Yikes...Flat tire 100 miles from home.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Yikes...Flat tire 100 miles from home....

Well , had a GREAT 3 day trip in the Hill Country in central Texas with the wife .....HOT but absolutely incredible. Road the "Three Sisters" , three fantastic curvy hill/small mountain roads....about 1200 miles in all. The LTC was fantastic when rolling, comfy, smooth , averaging about 46+ mpg . Had the iPod pumping out great tunes and the wife said it was the most comfy bike we have ever owned . Kept a small bag cooler in the top case with chilled Gatorade for the stops (ambient temp gauge telling me it was usually over 100 deg F in the afternoons).

On the last leg home, about 110 miles west of Houston, start hearing and feeeling a thumping. Thought it might be the road , moved around a bit and realized it was not. I was last in line in our group at the time (6 bikes , 3 HD's , 2 Yammies and us) and rolled up to the bike ahead of me and had him take a look/see ..... he indicated rear tire was going down. Slowed and moved over and saw a sign for Picnic rest stop within a half mile , thank goodness. Just as I was slowly exiting she started to get a bit squirrely as expected and I was able to carefully bring her to a stop and get us both off safely.

Got her on the centerstand and couldnt find anything in the tire , a Metzeler 880 with about 40% tread left and starting to square off a bit . Upon pouring water on the tire I finally saw some very small bubbles indicating a hole. Got out the repair kit in the tool bag and .......

After reaming the hole couldnt get any of the three supplied plugs to go in, they would rip in half.....I was not happy . Thank goodness one of the other riders in the group got me some other plugs (car style) and they worked easily. When trying to air up the tire with the CO2 bottles, first one worked flawlessly.....second went in fine but then I couldnt unscrew the valve and even with slight pressure it ended up pulling out the valve stem completely and deflating the tire and my spirits. Once again , I nearly threw the bike into a field as my buddy chuckled.....

Had to have my bro n law get our trailer and come get us......tough ending to an otherwise great trip.

Now I need new tires and am torn ...... Bridgestones have most failures and go fewest miles before replacement , Metzelers have some failures and develop the growl from odd wear but give you more miles and then there are the new Avon radials which seem to be getting great reviews but are a bit unproven and harder to come by.

I am going to replace both tires because I have come to realize looking at the DOT stamp these tires were made in '01 ! Yikes , should have checked that before the trip....

Anyway moral to the story.....check your ride thoroughly BEFORE you go , I was not thorough enough , though a flat like this can happen at any time. Practice your riding skills and be as prepared for these types of events ( I have ridden for 30 of my 40 years on all types of bikes in all conditions , have taken MSF and racing courses ) as you can .

Any tire recommendations or comments also welcome.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Are you ok? I'm 35 miles north of Dallas, just put new ME 880's on front and rear, if you need them, I can swap wheel and tire(s) with you to get you home, let me know (312) 246-4368.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Shriker ...I would say to get a "Stop & Go" tire plug kit and a small compressor Slime makes a great one. this will help with the flats.As far as checkin out the bike carefully your on your own buddy

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:22 pm

I use my little DC air pump I bought from Wal-Mart for around $15 all the time for topping off my bicycle tires, basketball, car tires and carry it in my LT saddlebag all the time. Have used it a few times a year to fix flats or low tires on my friends bikes. I also have one of those tire plug kits with the rubber "rope" and ream and insertion tools and usually carry a can of Fix a Flat. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach as something with any 3 of those can go wrong.

The stock tire repair kit is junk. The rubber cement goes hard, the plugs and tools fall apart.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:35 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

That is why I use this product:

http://www.ride-onshop.com/Products-Motorcycles.html

Here is what it looks like after being in a tire, this one was a rear Metz.

Great product IMHO. Will balance a tire for sure. The wetness is from lube to run the tire irons. It is tacky and over a long sitting period of time it will puddle a little, but in 10 miles or so it has balanced the tire again.

It also will facilitate a plug in sealing. I guess I need a compressor now, on my HD I had a fitting to go into my spark plug hole, start the bike and it would pump clean air into the tire, by some sort of valving it was not pushing exhaust gas, but in fact clean air, don't think it will work on the LT, hell I have not seen a plug on a LT except for Dave's stripped LT.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Pete.....thanks but I am OK and home safe and sound. Just needing a new tire. I appreciate you offering....goes both ways....if you ever need anything near Houston, let me know (check out my business website in my sig for contact info) .

LAF , Tim , and Kat.....Great suggestions. Small compressor a must , those CO2 bottles are near worthless and are just as large/heavy as small compressors these days. A better kit is a must as well....That sealant is very interesting....does it cause any probs with your wheels in any way?
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:46 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriker
Pete.....thanks but I am OK and home safe and sound. Just needing a new tire. I appreciate you offering....goes both ways....if you ever need anything near Houston, let me know (check out my business website in my sig for contact info) .

LAF , Tim , and Kat.....Great suggestions. Small compressor a must , those CO2 bottles are near worthless and are just as large/heavy as small compressors these days. A better kit is a must as well....That sealant is very interesting....does it cause any probs with your wheels in any way?
Nope.
It is really worth the read on the site I posted.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Good stuff....will have to give it a try . Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in