Iron Butt Rally Rear Drive Failures - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 7:35 am Thread Starter

Iron Butt Rally Rear Drive Failures

I know that rear drive failure has become a tired, old topic. I am not tryng to beat this dead horse, but rather helping to make sure that we BMW owners continue to discuss this topic in hopes that BMW will (finally) react with changes to the design fo the rear drive that eliminate the failures.

Here is a paragraph taken from the 2007 Iron Butt Rally report:

"The Tarnished Blue and White Roundel

A disproportionate number of the DNFs fall on the shoulders of BMW. BMW failed several riders, demonstrating that they are no longer capable of building motorcycles that can run 11,000 miles in 11 days without a significant fraction experiencing a catastrophic drivetrain failure of some sort. BMW of North America has requested contact information for the riders who experienced failures. The riders BMW should be more concerned about are the thousands of unsuspecting souls who will breakdown in the future because the company has lost its previous ability to either design durable drivetrain components or (more likely) adequately monitor production and assembly quality. It's way, way past time for BMW to fix its drivetrain reliability problems. A good start might be to acknowledge that there is a problem. "

I used to own a Honda GL1800. Gold Wings were known for chronic overheating and cracked frame welds. Mother Honda was slow to implement any changes to cure these problems until a sufficient number of owners field complaints, and (importantly) continued to post about their problems on various web sites. The potential loss of new business was enough to force Honda to make changes that cured the problems.

I truely hope the same happens with BMW, as I, like many others, deeply like owning and riding BMWs. But my patience is limited.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 7:54 am

And yet, BMW placed first and second. Where did the first Honda place? Umm...10th! I think that's the only stat that BMW Motorrad will look at.

And this comes from a victim of a failed FD. But I'm over it. And still riding a BMW, without regrets.
post #3 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 8:14 am

A couple of FD failures at the IBR were expected the alarming stat was that 30% of the R12 "new improved" design FDs failed.

Embarrassing for BMW - it should be. Still hoping BMW pays attention.

Unlike Joe, no FD failure yet but I will continue to ride my BMW without concern - well maybe just a little.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And yet, BMW placed first and second. Where did the first Honda place? Umm...10th! I think that's the only stat that BMW Motorrad will look at.

And this comes from a victim of a failed FD. But I'm over it. And still riding a BMW, without regrets.
A Sportster finished third. I don't know that I would use an individual's finish in the IB to demonstrate overall relliability of the brand? If you point was that BMW would hide behind those results, then we agree.

There were 4 Beemers in the top ten, demonstrating more likely that there are a larger percentage of people that prefer to participate in IBs AND own BMW's. In fact, other than the Sporty, pretty much all the bikes were sport tourers (four FJR's, an ST1300, two RT's, etc.).

Also of note, was that of those 4 BMWs, none were LT's, demonstrating possibly that lighter weight bikes would have less FD failures?

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

Last edited by bibleman; Sep 18th, 2007 at 10:50 am.
post #5 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:27 am

Rear bites the dust for 3rd time, BMW dealer don't wanna know

I have been a bit dubious about the rear since the last rebuild, but out on a trip Friday, it started to steer from the rear.
Lucky I was passing a BMW dealer! Or was I?

"yep, it's your pinions, whats the mileage?"
"just over 80k, this is the 3rd failure!"
"oh, that's not bad going, I'd expect a rear to last 10k on average. You will have to take it back to whoever did the job on it last time. We are full up"

Needless to say, I went ballistic!!

The BMW dealer I used last time swore they had NEVER come across a rear drive problem before!

I LOVE the bike and maybe I am mad, but I will spend ANYTHING to get it reliable. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a new rear drive. But I won't be using either of these dealers to put the new rear in.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Rear Drive

c00k1e

Why not get a 2nd hand one from Motorworks or Motobins and find a local engineering company (or gearbox rebuilders) to repair your old drive? Just a thought.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #7 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 3:07 pm

It has crossed my mind to go 2nd hand, but there would be no knowing if the drive had already been rebuilt.
What I am hearing from these forums is that a mint unit has 4% chance of failing, but a rebuilt unit is way way more.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

It's interesting that BMW veered away from shaft drive for the F800 bikes, quite a break from tradition for BMW. Perhaps this is the start of the elimination of the shaft drive for all models.

