Mirrors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:21 am Thread Starter

Mirrors

I have lost my 4th mirror. My wife is getting upset that that will be $800 in mirror replacement. The last 2 were tethered.
I was wonder if I am the only one with this problem?
I was also hoping someone out there might have and extra right side mirror, or both sides for a better price.
I have a 2000 Basalt Gray LT. I will take any color just to save the money and maybe paint later. If the price is right, a pair of crome?
Beemer Boneyard has not got back with me.
I may, just have to break down and order a new one?

Regards,
Phillip Blackstone
25041 Alpha Street
Moreno Valley, Ca. 92557

[email protected]
951-924-6503
909-260-2801-cell
www.scbmwrc.com
MOA-108877
AMA-806403
IBA-27165

Phillip A Blackstone
Moreno Valley, CA.
2000 K 1200 LT
South Coast BMW Riders Club
SCBMWRC.com

Last edited by Phil_Blackstone; Aug 15th, 2007 at 10:23 am. Reason: miss spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:23 am

What happened to the 2 that were tethered?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:24 am

post #4 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:41 am

Mirrors

I lost one pretty quick, then tethered them with commercial tethers from A & S Cycles. You could easily make your own tethers from materials @Home Depot or Ace. Also removed as much grease as I could from mounting pins and this seems to help keep 'em on. Moreno Valley? Wow. I lived there when it was still Sunnymead. Best of luck.
2005 LT
post #5 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:59 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Actually you WANT a good layer of grease as this helps the wires slide completely over the pins to give maximum grip. A dry wire will not go fully over the pin. The second thing is you want to have a visible gap around the mount as any body contact will also reduce the grip. Not as pretty when it is up close and personal but it will stay on better. Add washers to the pins to increase the clearance. Make sure there are no cracks in the plastic where the wires are imbedded.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:08 pm

Wink right mirror,

There is a right mirror on EBay.....

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #7 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Garage
After using the commercially available wire tethers, and having them break, I resorted to heavy duty wire ties. I tether the mirrors to the hole in the body created by the vertical metal piece towards the front of the housing and loop the tie through the hole on the back of the mirror. Don't pull the wire tie too tight, or the mirror won't sit well. Even if it's loose, they should just dangle and not fall off and break. Hope this helps in the future. Right now, I have no extra mirrors to offer.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #8 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:35 pm

I lost mine (left side after hitting a huge pot hole). I had it tethered with steel fishing leader, I thought was good enough but it just snapped it too.

I bought real tethers and new shocks!

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 31 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I lost mine (left side after hitting a huge pot hole). I had it tethered with steel fishing leader, I thought was good enough but it just snapped it too.

I bought real tethers and new shocks!

You mean you did not have to buy a new mirror

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #10 of 31 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 11:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I don't think this was answered but I have almost 45,000 and no problems with the mirrors escaping. Zip ties are what I use, just in case.
My wrench says:
1. Grease the 3 wire lock points
2. Make sure the 3 pins are positioned so the mirror has a uniform gap all the way around
3. Make sure all 3 locking points are engaged properly
4. Zip tie with one that is large enough to withstand an escape attempt
Just my .02

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #11 of 31 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Thumbs up

Phil,

Why do you need mirrors? Rumor has it your out of riding? Or is it just with those people from SCBMWRC?

Anyway, I have 70K on my '02 LT and tethered the mirrors with nylon covered stainless steel 7 strand wire when new. The wire cam from a sporting goods store fishing department. It's used as leader line for "shark fishing" and has a 300# break strength. I simply used a lead parallel wire crimp and the quick release swivels used for fishing hooks as the disconnect. I've never had a failure and I 've done 500+ miles of dirt, gravel and chip seal on the haul road to Prudo Bay Alaska. I've had a mirror bound off the balls once or twice, but I never lost one to the hard earth. Bring your bike over sometime and I'll build you a set. I Just did Tom Hooper's new LT and I still have plenty of material to build more.

That is of course assuming your still talking to us?

LTmagic
post #12 of 31 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 3:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1951
Phil,

Why do you need mirrors? Rumor has it your out of riding? Or is it just with those people from SCBMWRC?

