Newbie Checking In - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 5:33 am Thread Starter

Newbie Checking In

Hi Guys,

Came across this site through a Google search and promptly joined.

Name this end is Simon. I've been biking now for more years than I care to admit. Currently I am changing from a Ducati ST2 to the BMW K1200LTSE. A bit if a jump, but I see the K as a machine that will last me through until I can no longer get my leg over, so to speak After the test ride, getting back onthe Duke was like getting on a 125!!

I am married (2nd timer) with a teenage son who as yet shows no interest in 2 wheels, but that may change. My wife is doing her DAS and will take her test at the end of August. A shiny new Kawasaki ER-6F will be her first mount.

For myself, I started long ago with a Panther M120 coupled to a busmar double adult chair. What a beastie that was. I spent a long time messing around on 125's for commuting and couldn't be bogthered with anything bigger as it was unnecessary in London. My best friend (still is) and I built Triumphs for his road use and subsequent racing. He and I spent the mid 80's tearing round the UK racing circuits with the Classic Racing Motorcycle Club on an ex-IOM skinny wheeled outfit. Wow that was fun and we were very successful at it too. Happy memories of those days.

When I took my full licence in '86, I graduated to BMW and seemed to stay with the marque as I like the shaft drive (a lot less hassle than a chain). Did all my own spannering as that is half the fun of biking. Lots of touring round europe, rallies and so on. Cpmpleted the ACU/BMF National Rally several times and my wife wants to do it next year too. Lets hope it isn't cancelled due to lack of interest.

Other than Beemers, I have owned a Kawasaki W650 which for an old rocker like me was a trip back in time without the mechanical hassles. However, my wife (GF at the time) called it my "Wallace and Grommit" bike and wanted something a little more exciting. I was considering the K1200LT at the time, but a shiny Ducati ST2 caught my eye and so it came to live with me. Having spent my entire road biking life upright, the sports setting was difficult to get used too. great on the right roads, but commuting in London not so. The strain caused tendonitis in the elbows and wrists, so I didn't ride it as much. With the wife going through DAS I decided it was time to get upright again and as we want to do some touring together, a machine for the job is requried. If I want a spirited ride, then I can always borrow her ER (I hope).

Well thats a quick precis of my biking life thus far. Looking forward to reading more as this site seems to be a mine of useful info.

Cheers for now,

Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 5:44 am

Welcome to the site. Just be careful, it can become addictive.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #3 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 6:16 am

Welcome Simon. Don't be afraid to admit how long you've been riding around here, you're probably a young whipper snapper compared to some of us! Once you get used to the LTs few idiosyncracies, you're going to love her. Just got off of her from the ride to work and man, I wanted to just keep going. It's about 55 degrees F (don't know what that is in Celsius), clear and the sun was just coming up. Was hard to make that last turn to my office.

Enjoy, be happy and ride safe!

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 6:57 am

Welcome

Simon

Welcome to the mad house ;-)) The LT is only my second big bike and I love it to bits. Strangely enough my wife passed her test in March and she has a ER-6F. It is a nice wee bike but a bit small for me, especially as we have lowered the suspension to accomodate her short legs.

Let me know if you head for Scotland and I will put the kettle on.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 7:10 am

Hi Simon, and welcome to the forum, you old git (I can say that, you're 7 months older than me!!). I too went from a ST2 to an LT (thing is, I kept the Duke), and I know exactly what you mean about it feeling like a 125 after the LT.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #6 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 7:44 am

Welcome. You'll be glad you joined this Forum.

The amount of wisdom available will serve you well.

Enjoy that bike!!!

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in