Locked out - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Locked out

My old Battery Tender died and took my battery with it. Unfortunatley the alarm was set so now I'm locked out. How do I get into the battery at this point? There was just enough charge left in the battery to beep the alarm four times when I tried to disarm the alarm and unlock things. Now there's nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:59 pm

Hey, Russ - you gotta nuther Battery Tender in the 'hood? If not, I can meetcha summairs and loan ya mine. It plugs into the socket near your left ankle, prolly like yours did. If your battery has at least 3 volts on tap, the BT 'should' work (according to the BT manual). Wanna try it? Can do this sometime tamale, if you want.
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 8:29 pm

possibility

Russ,
Since your battery is bad anyway, If you can rig a connection from your new battery to your accessory plug you will find adequate power to run the bike locks, etc... =) This is, of course, a "temporary" thing... don't leave them connected very long.

Make sure you use correct "polarity".

Peace. Channing

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:17 pm

Garage
What about just putting the key into the socket on the left saddlebag and opening her up the old fashioned way. Then you can pop the seat and reach your dead battery to replace it. I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but when my Benz got Alzheimer's and refused to let me in (or start for that matter) I simply pulled out the secret weapon...the trusty metal key. Might work for you too. Good luck.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 1:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Actually, if you stick your fingers down between the seats, you can pop the front seat latch pretty easily. Or use a long screwdriver if your fingers are too big.

Or use the key on the saddlebag, as Joe suggested.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Swweeettt.....

The key will not unlock the pannier! First thing I tried. What's with that? Anyway, my other Tender didn't seem to want to indicate a charge, prolly because the batt is drained to <3V or so.

Dick, thank's for the offer but I'm good. I'll try the "stick in the crack" (ouch!) trick and see ifn that works. Then I might just shoot it (or me...) On top of all else, I hit a curb and bent my FJR front wheel so I'm ridin' the KLR! TGFMM (Thank goodness for multiple motorcycles.)
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:39 pm

lock out

put he key in the saddle bag lock and turn 1/4 of a turn and push down.
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Duh

"He key?" Um, maybe that's my problem. I think mine is a 'she key.'

But actually I did put the she key in the tumbler, turned it 1/4 turn and pushed.....nothing happened. I suggest that when the alarm is set, key entery is 'locked out."

But it is moot. I was able to reach the seat release with a long slim screw driver and get to the battery. It is on charger now, we'll soon see if the alarm/lock remote will work now.
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Try a direct connection to your battery with your battery tender. It might still be working--could be corrosion in the "lighter" socket.

Bob
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 4:21 pm

Meese, interesting about opening the seat thingy. Thanks.
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 1:59 am
IBR# 366

Garage
It also takes about 6 seconds to get into the trunk, even if it is locked. Of course it won't lock again after that, but better than being stranded in the middle of nowhere because you locked your keys in the trunk and left your spare key at home.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:27 am

That is why I always tape a spare key to some part of the bodywork that is easy to get to without having to open anything !.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in