I wonder if the goofy hole through the rear axel on the newer models has any impadct on FD durability?

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #9 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 6:22 pm

"oh, that's not bad going, I'd expect a rear to last 10k on average."

Huh ?????
post #10 of 35 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:12 pm

No LT FD's failed during the IB rally...... So whats the problem???? 4 of the 1st 5 were BMW....

The total number of FD failures throughout BMW is a 0.00XXX so that ain't much now is it??? Quit worrying and go ride...............Pete
post #11 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 7:57 am

BMW has not done squat yet, from the looks of it they never will, they (THeMOCO SUCKs)

NEXT, the placing of any particular brand in the Iron Butt Rally, means nothing!!, so BMW had failures, so BMW had a 1st place finish, a sportster comes in third this year, last IBR that same sportster blew a engine. Yes same bike, same owner.
This year Particularly was the hardest IBR to plan from what every one art the IBR dinner said, some of who I value thier opinion more so then any one single person on this list when it comes to the Iron Butt Rally.

Trust me, the rally finish is the last thing to consider when picking a bike to buy or not to buy! Remember nearly Half of the entries did not FINSH the rally. what something like ninety seven entered, forty something finished. PLUS there were over 40 BMW's entered in the rally so what 4 had final drive issues (<g>)

The dealer network is the big down point for BMW, not the bike.

Forget the bs about honda, I'm fast seeing it is the most dependable machine on the road between the ST1300 and Goldwing! and they do take care of thier problems.

Forget most of the bs about HD they are lasting longer MUCH longer, underpowered yes! (However they still are having a problem with the HS wobbles on the glides - If you buy a glide have a true track or ride straight installed)

Personally, I would think about Honda 1st! if all I have in mind is not being broke down in the middle of No WHERE looking for dealer support, or Harley Davidson 2nd.

BUT we still bought new bmw's again! and we travel quite a bit.

JUST my hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles of personal riding experience and hearing what others have to say -
hell just since 08/02 we have over 270k miles on BMW alone.

ONE FINAL DRIVE FAILURE on the '02 K1200LT it now has 155k miles on it

heck we had TWO new trans put in the '02 RT by 56k miles, I'd say the final drives are far more dependable than thier transmissions used in the RT, at least from our experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
I know that rear drive failure has become a tired, old topic. I am not tryng to beat this dead horse, but rather helping to make sure that we BMW owners continue to discuss this topic in hopes that BMW will (finally) react with changes to the design fo the rear drive that eliminate the failures.

Here is a paragraph taken from the 2007 Iron Butt Rally report:

"The Tarnished Blue and White Roundel

A disproportionate number of the DNFs fall on the shoulders of BMW. BMW failed several riders, demonstrating that they are no longer capable of building motorcycles that can run 11,000 miles in 11 days without a significant fraction experiencing a catastrophic drivetrain failure of some sort. BMW of North America has requested contact information for the riders who experienced failures. The riders BMW should be more concerned about are the thousands of unsuspecting souls who will breakdown in the future because the company has lost its previous ability to either design durable drivetrain components or (more likely) adequately monitor production and assembly quality. It's way, way past time for BMW to fix its drivetrain reliability problems. A good start might be to acknowledge that there is a problem. "

I used to own a Honda GL1800. Gold Wings were known for chronic overheating and cracked frame welds. Mother Honda was slow to implement any changes to cure these problems until a sufficient number of owners field complaints, and (importantly) continued to post about their problems on various web sites. The potential loss of new business was enough to force Honda to make changes that cured the problems.

I truely hope the same happens with BMW, as I, like many others, deeply like owning and riding BMWs. But my patience is limited.
post #12 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
It's interesting that BMW veered away from shaft drive for the F800 bikes, quite a break from tradition for BMW. Perhaps this is the start of the elimination of the shaft drive for all models.

