BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

What do you tell the tow truck guy?

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  ljjohns 
#1 ·
Until now, I've not been in a position where I've had to even worry about calling a tow truck to retrieve my bike when it fails out in the wide open spaces of West Texas.

But if I realize my plans to do extensive tour riding, I need to plan for such an eventuality (as the stories on these forums seem to suggest that's inevitable).

So my question is in two parts: when disabled on the side of the road and calling an unfamiliar tow truck operation, what do I need to tell them and ask them before they dispatch the truck?

Secondly, when the tow truck operator is loading the bike, what do I need to caution him about and/or watch for during the loading process?

Thanks

Larry Johnson
2003 LT (Black)

#2 ·
You have to let the towing company know that they will need to bring a straight jacket and leg restraints, along with a Law Enforcement Officer to disarm you before they even think about touching your bike.

I've never had the experience, but others here have, but I think a Roll Off tow truck equipped with motorcycle gear would be my first request. Also keep in mind that the handlebars are not to be used for tie down points.

Good luck, I would very much like to see the proper answer to this one.

:bmw:

#3 · (Edited)
Soft Ties are Essential

Larry, just happened to us in Wales about 3 weeks ago. Total blow out on the rear tire. Only managed about 350 ft before reaching 6 psi. Hole the size of my thumb nail. Ran over some type of bolt, I think. Worst possible location (no cell, no side verge, not good) I left Rena to watch our gear with the hazard lights on, hitched to town and spotted a tray type recovery truck. Anyway, to cut a long story short, after the tray had been extended out, I rode up the inclined tray,(those stiff sidewalls on the 880's helped) waited for the tow guy and Rena to handle the fully loaded Quantum (350 lbs) up too. Then using the only proceedure for the LT, I tied her down for the 8 mls to town. (do a search for tie down) I also use the extra points under the rear seat bolts which helps to stabilize things. No damage done at all. Just make sure you have 4 soft ties. Cheers

Attachments

#5 ·
Yeah, what he said.........flat bed tow truck equiped with tie downs. Be sure you carry the soft ties at all times.

A couple of years ago my throttle cable broke and I didn't want to try to nurse it through rush hour traffic in Dallas to get it home so I called a tow truck. I explained the size of the bike and the fact that I had soft ties but the driver needed to have straps. The guy they sent was experienced at hauling big bikes....said he mostly hauled Harleys (absolutely no dig intended here). I had to hold her up while he moved the flat bed up(that was a bit hairy) but other than that everything worked great. He didn't have soft ties and was not aware that you could not use the handle bars to tie it down.

#6 ·
1st, you need to ask for a flat bed truck or trailer.
2nd, carry some soft ties with you.
3rd, You need to know how to load & tie it down & be prepared to help the driver. There's no way he can load it alone. Have your soft ties in place before he gets there, that way he can see where hook his straps.

#7 ·
Some suggestions from a retired tow truck driver who has had extensive experience towing most brands of motor cycles. Not to incite debate on one vs another but I can only remember towing one BMW, an F650. I have towed many of other makes with Harley and Honda making up most of those.

For each tow I have a basic approach to loading (flat deck only) the bike and tying it down. I don't use any specialized motorcycle frames etc. I use ratcheting tie down straps, with soft straps to the bike, on a four point tie down. I use locations on the bike that I know to be strong enough and will not cause damage to the machine. I will modify these to other locations at the owners request if the points preferred by the owner are as good or better. A cardinal rule I have is I NEVER tie the bike down and leave it on the side stand or center stand. The bike is always fully verticle and ratcheted down in the front just enough against the suspension to keep a good strain on the straps and keep the bike upright. The front wheel is held against a steel block in front of the deck winch. The rear is tied down to primarily prevent sideways movement of the bike while travelling. Ratcheting too tightly can cause damage to the bike.