Anyway, I have 70K on my '02 LT and tethered the mirrors with nylon covered stainless steel 7 strand wire when new. The wire cam from a sporting goods store fishing department. It's used as leader line for "shark fishing" and has a 300# break strength. I simply used a lead parallel wire crimp and the quick release swivels used for fishing hooks as the disconnect. I've never had a failure and I 've done 500+ miles of dirt, gravel and chip seal on the haul road to Prudo Bay Alaska. I've had a mirror bound off the balls once or twice, but I never lost one to the hard earth. Bring your bike over sometime and I'll build you a set. I Just did Tom Hooper's new LT and I still have plenty of material to build more.

That is of course assuming your still talking to us?

LTmagic

How about a photo?

I live in L.A. and go to San Diego about once a month. Will you build me a set if I drop by? I'll help with your computer if you need it (I'm a certified tech).

m
post #13 of 31 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 5:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Making sure the mirrors are mounted correctly with an even gap as described is important, as is making sure the plastic isn't broken near the front wire clips.

If you're going to use tethers, make sure they are strong, mounted securely, and don't interfere with the mirror's normal fit.

Another option is to use a screw as described in this post. A sheet metal screw works, or maybe a plastic screw so the mirrors will stay on normally, but break off if they hit something directly. Just be sure whoever removes the mirrors for service knows about those screws.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 31 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 6:49 am
ajs

I did the zip tie tether AND the sheet metal screw mod. I don't know why though, I have never had a mirror break away before. I guess I read too much of this addictive site and thought it a good idea. Especially since I was planning a cross Canada trip and I don't plan to do any lane splitting. I didn't get to complete the cross Canada trip and the lane splitting is still a no no. Guess what, I still haven't lost a mirror.
post #15 of 31 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:59 am

Not all wire ties the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
After using the commercially available wire tethers, and having them break, I resorted to heavy duty wire ties. I tether the mirrors to the hole in the body created by the vertical metal piece towards the front of the housing and loop the tie through the hole on the back of the mirror. Don't pull the wire tie too tight, or the mirror won't sit well. Even if it's loose, they should just dangle and not fall off and break. Hope this helps in the future. Right now, I have no extra mirrors to offer.
For everyone using or considering using plastic cable straps, wire ties, whatever ya wanna call 'em, make sure you're using a decent product. Many of the grab bag plastic ties have a tensile strength of 30-40 lbs or less. Make sure you get something like the Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap or the Panduit Dome-Top Barb Ty BT3LH-TL0, which have a metal barb, a tensile strength of 120 lb, and are made from weather-resistant Nylon 6.6. If you can't find this at your local big box, then your local electrical supply store will have it. T&B has a 175-lb tensile strength Nylon 6.6 tie, but the smallest length is 35", so you'll have plenty to trim off.

By the time you get one of those mirrors to generate a 120 or 175-lb shock load, you're probably breaking something else on the bike too.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #16 of 31 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
And NEVER use those cheap, white zip ties, right Joe? ALWAYS use the quality black ones.

(The white ones aren't UV-resistant and will deteriorate if used outside.)

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 31 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 2:59 pm

I like the idea of the sheet metal screw, but I have this horrific image of taking the bike to the dealer for service and having them try to pop off a mirror for whatever reason... then hitting it a little harder, then again and suddenly removing a chunk of fairing! (As meese mentions.)

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #18 of 31 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 3:28 pm

Mirrors

I just lost my first mirrow. LH. Hit a pothole, had a heavy gage fishing lead with compression fittings, then screwed on both ends. Looks like the impact made the wire slip out of the compression fitting. If any one has a LH available, LMK.

Ultra LT
post #19 of 31 Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:10 pm

Warranty replacement

My dealer replaced both my '05 mirrors under warranty. One fell off due to a pothole. The other had a broken inner bracket next to one of the spring clip. Don't forget to keep the springs and bolt heads lubed and use the heaviest zip ties that will fit in the housing.
post #20 of 31 Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:10 pm

Make sure when you put the mirrows back on you don't pound on them or you will break the plastic around the spring clips. After breaking both of mine the dealer showed me the correct method of using leaverage to snap them into place, all good since.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #21 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 4:16 pm

what mirrors?

