Remus muffler - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Talking Remus muffler

I bought my used 2000LT with a Remus muffler and a Rhine West chip. I have to say, having no basis of camparison to a stock muffler, I like the Remus. I wouldn't mind a quieter ride, but I have come to think (wish?) that the Remus muffler might just create enough warning of my approach as to scare animals away or at least alert them to my approach. Not sure, but I think there is something about the frequency of the sound that catches their attention. Okay. It may be fanciful, but it makes me feel a tad safer out there in bambi land when I ride. One thing seems certain, if they don't hear you coming and there is no warning of your approach, they are more likely to intercede between you and your destination than if they have somewhat of a heads up.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 5:02 pm

So, "loud pipes save lives?"

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Shameless cut 'n paste from: http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

----------------------------------
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Are you kidding? Do we need to cover this again?
- The vast majority of bike accidents are from the front. To have any chance of alerting those motorists to the presence of a motorcycle with exhaust noise would require that the tailpipe be pointed forward. LOL. The chances of rearward-facing straight pipes making a bike more obvious are very slim. The reality of the loud pipe is that all you'll succeed in doing is irritating all the people behind and beside you who don't pose much of a threat anyway.
- You are pissing off everyone around you. So who cares if you gun the throttle past an open driver's-side window and scare the hell out of the occupants? At least they see you, right? Maybe, but take a look at what happened to personal watercraft in Minnesota. Take a look at what happened in Yellowstone. Put it another way: how much do you appreciate the "music" blaring from other people's cars: the throbbing car stereo that shakes the very ground with some indistinguishable bass crap? How interested in someone else's music are you? Perhaps nobody else wants to listen to it. Perhaps they don't like the sound. Maybe they're trying to concentrate, or talk, or watch TV, or sleep. Maybe their kids are trying to sleep.
- Loud exhaust pipes are illegal. Even HD has finally stopped installing them.

If you are really concerned about saving lives, a $20.00 reflective safety vest will save your biscuit a thousand times before that loud pipe will.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Loud Pipes?

Okay, let be clear. I don't think the Remus muffler on my bike would qualify as a loud pipe. Nor was I talking about alerting people I was coming, I was talking about alerting animals like deer out in the relative quiet of the countryside. And I was suggesting that the particular frequency of the Remus muffler on my bike, more than its loudness might be an alarm for them. Sorry if I was unclear. Didn't mean to even suggest that loud pipes are a good idea. Didn't realize this was such a touchy issue.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #5 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Tate:
Lighten up a little. He ain't riding a Harley with drag pipes. Those Remus pipes ain't at all loud, mine aren't.

B D R
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:52 pm

I'm with ya Gunny - and no - I weren't trying to comment on the Remus gear. Just the 'loud pipes' and lives bit (love to see Myth Busters do a bit on that!). But hey - you know, tiz cool. Even an ol fart back woods throw back like me likes the sound of a good engine - now and then.

Tate

post #7 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:12 pm

Since the sound is coming out the rear of the pipe, I think people behind the bike have a tendency to hear you better then the ones in front of you.. So I am not sure that your argument holds water..

You always hear a bike more after it has past then before it has past.
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
Since the sound is coming out the rear of the pipe, I think people behind the bike have a tendency to hear you better then the ones in front of you.. So I am not sure that your argument holds water..

You always hear a bike more after it has past then before it has past.
You hear it coming and going, but because of the physics of the way sound travels coming towards you vs going away from you, you hear it differently. Anyway, it's not really an arguement, it's just kind of wondering. I suppose only the deer can say for sure.

Greg

post #9 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:05 pm
cws

Garage
There's a product in Oz call ShuRoo designed for this purpose. Don't know how well it works, there seems to be reasonable comment on line that supports the makers claims.
Made for cars, but I'm sure some clever sole could adapt it to an LT.
If I ever get to do my 'roundOZ trip, I think it will be one of the farkles I invest in.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:43 am

Cool! A Down Under Deer Whistle!!

::run, duck & hide::

Tate

post #11 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 2:50 am
rlv

Well I just don't know what we motorcyclist are suspose to do.
Every where you turn someone is telling you to sell the bikes and leave them alone, now this site.
What if
What if
What if a car was in that exact same place in time that the motorcyclist was.
Would the out come be the same. Would they be putting it up on the web for all to see.
There are several car wrecks each and every day with people killed across this nation but you let one motorcyclist get killed and man oh man it is on each and every news channel in the nation, and at work, did you hear about that motorcyclist getting killed? What is going on here, is it a national movement to get bikes off the road, does everybody not riding a motorcycle hate motorcyclist, are motorcyclist soon to be a thing of the past?
Boat wrecks with people getting killed, jet ski wrecks with people getting killed, I know it happens but where is all of the news and the hype that the motorcyclist has to face? I know that we are not the perfect bunch, but give me a damn break, seeing shit like that kinda makes some good motorocyclist loose their nerve, or take just that extra split second to think before reacting, that split second just might make them loose their life.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 4:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
There's a product in Oz call ShuRoo designed for this purpose. Don't know how well it works, there seems to be reasonable comment on line that supports the makers claims.
Made for cars, but I'm sure some clever sole could adapt it to an LT.
If I ever get to do my 'roundOZ trip, I think it will be one of the farkles I invest in.
Do deer speak 'roo?

