Fjr1300??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Fjr1300???

Folks,

I'm considering purchasing and FJR1300 as a possible sport touring replacement for the LT. I've read some pretty good things about the FJR and it seems like the bike would be quite a bit of fun. I've loved my LT from day one but have not done as much two-up riding as I thought I would do so it may make sense to buy something a bit sportier.

My biggest concern is the potential lack of comfort with the FJR compared with the LT, especially on longer rides (5+ hours).

Does anyone out there have any experience with the FJR? I'd really like to hear your thoughts on that bike. I'd consider owning both but that may not make too much sense given they are both in the touring category.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
2006 Gray BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 Black BMW K1200LT (retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 12:58 am
Senior Member (ret.)

post #3 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 12:59 am
Super Moderator

I've only ridden one for a short while but it was very comfortable, not to mention a complete blast to ride. The folks I know that have them swear by them, both for sport touring as well as long haul riding. Are you poking around any FJR lists to get info?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 2:26 am

I've ridden both, and wouldn't trade the LT for an FJR. They really are different machines. I don't do any two up riding.

FJR would be more fun around town, shorter trips, and mountains. So, the answer is easy... get both.

Tony Williams
San Diego and Africa
2002 LTC black
Cee Bailey windscreen +2"
XM Roady 2
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
ChatterBox XBi2 bluetooth intercom
Metzler 880's
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 3:55 am

@ Marc - I owned an FJR for over 2 years before buying the LT. It is a very capable machine, and very comfortable, but not quite in the LT's comfort zone. It is most certainly comfortable enough for two up riding with luggage. I have toured Europe 4 times on it, even hitting 5 countries in one day. 800-900 mile 14 hour days no problem. 25 litre tank means 250 miles between stops. 145BHP means it will eat back tyres much faster than an LT.

Try this board for more info.
http://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/portal.php
post #6 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 5:27 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
PM Nathan (user id Nathan). He has one.
Raffy I thought Nathan had a HondaST?

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 5:32 am

My wife owns a 2005 model w/ABS. I've ridden hers on several occasions and found it to be very comfortable. She took a trip following me earlier in the year 574 miles one day, no problems.
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 8:24 am

FJR vs LT

There's no comparison. But that said, I have both.
And I've put just over 27,000 miles on my '04 FJR and it is not only comfortable (I put a Rick Mayer seat and 1" bar risers on it) but a blast to ride. Last year I rode it from San Antonio to Farmington, Maine and back, not a single problem with either comfort or reliability.

HOWEVER....If you are looking for a bit more sport with just a little less 'couch', take a look at the Honda ST1300. A friend rode his ST to Maine with me and I had ample opportunity to ride it. It is not quite as comfy as either a GW or an LT but a little more so than the FJR. Not near as sporty though.

Just a few thoughts....PM me if you want more info on the FJR.
post #9 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:15 am

Marc, two additional LTer's have FJR's and both are for sale. Doug Hines in Little Rock, Ar. has an '05 and is advertised in the Dec. '05 BMWMOA classifeds. Fletcher Clark of Ruleville, Ms. has an '05 as well. Look them up for honest answers. Also, the '06 FJR1300 would THE way to go if you're considering buying new. New heat management makes the '06 far superior to previous year models. Hope this helps a lettle!
post #10 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:29 am
Senior Member (ret.)

post #11 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 12:17 pm

A friend with an FJR complains about the seat and the heat that comes out of the fairing. The FJR is being revised for '06 and is supposed to cure the heat issue (that's a big issue with the ST1300 as well). They also have a low seat available, but no cruise control. Google 2006 FJR1300 and you'll find lots of info or go to: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../180/home.aspx

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #12 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 1:13 pm

Thumbs up Love 'Em Both

I own both a 02 LTC and a 2005 FJR, and love them both, but these are VERY different bikes (which I guess is why I have them both).

Iíve added a GIVI Monokey TopCase, D&D risers, Sargent Seat, Highway pegs, Cee Baileyís Windshield, and Yamaha Heated Grips to the FJR to make it more friendly for long distance touring.