I just bought a 2002 LT. The mirrors are in the fairing. Are these the mirrors you're talking about?
post #22 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybmwbiker
I just bought a 2002 LT. The mirrors are in the fairing. Are these the mirrors you're talking about?
I have the '05 and it looks the same as your '02. I don't think the mirrors are "in the fairing." If you rap the back side of the mirror with your palm, it should pop right off. The mirrors have spring clips that snap on to round headed bolts. The mirrors have been know to "pop off" when you hit a pothole. Thus the warnings to lube the round head bolts and spring clips and teather the mirrors to their mounts with large zip ties. Either that or pay about $350 each to replace them when (not if) they pop off.
post #23 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Call me LUCKY

I've put several hundred 'off road' miles on my bike. Like mentioned before, I have ridden river levees covered in gravel, Midwest country roads (Wisconsin's gravel farm roads are smoother than our paved roads), I have even road it out through a farm field and back. I have never had a mirror pop off (knock on wood!)

It did pop off when I attempted a U-Turn in the dark and on an unfamiliar road, and I dropped her. Other than that, I have never even worried about them. I guess now I should go out and figure a way to tether them.

For you guys that have them tethered AND have had them pop off, what happens to the mirror? Doesn't it swing back into the fairing damaging the fairing? Yeah I know that the cost of the mirrors is spendy, but isn't they bodywork costly too?

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #24 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2007, 9:07 pm

wire tyes ,not good

Wire tyes get hot and strech and give you the mirror falling to the ground in slow play, safety wire workes the best, and can make leeds short as not to scrach paint, .032 wire and a pair of safety wire pliers abought 35.00
post #25 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHeadake
I've put several hundred 'off road' miles on my bike. Like mentioned before, I have ridden river levees covered in gravel, Midwest country roads (Wisconsin's gravel farm roads are smoother than our paved roads), I have even road it out through a farm field and back. I have never had a mirror pop off (knock on wood!)

It did pop off when I attempted a U-Turn in the dark and on an unfamiliar road, and I dropped her. Other than that, I have never even worried about them. I guess now I should go out and figure a way to tether them.

For you guys that have them tethered AND have had them pop off, what happens to the mirror? Doesn't it swing back into the fairing damaging the fairing? Yeah I know that the cost of the mirrors is spendy, but isn't they bodywork costly too?
They sorta just relax onto the fairing. I had both pop off when I hit a bump outside of Jackson, WY. It really surprised me as the bump didn't seem to be that severe. They basically just hung onto the end of the tether until I found a safe place to pull off a few miles down the rode. Didn't blow around in the wind or anything, just hung there. I have an '07 LT.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the info and chat about the mirrors. My friend Vern offered to help me secure the mirrors next time. I guess I am going to have to break down and buy a new one anyway. Just have to catch it from the wife.

Phillip A Blackstone
Moreno Valley, CA.
2000 K 1200 LT
South Coast BMW Riders Club
SCBMWRC.com
post #27 of 31 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Mirrors

I am also searching for mirrors--both of them. It seams to be very difficult to find. If anyone knows of a couple for sale, please let me know--thanks!
post #28 of 31 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I have not had any problems with my mirrors. The dealer at my last service tethered them with zip ties. The service manager said he was doing it to all the LT's as a precaution.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #29 of 31 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare
I like the idea of the sheet metal screw, but I have this horrific image of taking the bike to the dealer for service and having them try to pop off a mirror for whatever reason... then hitting it a little harder, then again and suddenly removing a chunk of fairing! (As meese mentions.)
this is a two step procedure:

1) Install a black sheetmetal screw. Cost 10 cents, time 2 minutes per site, effectiveness outstanding.

2) Service your own bike. If you are not mechanically inclined make friends with those who are. Buying dinners and good bottles of wine works.

At the end, you save money, enjoy your bike more, and have new friends.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #30 of 31 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Well it's not the year or color. I have a 2000 Basalt Grey LT also and have not lost one mirror at 45,000 miles.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #31 of 31 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 9:57 am

A #6 or #8 non-metallic screw works pretty good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in