Washed LT, now it won't start... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Washed LT, now it won't start...

Hi all,

I just bought a 2005 BMW K1200LT. It lived in a VERY dusty area at the edge ot the desert and dust was in everything. So I...

Removed all tupperware

Started bike and drove it outside. Then I removed front seat and bolts for front pegs to wash behind them.

Washed bike. I didn't miss a spot - or a wire, which were all covered with dust like everthing else. Also washed back side of chrome peg plates (the shifter side has wiring).

Dried bike with towels. Wanted to put it back in garage to continue detailing.

It wouldn't start. No click, no noise - nothing. Everything on the dash lit up as expected. Gear indicator shows 0.

Also, centerstand won't deploy. Centerstand light flashes, but no noise, no clicks - it doesn't even try to go down.

All other controls on both sides of handlbars work. I know the centerstand button works because of the light, but the button will do nothing else.

This was last night. I'm waiting for everything to dry out.

I just got the Clymer manual the other day and didn't have time to crack it open. I spotted two small boxes full of fuses at the rear of the front seat. I checked some of them and they were OK. It was dry inside the little fuseboxes, but I don't know if these are the main fuse boxes.

Whatever suggestion you have will help. Also, what did I wash that would cause this - next time I'll stay away from it - or waterproof it. I'm concerned that on a long ride with rain, this may happen again, although I know this time it got washed in areas that may never again taste water.

TIA

Mike

Last edited by mrbiker; Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:18 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Check the reverse switch on the side. If it gets out of position...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Check the reverse switch on the side. If it gets out of position...
I took off the reverse knob. When I put it back on, I jiggled it to see if that would help but didn't spend any time with it. I'll try that after work and let you know.

BTW - I'm placing an order with you today... Stuff I can get elsewhere but everyone speaks so highly of you here, I want to give YOU my money

Thanks.

Mike.

post #4 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:27 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks.

Might want to check the starter relay to see if you got any water in there. You may also have gotten water under the strater button and that could be the cause too.

My recommendation: Next time just use one of those high velocity blowers and just blow the dust off, not wash it if you are removing the fairings/body panels.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:31 pm

See what you get for washing an LT...?
These bikes are meant to be ridden, not washed!!
All kidding aside, I think Raffy nailed it with the reverse knob.
Also did you check the kill switch on the right handlebar?
Since you said you removed the tupperware before washing the bike... what is it exactly that you removed? The side panels? Stingray?
Did you wash near the battery connectors?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
See what you get for washing an LT...?
These bikes are meant to be ridden, not washed!!
I got that from reading this forum. I even mentioned it to the previous owner who put 14,000 miles on it in one year. I told him all the people here would think I was wimpy for shining it up!

Quote:
All kidding aside, I think Raffy nailed it with the reverse knob.
Also did you check the kill switch on the right handlebar?
Since you said you removed the tupperware before washing the bike... what is it exactly that you removed? The side panels? Stingray?
Did you wash near the battery connectors?
I'm hoping it may be the reverse knob. It was was tricky to get the knob off and then sticky when I put it back on and jiggled it. I didn't get it into reverse ('cuz it was sticky) so I left it alone.

Yep, checked the kill switch several times.

What did I remove? Evey piece of plastic EXCEPT for the cases (I was saving that for next weekend). I did this to my '02 ZX-12R when I bought it. Took several days to detail it and now it's really easy to keep clean. That's what I was trying to do. There was so much dust, and because it lived in the desert, I figured all the plastic and rubber needs to be treated or it will have a very short life.

Did I wash near the battery connectors? You bet. Near them, on them, around them, up and down them. Pretty much all wires got washed, except I didn't actually take the gas tank off - but a lot of water went down that big hole on top of the tank.

BTW - After having bought a few motorcycles over the years, I've learned to replace the battery first thing - even a fairly new battery because I don't know how it was treated by the previous owner. In this case, he told me it was dead for a year before he charged it to sell me the bike. So I've got a new Odyssey on the way, although I got an email saying Odyssey is behind in production so it's going to be another week before it arrives. In the meantime, it's been on my Battery Tender Power Tender (which is 5 amps) until I started it yesterday. I've found the smaller Battery Tenders don't work as well on the bigger motorcycle batteries.

Another BTW - from reading this board I had the sense to not put the hose in high pressure mode. I used flood mode.

Some great ideas already. I'll check 'em out when I get home tonight.

Thanks.

mike.

Last edited by mrbiker; Aug 13th, 2007 at 2:18 pm.
post #7 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Sounds kind of stupid, but did you wash the bike with the sidestand down ?

Seems like at stuck limit switch somewhere.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #8 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
Sounds kind of stupid, but did you wash the bike with the sidestand down ?

Seems like at stuck limit switch somewhere.
YES I DID! What's a limit switch?

