Rear-ended... in the parking lot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:05 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Rear-ended... in the parking lot

I knew something was wrong when I got in the garage this morning... My bike was parked almost sideways while I always park it in a straight line behind my girlfriend's Discovery. Then I noticed that my Cee-Bailey headlight protector was missing and there was something wrong with the headlight itself.
My headlight has been pushed (forced) in the fairing and is now totally crooked, and the protector is gone, with just 2 of the 3m velcro thingies left on the glass.
I then figured out that my bike was rear-ended hard, as proven by the marks on the back of the cases and also on the trunk... The bike was pushed hard against the Discovery and hit the spare wheel, which in turn pushed the headlight into the fairing. The bike then fell on its right side, light scrapes on the tip-wing and side of right panier.
The perpetrator(s) picked the bike right up and took off without leaving a note, taking with them what was left of the Cee-Bailey headlight protector.
I will take some time to remove the nose cone to examine the extend of the damage...
Has anybody ever run into this type of problem before and what will most likely need to be replaced???
The HID and high beam still function, but the headlight is pointing to the left and recessed in the nose...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:09 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Most probably the tabs on the headlight that hold the headlight to the nose cone are broken. New headlight is about $300.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy

Darn! I was so happy when I saw that the glass was no broken, thanks to the Cee-Bailey protector. I was hopping for a couple of bent brackets...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:23 pm

Probably broke the tabs where the screws that clip the light into the fairing go through, or stripped the screws out of the fairing. You won't know until you get the nose fairing off.

Hopefully you will be able to repair the damage. The headlight assembly is about $300-350 if it cannot be repaired. The fairing is likely about the same.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:36 pm

Trunk cases are about $600 each but come painted and ready to install. Tip over wings are easily replaced and $9 ea. All plus installation. Are you insured? Uninsured motorist coverage? Comprehensive coverage? I had some minor damage over the somer and was completely covered by insurance. Make up the difference by selling the slightly damaged items on eBay. You will be surprised by how much you get. It is amazing that the perps/thieves were able to right the bike without further damage. Good luck.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #6 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

The trunk got only minor scratches, as did the wings. Most of the damage is in the front, and the nose cone itself is pretty scuffed.
Once the headlight problem is resolved I may have the bike repainted by a local shop where they should be able to fix all the little scratches. I'll just bring them the fairing panels, paniers, trunk, fender, etc...
Maybe I should look at the Ducati Design headlamp assembly...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #7 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:48 pm

What are the chances of identifying the offender? (typical cop...looking for the 'bad guy' )

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #8 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Maybe I should look at the Ducati Design headlamp assembly...
I have the Ducati Design headlight and really like it. It puts out a lot more light and looks cool to boot. Granted the light output is probably less than the HID but it is sufficient for me.

Nathan Coe
K1600GLT
R1200GSA
Orem Utah

post #9 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:57 pm

I use the adhesive sold at www.coolchem.com. You can use that to reattach your headlight tabs if broken. It *will* work. Its probably sold cheaper elsewhere, but enter in code "1450", and you'll get a discount.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #10 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:00 pm

That stinks.

If it is the tabs on the headlight I would consider the http://www.ducatidesigns.com/ headlight as a replacement. That is what I have as well and really like it. Paul builds a quality product and I believe that it rivals HID. It is at least looking into after taking everything apart and seeing what is actuall broken.
post #11 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
Trunk cases are about $600 each but come painted and ready to install. Tip over wings are easily replaced and $9 ea. All plus installation. Are you insured? Uninsured motorist coverage? Comprehensive coverage? I had some minor damage over the somer and was completely covered by insurance. Make up the difference by selling the slightly damaged items on eBay. You will be surprised by how much you get. It is amazing that the perps/thieves were able to right the bike without further damage. Good luck.
I just filed a claim with Progressive... The bummer is that I have to wait for the adjuster to come see the bike before I can "play" with it and assess the damage.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #12 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
What are the chances of identifying the offender? (typical cop...looking for the 'bad guy' )
We may have a "suspect"... A car with new dents and scratches on the rear bumper that match the height and width of impact on my bike... It is obviously someone who lives in the complex and we have a contact name...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #13 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:10 pm

I had that happen to my truck a few years ago and I told them to fess up or I'd report a hit and run and then just let the police take care of it. They decided to pay for my damages out of pocket.

GO GET 'EM.
post #14 of 29 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
I had that happen to my truck a few years ago and I told them to fess up or I'd report a hit and run and then just let the police take care of it. They decided to pay for my damages out of pocket.

GO GET 'EM.
Sounds like a good plan to me!
I really like the look of your headlight assembly...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:40 am

You might want to inform the police in the fact that maybe any recorded cameras in the parking lot can be summoned for viewing. You as a citizen might not have that power but the law sure does.
Or any night employees at the lot/garage, even something as simple as the guy who empties the garbage or sweeps out the elevators. Why pay for someone else's mistake?
Ed
post #16 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:56 am

A cunning plan!