I have used this method for over 20 years and have never had a damage problem or insurance claim. I did have one Harley owner who insisted on his bike being left on the side stand and I complied only when he signed on for full responsibility for any damage that might occur. None did, but I can tell you it was the slowest tow I ever did.

One of the biggest problems a biker would face on a breakdown would be unfamiliarity with responsible, insured, and prorerly equipped towers especially in unfamiliar territory. A suggestion I would make is if you are a member of a towing club such as AAA or, in Canada CAA, and you don't have towing coverage for your bike call the club anyway. They are usually familiar with towers in the area and most are willing to dispatch an appropriate tower to you. This may also be the case wether you are a member or not. In my experience most clubs will work with you to get help.

The last thing I would do is call a tower directly because they are all just the one you are looking for. If you don't think so, just ask them they will tell you.

I personally have CAA Plus coverage that provides roadside assistance for any cage I am driving or a passenger in or motorcycle I am riding or a passenger on. I believe AAA in the US does the same and each is reciprocal in the others country.

As an added note, I have been riding Beemers for about 30 years and I have yet to have a breakdown. Knock on wood!!

#11 ·
BUGKILLER said:
Hey Larry, always carry your own "Soft Tie Downs". Carry the attached instruction for tie down positions for the LT and call for a Flat Bed Tow Truck only.
Hope this helps. It is from somewhere on this forum.

The BMW print out is the BEST advice so far. Circle the critical points on the printout. Hand the BMW tiedown printout and the soft straps to the driver and offer to steady the bike while he ties it down to the flat bed.

If you tell the driver how to tie your bike down and he does it wrong it is your word against his and the towing company may not pay for any damages. If you place the tiedowns and there is a problem, the towing company may not pay for any damages.

Dave

#12 ·
Just as a point of interest. Inspect the tie down straps that the operator is using for integrity. A good friend had a rear tire go down on his Gold Wing. The flat bed tow truck arrived and adaquately tied down the bike. Unfortunately one of the front tie down straps was badly worn and broke. On the first turn they went around that strap broke. The bike flipped off the truck landing on the road upside down. The insurance company totalled the bike!

#14 · (Edited)
The front tire was put in that dolly and strapped in. Then soft ties with straps to the outer side of the dolly. The winch cable pulled the dolly up with the bike in tow. Then he put 2 straps on the front and 2 straps on the rear to anchor the bike to the flat bed.

Daveh said:
This tow guy took great care in securing the bike and not doing any damage to it. He said he gets lots of practice, I was 10 miles from Sturgis, SD.

#15 ·
FWIW I never winched a bike onto the carrier deck. I always, along with the owner, pushed the bike onto the deck until the back wheel was about a foot onto the deck. The owner would hold the foot and hand brakes until I leveled the deck up. In most cases we would also have the bike in 1st gear. We then rolled the bike forward and placed it on the side stand with the front wheel butted up against a steel block in front of the winch. The two front tiedown straps would be hooked up to the bike and the deck and the bike uprighted to a full vertical position and the side stand would be retracted. The rear ties would be attached and tightened slightly and we would be on our way. The off loading would be a complete reversal of these steps.

#16 ·
I carry a pair of soft ties for the front. On the rear I have two soft ties attatched to the frame under the passenger seat. They are always there sticking out about 2 ". I use them to tie down luggage & they are there as tie downs points if needed.

#18 ·
When all said and done, it should look something like this:

Sept 1, 2007 somewhere in Missouri.

#19 ·
Thanks

I think my planning options are clear:

(l) get two sets of soft tie downs for contingencies; have them with me when I tour.

(2) Have some reliable source for tow truck services--AAA doesn't seem to do it; MoTow might be useful; has anyone used USAA?

(3) Know the BMW tie down procedures

(4) Either walk the bike (with help from the tow truck driver) up onto the ramp or else (if they have a front wheel chock) strap the front wheel to the chock and then walk it up as the winch pulls the bike up. The former is preferable: the front wheel is not intended as a pull-point.

What have I missed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.