What's the side stand got to do with it? What should I check?

Thanks.

mike

Last edited by mrbiker; Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:16 pm.
post #9 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
YES I DID! What's a limit switch?

Thanks.

mike
It is just a switch that opens an electrical circuit. The only thing it limits is current flow. I think he means in you case it may be limiting the juice going to the starter by some kind of control circuit. But most things are covered above. Good luck.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #10 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Is the side stand still down? electric center stand light flashes rapidly & won't deploy if side stand is down or if you hold front brake to steady bike while trying to deploy it. (you probably know that but may have forgotten, I've done it a few times)

2005 K1200LT (Graphite w/gray)
2007 R1200GSA
1979 Vespa 100
1982 Honda Passport
post #11 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:07 pm
was

Bike will not start with side stand down. No click, no nothing. If you try to start the bike with the side stand up, make sure that the side stand retracts fully, otherwise the ignition kill switch at the top of the sidestand may still be closed.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #12 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Question

Dumb question but worth asking anyway...

Are you sure you were pressing the starter button and not the center stand button? They are close to each other... and since you may still have your side stand down, and even though you are in neutral, the center stand won't deploy as you are are pressing the wrong button so you are just thinking the bike won't crank...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #13 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Exclamation

Actually the bike will start with the side stand down and in neutral. I just went to the garage and tested this theory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by was
Bike will not start with side stand down. No click, no nothing. If you try to start the bike with the side stand up, make sure that the side stand retracts fully, otherwise the ignition kill switch at the top of the sidestand may still be closed.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #14 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Check Immobilizer

I doubt your problem is water...

As already said, center stand won't deploy with sidestand down, brake applied, or bike in gear. Error light will flash, but no deploy.

If all else fails on starting, check to be sure the engine immobilizer is not active... simplest way is to activate the alarm with fob, then deactivate. Immobilizer will be off for 20 seconds (if set to auto-activate). Turn on key and start. DAMHIK

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold
She was a fast machine, She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen -- [ac/dc]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
post #15 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:13 pm

I wonder if it isn't the darn geometry stabilizer solenoid parallelistic sensor acting up...

This would cause a breach of contract between the bike and its owner, and possibly a recall from BMW to install a kick starter.
A simple fix was recommended on the Zacky Farms web site involving sacrificing a young chicken, but many here speculate it is a self-serving advice. In any case I think I'll buy some of their stock (pun intended).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #16 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Gold Supporter

Don't know why it won't start, but I do know the center stand won't deploy unless the bike is running and since you can't get yours to start....

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #17 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Exclamation

Actually you can put the bike on the center stand with the engine off and just the ignition ON.
Sometimes my bike won't go on the center stand when I get home and the temp is very hot. I just turn the engine off and give another try with the engine off and about half the time it works. If I wait a few minutes and let things cool off before I try again then it definitely works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Don't know why it won't start, but I do know the center stand won't deploy unless the bike is running and since you can't get yours to start....

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #18 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Dumb question but worth asking anyway...

Are you sure you were pressing the starter button and not the center stand button? They are close to each other... and since you may still have your side stand down, and even though you are in neutral, the center stand won't deploy as you are are pressing the wrong button so you are just thinking the bike won't crank...
Not dumb at all, and here's why. I'm new at this LT thing so I double checked. Acutally you are right about one thing - sometimes I press the starter button expecting the centerstand to deploy.

Still haven't been to the bike. I will later.

Thanks for suggesting.

mike
post #19 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitejaz
I doubt your problem is water...

As already said, center stand won't deploy with sidestand down, brake applied, or bike in gear. Error light will flash, but no deploy.

If all else fails on starting, check to be sure the engine immobilizer is not active... simplest way is to activate the alarm with fob, then deactivate. Immobilizer will be off for 20 seconds (if set to auto-activate). Turn on key and start. DAMHIK
HOLY MACKERAL! I played around with programming the alarm when I got the bike. Now something arms itself shortly after turning off the bike but I didn't know what because it didn't lock the bike or set the alarm (I always set things to passive arm because that's how I like it). THIS MAY BE IT! I didn't mess with the fob after the wash - just tried to start it.

If this is it - i'm going to laugh myself silly! Like I said, I'm new to the LT, so I'm still figuring lots of stuff out. For example:

First time I remove the plastic from my ZX-12R: 2 hours (which included drawings of where the screws went). Now I can do it on and off in about 15 minutes.

Although the Kawasaki has about 20 screws for all the plastic and the LT has about 60!

I'll try this tonight and let you know.

Thanks.

mike.
post #20 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:37 pm

There is a sequence for changing the arming sequence... It is in the owners manual.. check the "alarm" section of the "additional" information.