I think it would only work at the zoo, where they have 'roo; any other thoughts, have you?

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
Well I just don't know what we motorcyclist are suspose to do.
Every where you turn someone is telling you to sell the bikes and leave them alone, now this site.
What if
What if
What if a car was in that exact same place in time that the motorcyclist was.
Would the out come be the same. Would they be putting it up on the web for all to see.
There are several car wrecks each and every day with people killed across this nation but you let one motorcyclist get killed and man oh man it is on each and every news channel in the nation, and at work, did you hear about that motorcyclist getting killed? What is going on here, is it a national movement to get bikes off the road, does everybody not riding a motorcycle hate motorcyclist, are motorcyclist soon to be a thing of the past?
Boat wrecks with people getting killed, jet ski wrecks with people getting killed, I know it happens but where is all of the news and the hype that the motorcyclist has to face? I know that we are not the perfect bunch, but give me a damn break, seeing shit like that kinda makes some good motorocyclist loose their nerve, or take just that extra split second to think before reacting, that split second just might make them loose their life.
All true. People love to emphasize the dangers of motorcycling.

Greg

post #14 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
All true. People love to emphasize the dangers of motorcycling.
I was delivering payroll to a doctor's office last week and the doc looked down her nose at my riding suit and told me motors were dangerous. I asked her if she knew anyone hurt or killed on a bike. She said her brother had gotten hurt on one. I asked her if she knew of anyone hurt or killed in a car. She grew real quiet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:07 pm

My Remus setup is louder than the stock pipes, but hardly enough to notice or raise attention to any body in the vicinity. I cant even hear the bike running if I'm riding with a few of my V-twin buddies with THEIR stock pipes.

Then there is the screaming eagle shotgun drag my dick is so small you need to be annoyed buy my gawdawful sounding excuse for a motorcycle crowd.

Loud pipes are not a freedom of speech issue, they are a motorcycling issue that affects those who ride for pleasure, and not poser lifestyles. They also extremely affect the "non-motorcycling" public, who will eventually succeed in outlawing them not only from their own communities, but every public highway in the CONUS.

Helmets save lives, loud pipes lead to the scene of the accident.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Remus

The Harley boys have just about screwed the pooch here in Denver with their loud pipe crap. The city of Denver recently passed a law that makes anything but factory stock EPA approved pipes illegal. It is no longer a noise thing and the first offense is a fine up to $500.

To put this in perceptive, if it were applied to cars, a Meineke muffler would get you a ticket. While this could make a great test case, someone has to step up and do it. Rumor now is the entire state of Colorado is looking at it.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #17 of 20 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:51 pm

How does gpolakow's thread starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I bought my used 2000LT with a Remus muffler and a Rhine West chip. I have to say, having no basis of camparison to a stock muffler, I like the Remus. I wouldn't mind a quieter ride, but I have come to think (wish?) that the Remus muffler might just create enough warning of my approach as to scare animals away or at least alert them to my approach. Not sure, but I think there is something about the frequency of the sound that catches their attention. Okay. It may be fanciful, but it makes me feel a tad safer out there in bambi land when I ride. One thing seems certain, if they don't hear you coming and there is no warning of your approach, they are more likely to intercede between you and your destination than if they have somewhat of a heads up
result in a reply that includes this

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
Then there is the screaming eagle shotgun drag my dick is so small you need to be annoyed buy my gawdawful sounding excuse for a motorcycle crowd.
Really, there's no excuse for a cheap shot like that!

(p.s. my other bike is a Harley but I don't find comfort in criticizing another person's bike.)

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
How does gpolakow's thread starter

result in a reply that includes this

Really, there's no excuse for a cheap shot like that!

(p.s. my other bike is a Harley but I don't find comfort in criticizing another person's bike.)

Then quote everthing I wrote in the thread, not just what you want to pick out. ( I did refer to the REMUS, then chimed in on the thread drift)

Gotta admire a guy who is so sensitive about junk....

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Loud pipes save lives

Hey, everybody knows doorags with flames save lives. Let's get real.....................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Gold Supporter

I dont know about you guys but I LIKE to hear my pipes on country roads,I ride by sound and the stock pipes are too quite for me, also below 3000rpm Remus is fairly quite unless you want to be annoying to others, I think just common curtesy is keeping the noise down in the CITY is ONE- ((appropriate)), one of my bike friends rides a honda with very load after market pipes and he thought it was funny to blast his pipes in town setting off car alarms and home security system and I told him to not do that and that was a joke to him, so I just choose not to associate with him, TWO- as ((BMW riders)) I believe we should respect others and set a standard for ALL BMW RIDERS ...,matthew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in