Long wait for my K1200LTC is over! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Long wait for my K1200LTC is over!

My 2002 K1200LTC finely made it to my house last evening. With many delays in shipping it from Miami, FL to Sugar Land, TX (outside of Houston) which took four weeks.

First off there was the delay of Hurricane Wilma, this knock out the power in Miami. This cause a week delay. Then the shipper haul my bike all the way to Milwaukee, WI to there central depot this took a week. Since my bike arrival late to Milwaukee it missed the truck to Texas. So another week and a half was lost sitting in Milwaukee. Then my bike was loading on the truck to Texas but then two things happen. First a fast moving snow storm tacking across the Midwest. Second the truck developed problems, this delay the departure a few more days.

Then my bike is on the road to Texas. The planed date of November 21st was given as a delivery date. This would be followed by a call from the driver to set up a time for delivery, but no call on Saturday and Sunday was made. My call on Monday the 21st to the carrier was later confirmed that it would be delivered on Tuesday the 22nd. What yet one more day! The clock is ticking as Thanksgiving is fast approaching and there be no way to license the bike during the Holidays.

But to my surprise the driver called me at 3:00 pm on Monday and said he can make it to my house by 6:00 pm if that was OK with me. I say come on! So right at 6:00 pm the truck was pulling down my street. It was unloaded and pushed into my garage. There was no gas or battery in the bike. The gas was drained and the battery was shipped to me a few weeks earlier.

I dropped in the battery a placed it on my charger for overnight. I also put in a gallon and a half of gas into the tank. The next morning I hit the starter and it fired right up. I back it out of the garage and loaded it on my trailer to take to the BMW shop for State Inspection and later to the State for Title, Tax, and License fees. I am glad I had my trailer since the bike did not have any License Plate from Florida. So I would not be able to drive the bike without a License Plate.

By 1:00 pm I fill up the gas tank and took off on my first short 35 mile ride.
What a dream of a bike. I have ridden many Honda Goldwings over the years. There is nothing that compares to the K1200LT.

Oh by the way the weather here in Sugar Land, TX today is 77 degrees and clear.

Perfect!

Doug Meinen
2002 BMW K1200LTC - Titian Silver
1998 BMW Z3 roadster 2.8 - Montreal Blue

Clubs
BMW MOA
BMW RA
BMW CCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:49 pm

Go ride some more.. the weather's about to turn bad.!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:23 pm

I think I hear a sick day comming on Friday?
Bob

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 8:48 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Jeez Doug, it's only 1200 miles / 18 hours from Miami to Sugar Land. I coulda had it to you in a day, if you'd have asked. )

Seriously, welcome aboard.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:52 am

Hope you don't mind my asking what the cost of shipping was? Also, were there any scratches on the bike or any damage ?

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 1:59 pm

It's 21 degrees and clear in Kodiak. Nice, brisk, riding weather. Congrats on your new bike.

Mike Gray
Fairbanks, Alaska
2000 K1200LT
2014 F700GS
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats Doug, hope you enjoy it for miles and miles. I am about 6 miles north of you near Hwy 6 and Beechnut. If you want to see a nekkid LT I am planning to strip mine down for 36k service this Friday. Call me at 281-701-6208.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:36 pm

Quote:
My 2002 K1200LTC finely made it to my house
Not sure what you meant to say. Did you mean "finally"?
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinen
Oh by the way the weather here in Sugar Land, TX today is 77 degrees and clear.
Doug, you were doing so well and then had to throw the nice weather at us!

We just had our first snow and ice today here in central Ohio; combine that with my having been out of commission for 2 weeks (recuping from a little surgery) and it could be some time before I get to ride again.

In any event, congrats on the bike. You're already enjoying it!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:08 pm

Congrats Doug!

DOn't forget to go out to the garage a couple times every evening for the first week or so and check on it! I did that when I got mine - just couldn't believe it was mine!

Now you'll really be able to enjoy that harsh winter you guys have down there...
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 12:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
DOn't forget to go out to the garage a couple times every evening for the first week or so and check on it! I did that when I got mine - just couldn't believe it was mine!
And don't forget when you go out there to have your polishing towel and favorite detailing spray at the ready, just in case a dust bunny has taken citizenship on your chrome or a spider has decided to cross your windshield without wiping his feet!
Enjoy the bike!
Ed
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 7:55 am

I would've rode it to your house too.
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 8:17 am

Thumbs up New LT

Congratulations on your new bike. You are way more patient than I am. If I had a trailer, I would have gone after it

Looking forward to the spring when I replace my 1100 VStar with my very own LT. I am in the hunt now and have a few possibilities lined up, timing is everything in buying and selling.

I hope you get lots of great riding in, it is snowing and ugly here in Ohio for Thanksgiving...and until Easter probably.
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 7:49 am

bike shipping costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC
Hope you don't mind my asking what the cost of shipping was? Also, were there any scratches on the bike or any damage ?
I shipped a bike from Des Plaines IL (Ohare Airport area) to Daytona Beach (Bike Week area) for $575. They even held the bike for me for a week, otherwise it would have been about a week for delivery.

They want a pickup/dropoff place to accomodate an 18 wheeler, that's their only requirement. Paid them by money order (their request) on delivery.
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 7:51 am

bike shipping cost

forgot to mention it was 'Keyboard Connection' of Paducah.
They ship piano's and motorcycles (go figure), and the dealers down here use them. Bike was delivered with no problem whatever.
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Re: Long wait for my K1200LTC is over!

I was wondering what the difference is in the K1200LT and the K1200LTC....CAN YOU HELP ME ...........Pat
post #17 of 17 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Re: Long wait for my K1200LTC is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie109
I was wondering what the difference is in the K1200LT and the K1200LTC....CAN YOU HELP ME ...........Pat
Back in the early years of the K1200LT ... BMW produced 2 or 3 models. There was the standard (K1200lt), the Custom(K1200LTC0 and the "E" which stood for Elite (I think). Anyway any model that was the C or Custom had the chrome trim on the mirrors and some of the side parts behind the pegs and such. I also believe the C has the 6 cd changer as standard. I am sure many guys on this site know the specific details better. In later years ... I owned a 2005 LT ... the chrome became standard on all models and the options were added individually or as an option package but they did not produce specific models or the LT. Hope this helps.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in