2005 LT Siezed Front Brake Caliper (not the pistons!) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

2005 LT Siezed Front Brake Caliper (not the pistons!)

Hi Need some help here! I have a 2005 K1200LT with Tokico Evo Brakes (integrated). Started a small project to change all the pads I have two problems:
1. Sheared of the antisqueel plate screws on the left caliper.

2. I also cannot move the pad pin on the left caliper (I have not even looked at the right side yet). I can remove the retaining clip but cannot twist or move the pin.

I don't want to disable the bike by sheering the pad retaining pin as well....Anyone have any ideas how I can remove the pins?

Also what I can do with the sheered antisqueel screws?

Tried the normal stuff releasing oil etc, have not tried heating the caliper as I don't want to damage the unit or disable the bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 9:32 am
was

I have no experience with the antisqueel thingy. Are your calipers aftermarket? I thought all '05 brake calipers were marked with BMW.

On the pin, there is a little retaining clip stuck on the pin and located in the space between the caliper housing and the brake pad. It has a loop on it, but lots of times you can't see it because the pin rotates around to where the loop on the clip is hidden. Get a flashlight and maybe a mirror and locate the retaining clip. Or just rotate the pin until you can see the loop of the clip. Hook it with a pick or a bent paperclip or grab it with needlenose pliers, and pull it straight out. There's one on each pin. Once you have the clip out, the pins will pull out with a little bit of force (there's a split ring metal gizmo around the pin that's a pressure fit into the housing so the pin doesn't rattle around, and if it's tight the pin will resist removal a little bit). HTH.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Hi There, the calipers are OEM, they are marked BMW (they are just made by Tokico, I have located the pins and the retaining clip, but the actual pin is siezed hard into the caliper, can't move it at all!

The antisqueel plates are on the side of the caliper and have to be removed to gain access to the pin above, I have sheared the two screws that hold it on (does not stop the bike being used).

I am thinking about cuting the pin with a cutter and then I will have leaverage to move the pin about and then hopefully extract it...any help advice would be great though!

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 1:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You did remove the little locking clevis clip from the pin, right?

We had a pin stuck in an early caliper that had to be driven out with a drift. You could have the same issue with a built up of brake dust. The pin on the 05 will drive out either side unlike the early one the only goes out one side.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Hi there, The clevis pin has been removed, but on mine the actual pin (not the clevis pin) cannot be driven from either side, the pin is recessed into a blind hole on the inside caliper (it will only come out pulling it outwards from the bike.

Just really wondered if anyone else had had the same problem?

Just for clarity mine is an 05 bike built in Aug 04 and is the version with the hydfulic stand.

Thanks for all you help guys...Its nice to know that theres help out there!
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct - I just went to look at mine and it is a blind hole on the inside. You could always unbolt the caliper from the fork and work it off the disk. Just rock it to push the pistons back in (put some masking tape on the wheel rim to protect it). That may give you better access to the pin with some good pliers to work it free.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in