Trouble downshifting from 5th. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Trouble downshifting from 5th.

OK i did the obligatory search, all be it a quick one I thought I would have gotten some hits but nothing!

Anyways, I have 72+k on the clock of my '00 LT, the 6 & 12k services have been within 200 mi. either side of that, so hopefully service shouldn't be a factor. At any rate for the past month downshifting from 5th. has required a bit more pressure than normal, I really didn't let it bug me because it was not happening very often. So in those all so infamous words "Just Ride It" I did! Well last weekend it was happening more often that not and now is just about a for sure thing, I even started experiencing this awfulness in 4th.

Has any one had similar probs with their trany? What and how did you fix it?

I'm in the garage doing a 12k service at the moment, just getting started pulling the tupperware off so it will be a bit before I get to the trany plug. Wander what that will look like?

Check yall in a while!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:25 pm

Hope it is not serious! Transmission problems fortunately have been rare on the LT. Only been about three transmission issues that I can remember, Don Arthur, one other I cannot recall the name for, and lately Coni. Out of several thousand LTs that is pretty good.

Were you using synthetic in the tranny? Most of us found that shifting was much better with synthetic. Not likely that a change to it if you were using standard oil would "fix" anything though. Once a problem shows up and then progresses there is usually little that can be done to overcome it without repair work. It could be a linkage issue, but that would normally affect all gears, not just one or two.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:09 pm

Lube your shift linkage.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:25 am

I gotta second what David and Vince said. Synthetic oil made a difference and keeping the linkage lubed really did the trick. Make sure all it tight to specs.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:15 am

I have to agree on making sure the link is well lubricated. DAMHIK. Also, use white lithium grease. Checking the linkages and lubing them are part of my 12K services.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Will do on the lubing the linkage and I run standard oil, haven't gone to the synthetic oils yet. Wouldn't the linkage be stiff thorough all gears and during up and down shift?

Take a look at the pics of the trany drain plug. I dont remember having this much flaking last go-round. Look a bit much for 12k since the last change, oil looked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trany-plug01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	879   Click image for larger version

Name:	trany-plug02.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	880  

Last edited by rd_gonz; Nov 23rd, 2005 at 3:01 pm. Reason: hit enter key instead of shift
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:12 pm

Gee Rene, that does look like alot of shavings. Some is normal but that looks excessive! Especially at 72K. I think others would agree? All of the advice is good but I wonder if you waited too long....or if something else is happening. Either way, that's a lot of metal on that plug.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:20 pm

That does not look good.

Yikes I have never had that much metal on an oil drain without there being some sort of problem developing. It appears to be fine tailing so I'd guess a thrust or support washer.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #9 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Yep, I thought it to be on the excessive side of what should have been there too.

Let me know if anyone runs across a trany at a bone-yard, just in case! For now I'll Just Ride It!
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:50 pm

Hey, Rene - Edgar has the remains of his crashed LT down at my storage unit, butt I can't remember if there is a tranny amongst the parts, some of which he has sold or in the process of selling. You might ping him to see if he has one, or wait on me to drop by the storage unit Friday and take a look - then I'll letcha know.
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey, he's only got 72K on it. Are you guys sure it's broken in enough to go to synthetic?

Actually, that amount of shavings does look pretty ominous. I think you're looking at a tear down. And I'd probably tear it down sooner rather than later. Hard shifting is one thing, but the possibility of suddenly locking up the rear wheel is not good.

Oh, and I believe Edgar still has that spare tranny, as he recently offered it to Connie for her bike (she didn't need it after all).

Good luck with it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

OK the bike is on the road and testing things out after this last 12k service. So far so good on the initial downshifting problem, lubed the joints on the 2 shift linkage rods and things feel fine. You boyz are good! I'll have to buy ya ll a Cuban coffee if you come into town. As far as all that metal on the drain plug, i'll just have to keep checking it and hope things don't get worse.

Thanks Guys!
The Cuban
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 4:59 pm

Good news is right. Just another comment about the shifter linkage, need to make sure the balls are screwed in tight with locktite on the threads. If they work loose this can be a point of failure.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in