eg. stop to trafic lights.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:43 pm

I'm not sure what part of the country you're in as you didn't fill in your profile,
but the first question I have to ask is are you using premium gas?

I had an 02 and experienced hesitation, cut the brown wire and it dissapeared,
now I have an 05 and there is no hesitation and when I twist the throttle between 2000 and 3500 rpm there is only....yeeehaaa.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 5:19 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
In the hot weather the motor knocking between rpm's 2000 -3500 and when I open little more throttle the motor "stump" and does not take more rpm's normally. It happens normally after long ride when I eg. stop to trafic lights.
What grade of gas are you running, and what brand generally? Also, what are the weather conditions when you experience this? Even if it had a brown wire to cut it wouldn't solve the problem you are describing.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:37 pm

I am from Scandinavia and normally I use Shell V-power 99+ octane fuel, becasue it's working absolutely the best. I removed sparkplugs after 100 miles driving and one of them was quite "black" and other ones were normal lightgray. What are you thinking guys should it be possible that one injector not working well. Too rich mixture to one cylinder and after that Lambda loopback control tune the wrong mixture to the motor.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Quote:
I am from Scandinavia and normally I use Shell V-power 99+ octane fuel, becasue it's working absolutely the best. I removed sparkplugs after 100 miles driving and one of them was quite "black" and other ones were normal lightgray. What are you thinking guys should it be possible that one injector not working well. Too rich mixture to one cylinder and after that Lambda loopback control tune the wrong mixture to the motor.
If you have one black plug it could be a leaking injector causing that cylinder to run rich. Normally if the ECU (Motronic) was sending injection pulses that were too long at least TWO cylinders would be running rich. I am pretty sure that two injectors each are controlled by two firing pulses.

A black plug can also be caused by oil bypassing a ring or intake valve guide, but that coating will be rather shiny and "wet" looking, where a rich mixture will cause a dull "powdery" black coating.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
If you have one black plug it could be a leaking injector causing that cylinder to run rich..
Same thought here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Normally if the ECU (Motronic) was sending injection pulses that were too long at least TWO cylinders would be running rich. I am pretty sure that two injectors each are controlled by two firing pulses.
Yep. And a defective (open too long) injector would also explain the stumbling -- if the Moronic is leaning out the mixture (in response to a "too rich" O2 sensor signal from the one cylinder's contribution to the exhaust gases), the other three cylinders would be running too lean, resulting in misfiring that would be frequent enough to feel like "stumbling." My vote's for one bad injector, too (or, less likely, a problem in the wiring harness to the injector).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in