Low gas reading - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Wink Low gas reading

For years I have been filling my bike up on the side stand, right to the top. My gas gage would show me half full. I pulled the sending unit out and checked for dents and plugged vents and found nothing wrong. I took a trip 2 weeks ago with another guy with a Lt. and at 150 miles my bike said I was empty and his said he had another 150 miles. We keep going with mine on empty for another 1hr and 1/2. I could not take my eyes off the empty gas gage and the low gas light. I decided right then and there that I was going to do something when I got home. The first thing I was going to try was a new sending unit. As soon as it was back together and on the check out ride I knew I hit on the problem that I had lived with for over 2 yrs. Now when the tank is full my gas gage says it is full and when I am at 250 miles I can gas up and still have 1 gal. in the tank. I should have fix this ages ago. Just thought others might be having the same problem too and like to hear how I fix it.
Steve Kurtenbach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:18 pm

I have the same problem. I never look at the gas gage. Did it mess up your trip computer too? My MPG is always way less that what I calculate. What did a new sending unit cost? Thanks for letting me know what my problem probably is!

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:40 pm

Smile

try www.cyclesrecycled.com they might have one

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 6:40 am Thread Starter

The sending unit cost $152.00 and took about 1 1/2 to put in. All the plastic is what took the time. Everything works right but I was about 1 mile per gal. off, so I fix that. Did you know that there is a way to fix you own mpg reading. I found the fix in the Hall of Wisdom. I am really tickled with having a gas gauge that works and when it says I am out, I am out.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 8:53 am

read me before buying...

Um, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I noticed that if you read the manual (at least on the '04 and earlier), the dealership can re-program the low fuel light based on owner preference (i.e. if you are one who prefers it to pop on with a gallon and a half "in reserve" or half a gallon, it can be adjusted) when I was paging through the electronic version to change my fuel filter.

The verbiage in the manual states:

"NOTE:
The immersion-tube sensor has to be calibrated if it or the fuel tank has been replaced. Calibration allows the reserve fuel capacity of the fuel tank to be adjusted to suit customer preferences."

then has instructions for the tech:

-Pour 4 litres...of fuel (or the quantity requested by the customer) into the empty fuel tank.
-Connect the MoDITeC to the diagnostic connector beneath the saddle
Call up the TOOLBOX menu on the diagnostic unit and select the PROGRAM TANK RESERVE item.
-Follow the MoDITeC intructions.

I'm told that this also resolves the "hey, I can SEE that my tank is filled to the brim, how come my damn gauge says I have 3/4 of a tank?" issue.

I'd guess that while replacing your sensor, you did something to appease the gods of speed...but if it were me, I'd want to have it calibrated (or have someone follow me with some spare gas and do a test run until it triggered the low fuel light...then fill the tank and subtract the amount of fuel it took to fill her, that'll tell you how much fuel was left in the tank when the low fuel light went on...and thus what your "reserve" amount is--if you're happy with that, then you did good, if not, then you'll want to visit your local shop sometime)

Others on the thread, you might not wanna' pop for a new "sending unit" before at least chatting up your shop's mechanic first...

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Out of gas

What problems with the bike do you get "if" you run out of gas?? I would like to see how far I can go with my gas light on, but I read in a thread that on the LT it is bad for the engine to run out of gas. I do have a 22 fl.oz. gas can that I can carry on the bike. Got from a HD place and have use it on other bikes (that did not have a gas gage).
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Well, if you run dry, putting enough gas in her should allow the bike to fire right back up without any drama(don't ask me why I know this). I'd carry more than 22 oz if I were gonna' try your experiment, however.

Doing that deliberately will minimally put your fuel pump in harm's risk (part alone costs $230-$290, if you don't do the work yourself you can plan on at least 5 hours of labor, including removing the tupperware, draining the fuel tank, etc.) at an average $80 an hour plus tax...that's about a $700 gamble for the sake of knowing just how many miles you have left when the light pops on...

Figure that there's a fraction over a gallon left when your light pops on unless something is wrong or it's been recallibrated, figure what your average mileage is over the next couple tanks of gas, and pretend you ran her dry, it's not worth the risk.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 1:41 am

on my last trip i unknowingly past the "last" gas station and the computer said i had 100km to empty...........

my gps said 70 km to next gas station.........

30 km in we start climbing..consumption goes up...and up....and.....

uh oh...........

i'm frantically crunching numbers in my head...lower the windshield and tell the missus to tuck in...........

22km to gas station...computer says 15 for the last 5-6 kms and.....oh crap...it just flatlined.... it now says " ---km " not good...........

come around the corner and there's a gas station that was new and not in the GPS. whew!!!

i pumped in 5.65 US gal into a 6.34US gal tank. not quite on fumes but would have been if i had to do the last 22kms...........
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 7:17 am

A while back I got the “Low Gas” warning light and assumed I had 1 gallon left. Well, I did not have that much gas left and ran out of gas after 15 miles. I learned two things: a) fuel up right away if the light comes on (or have the dealer recalibrate the sensor), and b) carry an empty camping gas canister to get gas from a gas station if I ever run out of gas again. The first lesson is obvious. The second comes from getting a ride from a motorist to the nearest gas station and being handed a barely functional, and very dirty gasoline container!! If it ever happens again, the gas I can put in the camping gas canister will hopefully get me to the nearest gas station to refuel.

OscarF

Oscar F
2006 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in