Brake Light stuck on?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:04 am Thread Starter

Brake Light stuck on??

Hi all,
On my 02 LTC the brake lights randomly "stuck on" for about a half hour while riding Friday night. I am trying to determine if the servo brakes can activate the lights or if it only the switch on the front and rear brake levers.
NOTE: No idiot lights came.

History: I had been riding for about 45 minutes using the cruise control and everything was working fine. Had to stop at a two lane bridge repair to wait for the light to change. Light changed rode slowly through the construction area and then hit resume on the cruise and no response. Tried hitting set with no response. Checked mirrors for traffic and noticed the tail light seemed real bright. Since no traffic I applied the brakes and lights didn't change. Tried lifting on the rear peddle no change. Tried pumping both brakes individually, no change. Noticed while riding that the lights would blink on and off. When off the cruise worked, when on the cruise did not. I suspected a sticky switch but when I pulled the garage everything worked properly.

To for a short test ride Saturday and about 100 mile ride on Sunday with no more failures.

Any suggestions on what may have happened?

Thanks

the confused bigbear

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Red face Picked up a stone?

You might have picked up a stone or other debris that lodged itself against the switches that activate the brake light. This would also cause cruise control to not engage. I've had this happen to me on occassion. Drives you nutz thinking you have a major problem, only to clear by itself.

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:15 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

With the bike off in a quiet place you can hear the micro switches as they activate. Try pressing the foot pedal until you hear the click. There is a round thin metal arm that resides just above the adjusting bolt that activates this switch. Then pull the front lever until you hear the click. If you don't hear a click then push forward on the lever. This one may need adjusting if you have to push forward to get it to shut off.

Remember that if one of the switches is stuck the servos will be running all the time. Best to find it and fix it before it stresses the battery/charging system.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:45 am

And, if all else fails, it's time to make a trip under gas tank land and dig into the "box" for the relay.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

John & Grif,
I guess I should have been more specific. The brake servo was not running just the brake lights. If the brakes would have been randomly applying, it would not have been an enjoyable ride.

Tom,
I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure on these over complicated brakes if there could be other factors to consider.

Thanks all or Ya'all

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ok with that bit of info I vote for a sticking brake light relay. The reason- the switches feed the ABS unit and turn on the servos (the whine you hear) and then the ABS unit provides a ground for the brake light relay to turn on the lights. If you are getting lights and no servo sounds its the relay.

The servos will whine before they apply any brake force and they come on every time a brake switch is opened. Repeat my test with the key on and you will hear them when the switch activates.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Run it off a few curbs and the relay may bust loose.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 5:22 pm

My LT was doing the same thing............................
Then I discovered that when the cruise would not engage (therefore brake light was on) I could nudge the hand brake lever forward while riding and then the cruise would engage (brake light out)
That narrowed the search and a minor adjustment to the switch at the brake lever fixed it..............
Hope yours is as easy....................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 7:14 am Thread Starter

Relay function

Being half deaf and mostly dummmm....
I tried applying the brakes with the key on engine not running. On my bike the brake lights will come on before the servo pump starts whining loud enough for me to hear it. This was true with either the front lever or rear pedal movement.

I tried lifting on the rear pedal and pushing out on the front lever when it was failing with no success. Since it appears to be working now it makes trouble shooting very difficult. Random failures are a PITA...

For the time being I guess I will "Just Ride the Darn Thing"

Appreciate all of the advice and will keep this in mind when and or if it acts up again.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in