If Iím going to go out on a long tour with lots of slab / long sweeper roads, I usually will take the K1200LTC. If Iím going on long tours where lots of twisties / back roads are in the cards, Iíll take the FJR. While the K provides a sportier touring ride than a Wing, the FJR provides an even heavier dose of sportiness in the ride than the K.

I looked at an ST1300 as an option to the FJR, but for me the difference was the weight (ST>FJR), and the fact that both have a heat management problem. The difference is that 2 hours and $15.00 worth of material later, the heat issue on the FJR was solved, but there is no solution on the ST.

In my opinion only, the K1200LTC is the supreme luxury-touring-sport, while the FJR is the supreme Sport-Tourer. A recent mag review of the FJR versus 8 (I think) other bikes including the Busa (traded mine in on the FJR Ė sorry, it is NOT a sport-tourer), Futura, RT, ST1300, Triumph Sprint, and others came to the same conclusion.

Bottom line Ė two different bikes with two different missions and both can be ridden day after day with many smiles per mile. IMHO, and as always YMMV.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 1:25 am Thread Starter

Folks,

Thank you all very much for your input. I was somewhat expecting 90% hazing for mentioning the FJR on our LT site but was really glad to see that every response was a serious contributor to my decision factors.

I'm really leaning towards purchasing an '06 FJR. I'll probably go down to the local Yamaha dealer and put down my $500 deposit for a potential April delivery. So... I guess that gives me the justification of not selling the LT at least until April (got to have a bike to ride between now and then and I can't think of a better winter bike) and perhaps even keeping both bikes. I just sold my Yamaha Roadstar because it wasn't getting ridden which made my wife very happy. Now I'll have to explain why I need a second bike again.

I'll likely PM a couple of you with further questions. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Regard,
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
post #14 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Marc

You may also like to look at the new K1200GT just announced. This is different to the old K1200GT as it is based on the new inline 4 motor etc - a completely new bike. It is a direct competitor to the FJR. Same sort of power, looks like more comfort, with EAS, cruise etc making it very attractive.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #15 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 2:54 pm

I owned on of the first FJR that came to the states I rode it 50 miles and did not think I would like it but to be sure I rode it another 350 miles and sold it, there were too many things I did not like as compared to my 1999 KRS. However I now have a new 06 FJR/AE on order as it appears they address all the issues that I had with the 1st bike. They are a blast to ride and very fast. The new AE has ABS brakes and clutchless shifting. The heat on the pre 06 models was my biggest, not only, complaint. I'm looking forward to the 06 FJR. RIDE SAFE
post #16 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:37 pm

fjr 1300

Marc, Fletcher Clark has sold his FJR and bought a 06-R1200RT
post #17 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 8:25 pm

I have an '06 FJR1300AE (clutchless/triptronic) model on order. I am impressed with the fit and finish and would like to have a dealer in town. I also have the new K12GT on order . . . so, it's gonna be decision time. You may wish for the new K12GT tho', I think it's gonna be a better bike. http://www.k-bikes.com and go to the NEXT GENERATION FORUM

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #18 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Marc

You may also like to look at the new K1200GT just announced. This is different to the old K1200GT as it is based on the new inline 4 motor etc - a completely new bike. It is a direct competitor to the FJR. Same sort of power, looks like more comfort, with EAS, cruise etc making it very attractive.
Ralph,

Thanks for the heads-up on the new K1200GT. Where can I see pictures of the new bike or read some info on it? I checked the BMW site but didn't see anything there.

In my opinion this bike would be a contender for the FJR if it has been upgraded a bit to keep up with the competition. I considered a 1200RT but the vibration is noticeable and it is substantially more expensive than the FJR (but I guess the 1200GT would be as well).

Regards,
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
post #19 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 8:59 pm
Bouncer

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2398

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #20 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Jeff - thanks,
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
post #21 of 27 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I have an '06 FJR1300AE (clutchless/triptronic) model on order. I am impressed with the fit and finish and would like to have a dealer in town. I also have the new K12GT on order . . . so, it's gonna be decision time. You may wish for the new K12GT tho', I think it's gonna be a better bike. http://www.k-bikes.com and go to the NEXT GENERATION FORUM
John - Good luck with your decision. I guess trying to choose between an FJR and a new K1200GT is a good problem to have

Did the dealer you placed your GT on order with have a final price for the bike yet?