If you didn't get it wet.. =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 25 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:46 pm

Thumbs up betcha a cold one

Quote:
Now something arms itself shortly after turning off the bike but I didn't know what because it didn't lock the bike or set the alarm
That single audible alert (and running light flash) 20 seconds after turning off the key is the immobilizer activating... press/hold the right fob button, you should get the same single tone indicating its inactive and the bike will start. (fingers crossed) and be sure to check the other prerequisites

...I went from pure disgust ($20K bike wouldn't start) to a silly grin on my face after messing with the programming on mine. Figured it out JUST before phoning the dealer.... that would'a been embarrassing

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold

Yogi Berra
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:00 am Thread Starter

Talking You All Solved My Problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitejaz
That single audible alert (and running light flash) 20 seconds after turning off the key is the immobilizer activating... press/hold the right fob button, you should get the same single tone indicating its inactive and the bike will start. (fingers crossed) and be sure to check the other prerequisites
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, TOOTS!!!

Just got home (11PM) and had to try all this stuff...

Deactivated alarm from fob (I set it after I pushed it back into the garage - uphill - last night).

IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!

Tried the centerstand - IT WORKS FINE!!!

So I had the immobilizer set to passively arm (that explains the one chirp 20 seconds after I shut the bike off) which makes sense, because if I have a choice, I passively arm things. I was bummed to find out my car didn't offer that feature.

Centerstand? I'm guessing water in the sidestand sensor switch. Just a guess.

HERE'S INFO FOR EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED:

1. The bike starts on the sidestand - in neutral, of course. Then again, what bike doesn't?

2. The centerstand WILL deploy when the bike isn't running and the ignition is on.

I tried several combinations to determine 1 & 2. Keep in mind, mine's a 2005. YMMV.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! Everything suggested gave me ideas.

Got to give credit to: Midnitejaz and zippy_gg. One of you two nailed the answer. I tried both sacrificing a young chicken and deactivating the alarm and one of those worked. Since I didn't have a live young chicken handy (the ones in my yard are all several years old), I ate some El Pollo Loco.

Don't care which solved the problem 'cuz I was full and the bike started. Whenever that's the case, life is good!

Thanks to all.

mike
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 5:58 am

Glad to see you got it going. It took me a while to get the alarm set the way I like on my 05 when I first got it. Had to fine a copy of the programming as it was not with the bike when I bought it used.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #24 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 7:55 am

Quote:
I tried both sacrificing a young chicken and deactivating the alarm and one of those worked. Since I didn't have a live young chicken handy (the ones in my yard are all several years old), I ate some El Pollo Loco.

Don't care which solved the problem 'cuz I was full and the bike started.
yup yup... the best thing about this site is you never stop learnin'

[note to self: remember this chicken thing]

enjoy the ride!

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold

Yogi Berra
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:27 am

Got a t-shirt

Quote:
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, TOOTS!!!

Just got home (11PM) and had to try all this stuff...

Deactivated alarm from fob (I set it after I pushed it back into the garage - uphill - last night).

IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!

Tried the centerstand - IT WORKS FINE!!!

So I had the immobilizer set to passively arm (that explains the one chirp 20 seconds after I shut the bike off) which makes sense, because if I have a choice, I passively arm things. I was bummed to find out my car didn't offer that feature.

Centerstand? I'm guessing water in the sidestand sensor switch. Just a guess.

HERE'S INFO FOR EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED:

1. The bike starts on the sidestand - in neutral, of course. Then again, what bike doesn't?

2. The centerstand WILL deploy when the bike isn't running and the ignition is on.

I tried several combinations to determine 1 & 2. Keep in mind, mine's a 2005. YMMV.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! Everything suggested gave me ideas.

Got to give credit to: Midnitejaz and zippy_gg. One of you two nailed the answer. I tried both sacrificing a young chicken and deactivating the alarm and one of those worked. Since I didn't have a live young chicken handy (the ones in my yard are all several years old), I ate some El Pollo Loco.

Don't care which solved the problem 'cuz I was full and the bike started. Whenever that's the case, life is good!

Thanks to all.

mike
This made me laugh, with you of course. When I first got my LT, it sat for about a week. Attempted to start it and about two very low turn overs, click click and dead battery. I put it on a charger for a few hours etc.......... This was on a Friday. I had to go out of town. Called the wife that Friday and Saturday and ask her to start the LT. Nothing. On Sunday when I got back home I too attempted to start the LT. Nothing. I thought I had burned up the starter as I have read on some post that the starter button will fuse etc........... The dealer opens on Tuesday. On Monday as I about to put the LT on a trailer for Tuesday's ride to the dealer I walk by the LT and in the corner of my eye I see the alarm light flashing. Then it hit me like a ton a bricks. I turned the alarm off and the bike started. I laughed so loud and so happy that this was not going to cost $$$$. Lesson learned. Alarm will default to on when battery is low or dead. Glad your motor started.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in