Quote:
We may have a "suspect"... A car with new dents and scratches on the rear bumper that match the height and width of impact on my bike... It is obviously someone who lives in the complex and we have a contact name...
I would be delighted to head over there and assist in the interview process... I used to have the nickname 'The Pope' as people seemed to like to confess to me... The owner of the car will no doubt have watched CSI or some other *slightly* exaggerated program and will believe that you have matched transfer samples from your bike and his car... He/she will then throw themselves at your feet begging for mercy... That's the plan anyway...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #17 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:52 am

Have NO mercy on them! It sounds like the poeple who did this have no shame and are deceitful.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Updated: Rear-ended in a parking lot

I am happy to report that I found the culprit, and he fessed up when I knocked on his door with my evidence in my digital camera...
He turned out to be a teen-aged boy who was afraid to tell his dad what he had done. He gave me all his insurance info but asked me to give him an estimate of the repairs as he wants to pay in cash and keep his (dad's) insurance out of the picture.
I breathe a little better now, but I am afraid for the kid that the cost of replacing possibly both the nose cone and the headlight assembly, plus all the cosmetic repairs will amount to a pretty penny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 019.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 021.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 022.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	869  

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #19 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 1:31 pm

Talking

I'm happy that you found him, and he's willing to pay for the damages (or so he says - that may change when he finds out just how much it will cost him!).
I guess I'm "old school" but if I were the kid's father, I would want to be told anyway. Then I'd ask junior why he waited to see if he would be caught BEFORE offering to pay for the damages he caused, and then drove away from without leaving a note with an apology and an offer to pay for damages.

Then the kid would be walking until he was 21.
post #20 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
I'm happy that you found him, and he's willing to pay for the damages (or so he says - that may change when he finds out just how much it will cost him!).
I guess I'm "old school" but if I were the kid's father, I would want to be told anyway. Then I'd ask junior why he waited to see if he would be caught BEFORE offering to pay for the damages he caused, and then drove away from without leaving a note with an apology and an offer to pay for damages.

Then the kid would be walking until he was 21.
I really like your thinking Paul...!

After talking to a couple of dealers the cost of parts alone will be way over $1,000, tack on some labor at $85.00/hour and pretty soon it adds up to "real" money, huh!
Bottom line I have called his insurance company as I want this expedited and the repairs to be thorough... My bike should look as good as before the accident...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #21 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 5:17 pm

It may even...

get totaled Gilles...yours is a 99 right? If they start looking into it (it was crunched between two vehicles and fell over) and find broken tabs on the frame etc. it wont take much to get close to blue book value. I would definitely have a report filed with the police, just to cover the hit and run. No telling what the kid will do next time....

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #22 of 29 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
get totaled Gilles...yours is a 99 right? If they start looking into it (it was crunched between two vehicles and fell over) and find broken tabs on the frame etc. it wont take much to get close to blue book value. I would definitely have a report filed with the police, just to cover the hit and run. No telling what the kid will do next time....
So far it would appear that the nose cone and headlight assembly need replacing, and possibly the aluminium frame inside the nose... The rest is mostly cosmetic, such as the panier and trunk... (although expensive plastic, thank goodness for insurance).
Since my bike only has 30 k miles on it I am not sure I am ready to have it totalled unless, as you pointed, there is some frame damage.
We'll see what they find out when disassembling...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #23 of 29 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:46 am

Sounds like you're going down the insurance road - which is a good thing. I thought I'd add my two cents around folks wanting to "pay out of pocket so their insurance doesn't go up." First, ah, maybe their insurance needs to go up. Second, my insurance agent told me if I took one dime from the gal who hit me (car not bike) that I'd basically be agreeing to settle with them and the insurance company wouldn't pay or attempt to subrogate from the responsible party.

Leaving the insurance company out of it is a very bad idea...
post #24 of 29 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:00 am

Sorry to hear about your accident. What are the changes of camera coverage of the parking area? Could try posting some signs asking for any information pertaining to the accident.

Jim in GA
post #25 of 29 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:13 am

Quote:
So far it would appear that the nose cone and headlight assembly need replacing, and possibly the aluminium frame inside the nose... The rest is mostly cosmetic, such as the panier and trunk... (although expensive plastic, thank goodness for insurance).
Since my bike only has 30 k miles on it I am not sure I am ready to have it totalled unless, as you pointed, there is some frame damage.
We'll see what they find out when disassembling...
The book value is about $7500 for the 99... The insurance company decides when/if to total the bike... generally 80% of book value is the line that will cause them to total it out. So you will only need about 6000 in parts/labor for a total. With the cost of parts& plastic, plus $80/hour labor rates, it won't take long to get there.

You may have a scuff on a panel here or there and decide you can live with that and it does not need a replacement, but the insurance company will price out a replacement. You can always buy it back from the Ins co if they total it, but then you wind up with a totaled/salvage note on your title in most states.

good luck with this... I hope your experience is better than the ones I've had with insurance companies.
post #26 of 29 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

I filed a claim with Mercury (the other guy's insurance) and I am now waiting for the adjuster to contact me...
I was a bit bummed last night as the temp was very nice and warm and nothing would have been better than a nice ride to Malibu with the GF and have dinner by the seaside... Instead my riding is on hold...
Hopefully pretty soon I will have a "new looking" bike again...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #27 of 29 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:56 pm

I would call the Police and have a report made. That way there is NO way for them to get out of their responsiblity.
Maybe the punk will get the idea that lying and his deceit does not pay!

Have no mercy!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #28 of 29 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 12:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
...my insurance agent told me if I took one dime from the gal who hit me (car not bike) that I'd basically be agreeing to settle with them and the insurance company wouldn't pay or attempt to subrogate from the responsible party. Leaving the insurance company out of it is a very bad idea...
Good point Dan,
I believe the legal term might be 'issue estoppel'...namely that you would thereby be estopped (prevented) from taking further action due to your agreement (contract) with the other party...If I were the insurance company, I would certainly try this argument... Sorry to go all legal there...but I have to some how get my monies worth out of the new law degree...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #29 of 29 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 1:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
namely that you would thereby be estopped (prevented) from taking further action due to your agreement (contract) with the other party
Is there a time limitation on this to withdraw your acceptance, or would it be immediate? Just curious.
Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in