I wonder if the goofy hole through the rear axel on the newer models has any impadct on FD durability?
If I'm not mistaken, that's a Rotax engine, is it not? That might explain why they went belt.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #13 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
<whack>
The total number of FD failures throughout BMW is a 0.00XXX so that ain't much now is it??? Quit worrying and go ride...............Pete

Hi Pete!, couple of quesitons if ya don't mind

how many miles do you ride a year?
how far do you go from home?
How oftten do you travel in the middle of no where at night?
do you have time schedule when you have to be back home?

just wondering seeing how you do not worry about getting stuck at all

oops almost forgot, can you show us BMW's stats on the final drive failures? you must know seeing how you have it something like .00xx, percent? I mean heck it was right at 10% on the rally <grin>

Tom
post #14 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 3:49 pm

okay,, most answers are pre-qualified to when I rode regularly,, health problems have changed habits the last few years.......

My normal distance per year averaged about 20 thousand a year, more after I retired........

Never really measured how far I went from home, could be only 1 state, allot of times it was 4 or 5..Usually 2 to 25 hundred miles per trip,(depended on how much drinking was involved)...

Most, not all traveling during the day but to ride all night is a blast.........

Nope, never worried about getting home.. I knew I'd get back home sooner or later..And I never worried about breaking down,I don't think I was smart enough to realize that could happen........

Finally, you do the math, I'm not good at it, but BMW has sold allot of bikes, like one hundred thousand last year( I know not all shaft drives) so 1% FD failures would be a thousand bikes,, and that ain't happened.........Sure BMW's break, but so does all other bike brands,,just part of life.............

Can we go ride now?? ..........Pete
post #15 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
okay,, most answers are pre-qualified to when I rode regularly,, health problems have changed habits the last few years.......

My normal distance per year averaged about 20 thousand a year, more after I retired........

Never really measured how far I went from home, could be only 1 state, allot of times it was 4 or 5..Usually 2 to 25 hundred miles per trip,(depended on how much drinking was involved)...

Most, not all traveling during the day but to ride all night is a blast.........

Nope, never worried about getting home.. I knew I'd get back home sooner or later..And I never worried about breaking down,I don't think I was smart enough to realize that could happen........

Finally, you do the math, I'm not good at it, but BMW has sold allot of bikes, like one hundred thousand last year( I know not all shaft drives) so 1% FD failures would be a thousand bikes,, and that ain't happened.........Sure BMW's break, but so does all other bike brands,,just part of life.............

Can we go ride now?? ..........Pete
Not sure if we can go ride or not,

ok bmw sold what under 15k in the us? so do you have real numbers of failures? world wide if you say they sold 100k bikes last year?

I mean I would like to know where you get the 1% number from, heck there was just another member here that posted a friends RT lost his final drive on a '06 RT.

My point is, you may not care if your final fails but many do, maybe it;s time for everyone to quit ignoring the problem and let BMW know they are fed up,

oh wait there is no final drive failure problem, I forgot!
sheesh what am I thinking!
only 4 on one measly rally, only another today I read of here on the lt forum of a RT-p heck that must be the only 5, oh wait I can think of at least 3 more I read of just today between here the K-bikes and the other lists I'm on so hey that is only 8 final drive failures on the new style FD's and heck I didn't even do any digging......

nope i see no problem at all.........

(shakin my head, thinking they are just not getting it)

tom
post #16 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 5:46 pm

Tom;

Ok Tom lets go with your numbers. Lets say they sold 15 k usa. And 50 % are LTs and 10% fail FD. That means 90 % YES 90% NINETY PERCENT of BMWs and their riders are having a great time. 80000 on mine no problems with anything mechanical,just had a radio go out. I have owned 14 bikes some better than others when it breaks I fix it. I ride about 25k/YR. Took a 6000 miler 2 years ago and NEVER thought about the bike failing. I thought about what a great time Im having with my wife, this BEAUTIFUL country
and what a great time I'm having on this great machine. After 37 yrs this is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. Maybe Im the lucky one ,oh thats right there is another 89 % of us. Ok No hard feelings just tired of hearing bad news about ANY motorcycle.

Zeke
Go Pete.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #17 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Tom;

Ok Tom lets go with your numbers. Lets say they sold 15 k usa. And 50 % are LTs and 10% fail FD. That means 90 % YES 90% NINETY PERCENT of BMWs and their riders are having a great time. 80000 on mine no problems with anything mechanical,just had a radio go out. I have owned 14 bikes some better than others when it breaks I fix it. I ride about 25k/YR. Took a 6000 miler 2 years ago and NEVER thought about the bike failing. I thought about what a great time Im having with my wife, this BEAUTIFUL country
and what a great time I'm having on this great machine. After 37 yrs this is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. Maybe Im the lucky one ,oh thats right there is another 89 % of us. Ok No hard feelings just tired of hearing bad news about ANY motorcycle.

