Where to find hot wire for reverse? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Question Where to find hot wire for reverse?

Hi you all wiring gurus!

Could somebody advise me with the following issue:

I would need to locate a wire which is hot only when the reverse lever is engaged. Or to make my question simpler: Imagine that there would be a back-up light in LT. From where would you wire it? (No no, I'm not making back-up lights...but something related to that...)

I'm not happy to have a wire hot only when the starter is turning (or when the starter button is activated - same thing, I know...).

Obviously ther must be a limit switch somewhere in the tranny (or hopefully on the outside of it) that knows when the reverse lever is turned to "R".

Thanks in advance

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 3:42 pm

I can't help you with the wire...but maybe you could find an "always hot" wire near the reverse dial...and wire up your gizmo such that the forward-reverse dial acts as a switch that opens the circuit when in forward.

Just a thought from a lazy brain.

post #3 of 11 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 4:32 pm

Fused hot from battery to relay.

Trip the relay with the feed to the 'R' light. Can use skinny wires, etc. Power your 'backup alarm' (or whatever it is) <g> from the relay.

Not convienient - but it'll work and safely.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:12 pm

The connector that goes to the switches that indtcates in reverse or not is located on the left side about in the same location as the fuel pump connector.

DON
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi you all wiring gurus!

Could somebody advise me with the following issue:

I would need to locate a wire which is hot only when the reverse lever is engaged. Or to make my question simpler: Imagine that there would be a back-up light in LT. From where would you wire it? (No no, I'm not making back-up lights...but something related to that...)

I'm not happy to have a wire hot only when the starter is turning (or when the starter button is activated - same thing, I know...).

Obviously ther must be a limit switch somewhere in the tranny (or hopefully on the outside of it) that knows when the reverse lever is turned to "R".

Thanks in advance

I've been thinking about putting a reverse beeper on mine just to give some friends a hard time, I would tap into the reverse light and run a relay off it to power up something else, .

JWIWD

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thank you gentlemen for your advise and comments,

the gizmo I'm putting on is a "reverse radar". You know, four sensors that are checking the distance of the vehicle to an object behind.
I thought it might be useful as there is a pine tree on my front yard which I have to try to avoid every time I back up my bike from the garage. So far I've managed to hit it only once (no damage luckily).
My fellow LT rider was more thorough. On his maiden trip he backed up his LT to a gas station fence with the result that his rear light assembly cracked...

I know, I know, the bike has the mirrors (mine has even four of them) and my neck is still the type that swivels and turns so this must be pretty high on the list of the most needless farkles for LT ;-)
But on the other hand - what else is there to do during the 5 months of the dark and cold non-riding season?

Just asking...

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:34 am

Ari

With your love of farkelizing, an electrical manual would surely be a good investment!

The reverser switch is not very clearly marked in the manual. The English 'Key to Schematics' section, says the acronym 'RFH' is used for the 'Reverser' and the relevant diagram appears to be Schematic V ['Controller, starter and Motronic (reverser)'].

Schematic Diagram V then lists (in German):

A9280 Starter/Motronic RFH (RückFahrHilfe)....56; IX

A9280 looks like the Motronic itself and is at the top of the actual diagram, with dozens of connectors. So not very helpful, as it's obviously not the reverser switch. However, 'RUECKFAHRHILFE' *is* marked on the diagram next to device S9092, which looks more promising, as it as a 4-wire connection (double switch). However (again), S9092 is listed in the index as 'Getriebeschalter' (in German) or 'Neutral Safety Switch' (in English), rather than 'reverser'. Hence the confusion. Maybe David S or Mark can shed some light on this.

An alternative approach is to use the reverser indicator light (H9003). That should fill your requirements since it is obviously linked to the action of the reverser knob, so you could tie into it. The manual shows its power supply as provided by a brown wire with yellow stripe.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 5:26 am

Cool!
A reversing radar ,sonar distance, beeping detecting do-dad , thingie-whatsie

WOW!!

I got to have me one of those...

From memory you can buy these as aftermarket add-ons here in australia from places like Autobarn and the likes.

I must add this to the project list.
Many more projects to do before this one though.

Thinking about it, you know what else would come in handy , a little reverse light .would not have to be to bright, but i find the tail lights at night time could be brighter to help reversing.

Last edited by Dezrae; Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:36 am.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:08 am Thread Starter

David ,

Thanks again a lot for going deep and thorough into my problem. Yes you are right about the electrical manual, I should purchase one. On the other hand, I'm just a self made electrician and reading all those fancy scientific wiring schematics just get me confused...All I understand about electrics is that "always connect matching colors and put the leftovers under the same screw".

Anyway, I think I'll hunt the brown with yellow stripe and make that wire to power an external relay as some others also suggested. And if really get carried away and run out of projects, maybe a set of Hella Xenons would be a nice touch for back-up lighting in addition to my sonar/radar/x-ray whatchamacallit...;-)

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
David ,

Anyway, I think I'll hunt the brown with yellow stripe and make that wire to power an external relay as some others also suggested. And if really get carried away and run out of projects, maybe a set of Hella Xenons would be a nice touch for back-up lighting in addition to my sonar/radar/x-ray whatchamacallit...;-)

Best regards
well darn the zenon's i did were mounted forward, spo my templates wont help for rear facing ones <grinj>

but herre take a look anyway

www.bikershut.net on the left frame you will see a link

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 25th, 2005, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your link Tom,

actually I have been quietly considering similar Hella Xenons as you have. Your pictures were very informative.
In fact for the back-up light installation there would be a nice place for the ballasts behind the rear plastic panel ;-)

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in