Foggy radio display screen - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:29 pm Thread Starter

Foggy radio display screen

My radio display screen gets a white foggy substance over the front outside surface. I can clean it with Mcguires clear plastic cleaner. But it will come back in cold wet weather or after a month or two. How do you stop this or has someone found a better cleaner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:13 am

I used denatured alcohol followed by an application of pure Carnauba wax. Been fine for the last year.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:14 am

I use denatured alcohol. It lasts until I wash the bike and then the plastic seems to absorb the residue from the detergent.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:11 am

There are several cleaners including the alchohol mentioned. I have used Stoner's Invisible Glass with excellent results. I then took clear package sealing tape and put it over the display and used an Xacto knife to trim the excess. In spite of many washings and several rain storms, the display remains clear.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try them all and may post the best results I find down the road. It would seem that BMW would have a solution for this in their new production models. As it seems to be an historic problem
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:18 am

Cool Foggy radio display screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcbrowne
There are several cleaners including the alchohol mentioned. I have used Stoner's Invisible Glass with excellent results. I then took clear package sealing tape and put it over the display and used an Xacto knife to trim the excess. In spite of many washings and several rain storms, the display remains clear.
Now, that's a good suggestion! Thanks Paul.
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Question

Has any body had any joy in replacing the screen it self.
im seriously thinking about doing this. it is cracked all over the place and doesnt look good at all.
post #8 of 25 Old Dec 31st, 2005, 2:27 am

Quote:
Where does one find this, Stoner's Invisible Glass? or denatured alchohol? Hope I do not sound too stupid. Never heard of this stuff and my display is bad.
post #9 of 25 Old Dec 31st, 2005, 3:08 am

You can pick up the denatured alchohol up at most any hardware store or the local Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Check back in the paint department around the thinners and other type cleaners. I'm pretty sure I've bought it in the hardware section of Wal-mart before as well. Usually in a metal can.
post #10 of 25 Old Dec 31st, 2005, 3:36 am

Thanks, I will go tomorrow and check it out.
post #11 of 25 Old Dec 31st, 2005, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
Has any body had any joy in replacing the screen it self.
im seriously thinking about doing this. it is cracked all over the place and doesnt look good at all.
It's called a control Element. According to Chicago BMW it lists for 607.50 without Navigator prep and 657.50 with Navigator prep - PN 65147681021 or 65147685617

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #12 of 25 Old Dec 31st, 2005, 5:30 pm

Quote:

Ok, Thank you for the tips. I went to ACE hardware, they had the denatural alchohol, also the wax and sealing tape. We will see, so far so go, looks great. I forgot to mention that when I first had read this post I had bought rubbing alchohol instead of the denatural ooooooops, but the denatural cleared up. Thanks again.
post #13 of 25 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Re: Foggy radio display screen

I just like to know how to remove the foggy radio display from the bike.
New owner...Billy Ross Oakville Ontario.
[email protected]
post #14 of 25 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboyblu
I just like to know how to remove the foggy radio display from the bike.
New owner...Billy Ross Oakville Ontario.
[email protected]
And what would you put in its place?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 25 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 8:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
And what would you put in its place?
OK Tony!!

I think he wanted to remove the FOG from the display.

Denatured alcohol works wonders on a cloudy display.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 25 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Doh! I guess I need to brush up on my Canadian...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #17 of 25 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 8:51 am

I just painted mine black.
It's been good for a couple of years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gm2.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	35878  

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #18 of 25 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Denatured Alchool as suggested here DOES NOT work. At least it didn't work for me.

I tried it today, it cleared the display nicely at first then it turned white with milky substance on it. Further application did not clear it.

It is Worse now than before.
post #19 of 25 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever
Denatured Alchool as suggested here DOES NOT work. At least it didn't work for me.

I tried it today, it cleared the display nicely at first then it turned white with milky substance on it. Further application did not clear it.

It is Worse now than before.
When ole Toad first exhibited the foggy radio screen, I used WD-40 on a clean cotton rag and rubbed/rubbed/rubbed until I figgered all the moisture wuz gone. Then I visited a local pharmacy and talked to the head man - he gave me some Denatured Alcohol from the back - said I wouldn't find it on the shelf in the store - and I used very little of that stuff on a rag and the screen fogginess went away. Then I overlayed the screen with some clear packing tape and cut away the excess. Stayed clear from then on. I did later replace the packing tape with some of the vinyl paint protection film, cut to shape, and that's how it is today - 9 years later. Clear and readable. JM2C,
post #20 of 25 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 1:05 am

I've tried a variety of nostrums, none of which were effective. Upon closer inspection i observed that the display suffers from pitting. When I use 99% denatured alcohol, dunk a Q-tip into it, and then keep rubbing back and forth across the dispaly, after 10 or so Q-tips I can sort of make out what the display says.

In a few days the opiety returns. Since I only use the radio for audio I feed into it via a cassette adapter I really do not need to see what the display says. If for some reasin I do need to read the display I spit on it and rub the spit over the display. That allows me to briefely read a rough outline on the display.

Guess the next step would be very fine polishing paper to get a flat surface and then plastic polic to take the scratches out?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #21 of 25 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 6:15 am

I cleaned mine with denatured alcohol years ago and put scotch tape over it. The trick is to use as little alcohol as possible. I used a cotton ball slightly moistened, and swiped across the display only once. The denatured alcohol very aggressively attacks the display. I could see if a person uses a lot of alcohol it could ruin the display. The alcohol also attacks the surface around the display, changing it from flat black to a glossy black.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #22 of 25 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 9:53 am

The denatured alcohol worked great for me, but then I tried the tape trick. First hot day in the sun, the tape shrunk and bubbled, and when I removed it the adhesive stayed on the display. Now nothing will get the adhesive off. YMMV.
post #23 of 25 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 7:54 pm

I hit mine with a "magic eraser" when it starts to cloud over.
post #24 of 25 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Bill wants to actually remove the display....For the rest of you guys, there is a simple answer: toothpaste "A little dab will do ya". Simply put a dab of toothpaste on a wet finger, rub the outside of the plastic display, wipe it clean. The display will be as clear as when it was new, and actually stay that way for quite awhile. It worked great on my '99 LT. Toothpaste contains a very fine polish that will clean it right up. They say it works on headlights as well, though I haven't tried it.

Dave - NH Seacoast
RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '07 KLR650; '00 KDX200;
Gone, not forgotten: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...
post #25 of 25 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 10:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You can scuff it with a scotch pad and then coat it with automotive clear as in basecoat/clearcoat. Did mine three years ago and it's still perfect. Just taped it off and took it to a local body shop and asked them to hit it with a single coat on their next job. It's a lot more work but it is a permanent solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in