Zeke
Go Pete.
that's true there is another 89% of you until it happens to you at a very bad time, why try and help your fellow riders

Do not get me wrong here, I have over 100k on my last final drive, (in fact we have right at 270 k and only ONE final drive failure)

but why not stick together and try to get something done about it for everyone else that is riding!

Oh I'm forgetting, It's just a hobby. Ya know everywhere you go someone is saying something about final drive fialures, it's getting really dang funny.

Tom
post #18 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Tom;

Zeke
Go Pete.
Zeke. pete

here http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/poll.php...ults&pollid=82
post #19 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 7:18 pm

I WILL AND ALWAYS HAVE STOOD BEHIND MOTORCYCLIST.
DONT EVEN GO THERE. If WE can help IM IN.
And its Not a hobby its what I do. I ride every single day rain or not and used to get caught in the snow when we lived in Illinois. 60 miles each way every day. i put my gear on like other people put their seat belts on. I have multiple accidents in my early days and know i will fall again. I wont go thru the list.
BMW LISTEN UP, GET THE FDs fixed.
Dont ever count me out on anything motorcycle. PERIOD.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #20 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 8:08 pm

BMW has already spoken on this issue.

There isn't any reliable data on rear drive failures.

If there was an economical way to fix this problem, it would have been done.

Look for a FIX in design changes to the rear end on a new model.

Bob, ))LT
post #21 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 8:12 pm

Quote:
I WILL AND ALWAYS HAVE STOOD BEHIND MOTORCYCLIST.
DONT EVEN GO THERE. If WE can help IM IN.
And its Not a hobby its what I do. I ride every single day rain or not and used to get caught in the snow when we lived in Illinois. 60 miles each way every day. i put my gear on like other people put their seat belts on. I have multiple accidents in my early days and know i will fall again. I wont go thru the list.
BMW LISTEN UP, GET THE FDs fixed.
Dont ever count me out on anything motorcycle. PERIOD.

Zeke
Now this sounds like you care, maybe if everyone did we could get something done.

THANK YOU
Tom
post #22 of 35 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
BMW has already spoken on this issue.

There isn't any reliable data on rear drive failures.

If there was an economical way to fix this problem, it would have been done.

Look for a FIX in design changes to the rear end on a new model.

Bob, ))LT
What BS, this attitude make me want to get rid of our bmw's hopefully burnt to the ground so no one else gets the same problem bike and BullS*** attitude. (and from the looks of the one that caught fire on adv it could really happen! <g>)

sheesh
There is no reliable data on final drive failures my Ass, then BMW really needs to get some one that knows how to handle the warranty department and inventory if they have no idea how many final drives are getting repaired and
replaced

I call BS they have no reliable data , if so, I'm surprised they are still in business all these years

Tom

Last edited by tmgs; Sep 19th, 2007 at 8:22 pm.
post #23 of 35 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 3:47 am

They have data but choose not to make it public.

WE don't have any reliable data.

Plus, there is a problem defining what is relevant? Units produced? Registered units? Include units with less than 1,000 miles?

No matter though, no data from BMW.

If someone claims it's .00XX, we know its unfounded. Claim it's .04 we know it's unfounded. Claim it's .07 we know it's unfounded.

Bob ))LT
post #24 of 35 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:05 am Thread Starter

I'm sorry, but the attempts at downplay the FD problem by hypothecating some rate-of-failure data doesn't make anything better.

If Chevrolet light truck owners, for example, were experiencing a 1%, 5%, or 10% failure rate for differentials, don't you think GM would be all over the problem?

There is no excuse for BMW continuining to ignore this problem. BMW must think it's owners are so loyal to the brand that the owners will accept FD failure and the high cost of repair as part of the BMW quirkiness so many owners love. Posts in forums like this one that pooh-pooh the problem play into that notion.

Maybe we are loyal, and that should be among the reasons why BMW steps up and fixes the FD problems.