Thanks,
Marc

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:52 am

Marc

Yes, the bike is all new. A few other items I noticed ...
1. The engine/mechanicals have been out a year in the R/S so its not a newbie in that regard;
2. I can't see that the FJR has cruise control - a serious feature and must-have from my touring experience in the USA. It has saved my bacon so many times its not funny viz speeding tickets etc, as well as making long days possible;
3. The new GT brakes are partially linked, while the FJR are fully linked.
4. Its true, that BMW badge will cost you more than the Yamaha badge;
5. The BMW USA site with a few notes is here: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/news?aid=3
6. The main K-bike site these days is a sister of this site. You will have to become a member though. There is a specific GT Forum. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #23 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 3:50 am

FJR Happy

Marc,
I own an 05 FJR ABS and love the bike. I also just sold my Honda ST 1300 which I used primarily for two up riding. I am currently shopping for an 05 Lt to replace the Honda for two up touring.
Both bikes are great ...but different. If I was going to ride solo I would prefer my FJR because of the fun quotient. Long distance touring might be more convenient on the Honda which provides a great deal of weather protection with the right windshield.
The FJR needs an aftermarket seat and a suspension upgrade IMO. I put Wilbers shocks and springs on mine and it made a big difference. I also have a Sargent Seat which helped a lot. The models up to 05 need some mods to lower the heat but they arent difficult. I have ordered an 06 and do have an 05 ABS with seven thousand miles for sale. Good hunting and safe riding...Ron
post #24 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:08 pm

LT vs. FJR

Marc,

I bought the LT as my first bike at age 50 (2003 LTE)...

I had a wild idea one day and went and looked at a 2005 FJRABS with 16 miles on it. Rode it, bought it. Did not ride the LT again until I sold it, and delivered it to the buyer in Toronto (nice ride from here).

I had over 18,000 on the LT and put 4,000 on the FJR. I really liked the FJR and could not wait to get rid of the LT (which I did, thankfully). As a matter of fact, I liked the FJR so much, I sold it and ordered on 06. Now I have a nice big garage for the winter, and I will be the first in line when the 06 is ready.

The heat mentioned on the 05, is an issue. I rode out to CCR in late August on the FJR (had to turn back, personal issue at home I had to deal with) and only got to Chamberlain SD, but it was hot as blazes, and it did feel like a blowtorch on my inner thighs and crotch, at times. Nice in the winter, though.

I have taken both the LT and the FJR to Deals Gap and given them a good workout. When I took the FJR, that sealed the LT's fate.

In short, I find the FJR just as comfortable (I had a Rocky Mayer saddle) for long distance and way more fun. No cruise control is a bummer and I was shocked that the 06 does not have it. But, when you compare the price of the FJR vs. the R1200RT or the new GT there is close to and $8,000 difference. For just $140 I rode in and had the Throttlemeister people install their very cool throttle lock on the FJR and that helps a great deal (still not a cruise control), but an huge improvement over nothing.

Well, that is all for now. Hope you get a great deal, and hope to see you out there, on one or the other.
post #25 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:25 pm

No prices at all yet . . . at least that's what they tell me. I will probably trade or sell the K12S (maybe) and it will be a difficult decision; the FJR looks spiffy as heck and a bike with a dealer in town . . . nice to have.
Regards

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #26 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
No prices at all yet . . . at least that's what they tell me. I will probably trade or sell the K12S (maybe) and it will be a difficult decision; the FJR looks spiffy as heck and a bike with a dealer in town . . . nice to have.
Regards
I called my local BMW dealer and he said their dealer meeting is the first week of Feb, in NY, and that he should know something when he returns.

He said he cannot take deposits, that there is nothing to take a deposit on, yet.
He would not speculate on pricing.
post #27 of 27 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:42 pm

I sold my '05 FJR after a trip from Kansas City to the black hills. The FJR was a blast but the wife and I wanted more comfort so we bought an '05 LT and sold the FJR. I had the stock seat on the FJR.

You really cannot compare these two bikes. The FJR was like piloting a jet and the LT is like piloting a cadillac (I mean a newer sporty cadillac before anyone flames me).

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in