Speedo Error Correction for '06 LTs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Speedo Error Correction for '06 LTs

Hi, Folks -

I was exploring possibilities to correct for the speedo error in my '06 LT, and considering the "Yellow Box" as an option.

The question has come up about which type of speed sensor is on the '06es, and I remember reading somewhere that the 2-wire system was changed in 2002 or thereabouts.

Does anyone know if it's possible to correct for speedo error on an '06 LT with one of these devices, and if so, where is the speed sensor wiring located on the bike?

Is there an easier way to make the fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 1:28 pm

You need to do a search. Mark Neblett fixed his on his 05 by just lifting the needle and moving it a little below 0. His is now dead on. Just be careful when you press it back on that it does not hit the panel. The 06's should be the same as the 05's.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 4:14 pm

I think he lifted the needle over the peg and rotated the needle clockwise two turns....I gotta find that post and do mine...

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 4:46 pm

I think this is what you're looking for.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

OK. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I've previously noted the documentation here on the "jumper fix" as well as the "re-position the needle fix", and, frankly, I'm not inclined to tear into this new $23K machine to fix this problem. I'm not a stranger to a wrench, but, OTOH, I have no BMW-specific maintenance info or experience, and I'd prolly screw something up, much more serious than this little annoyance.

I also own an '04 Wing, and I successfully used the Dakota Digital speedo calibration device to correct the speedo error on that bike. What I really like about that particular device is the up/down push-button design that makes it possible to do the adjustment while riding, comparing the speedo to a GPS, and there's no caculations involved - just press the buttons to adjust till it's right-on, and you're done.

I was hoping to be able to fix the Lt's error similarly; there are 4 or 5 different calibration devices on the market that I know of. Problem is, one needs to know where the speedo sensor wiring is that has to be tapped into, and whether it's 2-wire or 3-wire. That's the information I need.

Thanks again for the effort.
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 5:41 pm

To tap into the wires, you have to tear into the bike. My thought would be to go the cheap, down and dirty, easy fix.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 6:44 pm

You could always get a GPS.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt
You could always get a GPS.
Leon
05 Blue LT
Ain't that the truth! Once you have a GPS, you never consult the LT's speedo anymore.
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
You could always get a GPS
Quote:
Ain't that the truth! Once you have a GPS, you never consult the LT's speedo anymore.
I *have* a GPS - several, actually. As I posted earlier, "What I really like about that particular device is the up/down push-button design that makes it possible to do the adjustment while riding, comparing the speedo to a GPS". Obviously, I couldn't "compare the speedo to a GPS" if I didn't have a GPS.

What I want to do is to be able to locate the speed sensor wiring on my '06 LT so I can determine if it's the 2-wire or the 3-wire type, so I can buy one of the speedo calibration devices available to deal with this issue.
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 7:29 pm

Exclamation

I have yet to hear of anyone getting one of those third-party speedo correction boxes to work on an LT. It'll just make your speedo jump up and down horribly. But best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 7:30 pm

wow....this just got a lot more complicated than simply rotating the speedo needle around a couple times....hmmmm...might not be worth the work. Usually I just ride at 10 over the limit and have never been pulled over yet..

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass
What I want to do is to be able to locate the speed sensor wiring on my '06 LT so I can determine if it's the 2-wire or the 3-wire type, so I can buy one of the speedo calibration devices available to deal with this issue.
You will have problems with this. From '02-on ('01 in Yurup/Canada), the speedo is fed from the same pulse sensor used by the rear ABS -- the pulse signal is shared by the ABS, speedo, radio speed-volume adjustment, and BC computer. The infamous "yellow box" sold out of Australia a couple years ago (a pulse train modifying device) couldn't address the problems caused in the other devices.

My suggestion: take a deep breath and pull the cluster if you really want to fix the reading. Once the cluster's out, all it takes is removing the clear cover and carefully prying the needle off it's shaft. Plug the cluster back in, turn on the ignition to let the speedo drive re-zero itself, then turn the bike off and put th eneedle back on -- I replaced mine about one division (3.33 mph) below zero, so the speedo's now exactly right at 30, about 1 mph fast at 60 (actual 59), and about 1 mph slow at 10 (actual 11). One final ignition-on trial to ensure the needle is where you want it after the start-up sweep, and to ensure you didn't push it back on so far that its underside is dragging on the face of the speedp, then button it all back up.

A link to a thread with final needle position pics:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=299976

A search on the old site forum on "needle pic speedo" will also turn up a post from Randy (look for the red user name) with detailed pics of the front and rear of the instrument cluster circuit board.

Oh, and while Mike was kind enough to credit me for this one, Randy was the one that thought of it first, while I was still busy beating my head against blow-ups of his circuit board pics

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:40 pm.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Hi , This works for me on my 2002 LT . I don't know if this apply's to the new LT's . I use the computer thingy on my bike to can check my speed . Once I get to a steady speed I can go to the mph screen , hit the reset and it gives me my mph that is just a bought spot on . Works for me ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Last edited by Patric; Nov 26th, 2005 at 7:30 pm. Reason: OOP's
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Patric. That's all right as a workaround, I suppose. It just seems a minor tragedy to me for all of us to have to go to such lengths just to find out how fast we're going on a machine so elegant otherwise.

I'm aware just about all bikes exhibit this issue from the factory. That fact doesn't make me any happier about it. It's not the end of the world, but it does annoy me.
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

Hi CriticalMass , your welcome . I was going to do the speedo circuit board jumper wire fix thing on my LT. But in the end the hit the reset on the MPR on the computer was good enough for me ....Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in