As for me, I like my BMW. But if the FD fails this will be the last BMW I own. BMW needs to hear that message loud and clear from all of us.

Let me give you an example of how another manufacturer handled this kind of problem. I own a Honda Oddessy minivan. I received a recall notice from Honda advising that a small number of this vehicle had problems with second gear in the automatic transmission wearing out prematurely and asking me to take my car tot he Honda dealer so the transmission could be inspected.

The car had a 36,000 mile warranty; I took mine to the dealer with about 80,000 miles on the odometer. Honda paid the dealer to replace the transmission, even though it was well out of warranty. Will my next car be a Honda? Very probably yes. Would I buy another Honda if the transmission failed at 80,000 miles, out of warranty, and I had to pay for a new tranny? Absoultely not.

Step up to the plate, BMW.

2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #25 of 35 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:48 am

This problem with the final drives has cost BMW lots already. Who would buy a spirit less Honda couch when they could buy a LT? Lots of people who have had Bmw's problems first hand or have heard of them. So far, Having a great dealership 4 miles away is the ONLY reason I still put up with BMW's lack of respect for their customers.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #26 of 35 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:13 am

Rear Drive

As for me, I like my BMW. But if the FD fails this will be the last BMW I own. BMW needs to hear that message loud and clear from all of us.

Step up to the plate, BMW.[/QUOTE]

I was just like you Mike. I own a 2001 LT and had no problems but always worried about the rear drive going out. I loved the bike so well I purchased a 2005 thinking they have no problems with 2003 and later. Then at 41,000 miles the rear drive goes bad plus a number of other problems. That is when I said I would never own another BMW. I loved the bike but sold it and now have a 2008 Gold Wing on order. I would have never switch brands if they would take care of their problem. I know I will not like the Gold Wing as well but I can ride without worry.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #27 of 35 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
This problem with the final drives has cost BMW lots already. Who would buy a spirit less Honda couch when they could buy a LT? Lots of people who have had Bmw's problems first hand or have heard of them. So far, Having a great dealership 4 miles away is the ONLY reason I still put up with BMW's lack of respect for their customers.
I have owned a number of Gold Wings over the years and would not characterize any of them as "spiritless couches." The BMW has its advantages (handling and brakes) but then again so does the Wing (motor, integrated electronics and reliability).
post #28 of 35 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:46 am

I attended the Z car Homecoming at the BMW plant in Greer, SC over Labor Day weekend. Great event with wonderful people - both attendees and plant personnel. They even had a tech day where plant workers donated their Saturday to fix all kinds of minor problems on peoples cars regardless of age or mileage.

In any event, about 600 cars were there from all over the US. How many of them had failed rear drives coming or going? How many of them even thought about it? What would have the the outcry if even 1% of them had a failure? How many LTs attended CCR and how many had failed drives? How many BMWs were in the Iron Butt and how many had failures?

Yes, I know - things mechanical .... break ..... fix .... ride. Been there done that (no T-shirt but hey, maybe its time). Thing is I like to ride my bike. I like to go places and I would like to go with the peace of mind that a major component of my bike will not fail and leave me stranded. When these things go south, they do so in a hurry. Yes, there is some warning but you aren't going very far once you feel that first rumble. Generally, you aren't going to be able to nurse it home or to a service center. Fortunately for me, I felt the rumble about a mile from home and knew exactly what it was.

And we aren't talking about a lot of old crocks here, many of the bikes are only a few years old and some with really low mileage at failure. My '01 failed about a year and half ago at 63K so I lasted longer that most that have had a failure. As above, It happened close to home so I wasn't stranded somewhere trying to figure out how I'm going to get me and the bike home/to a dealer/fixed and what was going to happen to my vacation plans.

Does this stop me from riding my bike? No. Does this stop me from traveling/going places? No. Do I worry about it? Mmmmm - no. Do I think about it? YES!

Back to the car thing (and these things cost as much as a lot of pretty nice cars out there). When you leave for a vacation or to work in the family car, do you worry or even think about a major component failing? Why not? Its mechanical, it can break, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I would really that thought to be a non-issue as well with my bike.

OK, that's enough. The soapbox is getting a little wobbly. I'll save the ABS failure for another time. Think I need to go for a ride. Sure hope my FD doesn't fail and I can ignore those blinking ABS lights.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #29 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:50 am

I have owned 3 BMW's.
1985 K1000RT... Sold it after 17 years and 67K miles.
2000 R1100RT... Sold it after 3 years and approx 20K miles
2003 K1200LT... Still own and have 31K miles

No rear end drive failures.

However... If I ever have a rear drive fail, I will be one majorly unhappy person.

My opinion is that maybe 1/10 of one percent might fail.

Never an amount to generate this kind of conversation.

BMW has dropped the ball big time on this.
post #30 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:07 am

Just to keep balance, I also have owned 3 BMW's
1985 K100RT with 127000 miles, rear dive failed at 72000
1999 K1200LT with 76000 miles, rear drive failed at 42000
2002 K1200LT with 42000 miles, no rear drive failure

4% is the common figure used for LT drive failures.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #31 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:23 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I can only say as a NEW BMW driver I panicked at first and wanted to sell it. However the reality of loosing 6000 dollars in 2 months made me keep it. That and my SO would have cut me off, and I mean literally

I have 3/36 and I can tell you if a FD fails in that period it will be sold no matter what the loss.

I bought this bike thinking I had bought the best engineered Tourer my money could buy. Instead it seems I have bought a time bomb.

I absolutely love the bike but will not tolerate being stranded and stressing.

It is a real shame they cant get it right.

On the other hand when you look at the No Problem thread, there is Light at the end of the Tunnel.

Flip a coin and hope we all end up in that thread instead of the other FD thread.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #32 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:59 am

I spent a week on the road in September riding down to Taos, New Mexico and then back to Alberta. Over 4000 road miles and I only saw one bike on the side of the road. It was a Harley with a blown engine. Even five years ago I saw alot more bikes on the road that were sidelined with problems. Motorbikes of all makes have made huge strides in the area of reliability. I wouldn't worry about taking any newer bike on a long trip whether it was a Victory, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW or even a Harley. If your sphincter tightens at the thought of a breakdown, then maybe you should consider taking only day trips so you won't have to face the mental anquish. I think for most a breakdown is a major inconvenience, but because it happens so seldom it is not something that gets much more than a passing thought from me as I roll out of the driveway.
post #33 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:14 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
If your sphincter tightens at the thought of a breakdown, then maybe you should consider taking only day trips so you won't have to face the mental anquish.
The only time my sphincter mussel tightens is when I think of the shaft that BMW is waiting to ram up it.

So your saying FD failures only happen in daylight

I understand what you are saying but when you invest 22k PLUS in a bike there should be no mental anguish, more like pure Nirvana when one pulls out of the driveway.

As I said 3/36 is the magic number for me, after that, when it is my turn to turn the wrench, I will decide how much shaft my sphincter can take.

I absolutly LOVE the bike and BMW is not the only Motorcycle Manufacturer that ignors it's flaws. i just expected better from them.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #34 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 1:07 pm

I don't know if BMW is ignoring the problem, or if they just don't have a solution to it for bikes already manufactured. The previous owner of my 2000LT kept extensive records on the bike, and in his first 3 yrs of ownership had it in for no less than 4 factory recalls: Throttle cables, rear brake unit, electronic control, starter motor. I think the FD would be considered a potentially hazardous failure if it were to fail at speed. (Does this happen?) So if there were a solution available, or a known cause of failure, I like to think they would implement another recall. Yes, recalls are expensive, but for safety issues it is always better to bite the bullet and get it fixed rather than letting the courts and lawyers come after you. I plan to ride mine, if it fails I'll fix it, then decide if I want another bmw anytime soon.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #35 of 35 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek1
I have owned 3 BMW's.
1985 K1000RT... Sold it after 17 years and 67K miles.
2000 R1100RT... Sold it after 3 years and approx 20K miles
2003 K1200LT... Still own and have 31K miles

No rear end drive failures.

However... If I ever have a rear drive fail, I will be one majorly unhappy person.

My opinion is that maybe 1/10 of one percent might fail.

Never an amount to generate this kind of conversation.

BMW has dropped the ball big time on this.
1/10 of 1 % fail - it was mine then, no one else can claim one! <grin>

and I would be pretty upset too if I only had 31k in a 5 year old bike and the final failed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in