Hi guys. I might be coming back - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Hi guys. I might be coming back

Hello Everyone

After a stint of 1 1/2 years riding around on the ruthless K1200S and on the super relaxed (but super buzzyyy) R1200CLC I sold both. Ah but the story gets a little complicated.

About a month or so ago I picked up a machine that I think it has a wonderfull drivetrain, lots of power, fun to ride in the twisties, confortable for me and SO (at least that is what she is saying), a 2003 "fully loaded" ABS Model ST1300. I tell you guys its a very nice bike. 10K miles

But........

The heat, oh the heat. The heat that comes up from the that engine on the sides, under seat, tank, and frame, you can cook a steak on the frame of that bike after 10 minute ride.... I don't think I can live with it. I have installed the Honda Wind Deflectors, wrapped the pipes, nothing nothing is helping.

So wondering from dealership to dealership this weekend I come to my local BMW shop and they have a just traded in 2006 with 6900 miles and ALL the farkles man:

-BMW intercomm (although I forgot to ask if he had the headsets).
GPS Navigator III
BMW Handlebar mounted CB. Which I might take it out and sell it, don't have much use for it.
Passenger arm rests (SO liked it).

So now I itching, I itching to get back into an LT man. I used to have an 02, so there are some nice changes on the 06. The center stand, the steering rake up front. And what hope is a better rear drive bearing.

We will see what happens. I will keep everyone posted. It will be hard to shed the $$$ for the LT over the ST but the payoff might be worth it......

Ciao

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Hello Everyone

After a stint of 1 1/2 years riding around on the ruthless K1200S and on the super relaxed (but super buzzyyy) R1200CLC I sold both. Ah but the story gets a little complicated.

About a month or so ago I picked up a machine that I think it has a wonderfull drivetrain, lots of power, fun to ride in the twisties, confortable for me and SO (at least that is what she is saying), a 2003 "fully loaded" ABS Model ST1300. I tell you guys its a very nice bike. 10K miles

But........

The heat, oh the heat. The heat that comes up from the that engine on the sides, under seat, tank, and frame, you can cook a steak on the frame of that bike after 10 minute ride.... I don't think I can live with it. I have installed the Honda Wind Deflectors, wrapped the pipes, nothing nothing is helping.

So wondering from dealership to dealership this weekend I come to my local BMW shop and they have a just traded in 2006 with 6900 miles and ALL the farkles man:

-BMW intercomm (although I forgot to ask if he had the headsets).
GPS Navigator III
BMW Handlebar mounted CB. Which I might take it out and sell it, don't have much use for it.
Passenger arm rests (SO liked it).

So now I itching, I itching to get back into an LT man. I used to have an 02, so there are some nice changes on the 06. The center stand, the steering rake up front. And what hope is a better rear drive bearing.

We will see what happens. I will keep everyone posted. It will be hard to shed the $$$ for the LT over the ST but the payoff might be worth it......

Ciao

From all I've seen that bike is a flippin' furnace....enjoy your next choice-I don't feel any real heat until its 90+ here in Ohio.

Mike
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

I did it

Pulled the trigger yesterday. I sold my ST to a very nice gentleman, that used to ride a Honda Magna and said he would love to have the ST.

Could not wait went and got the 2006 I mentioned on my previous post.

Took a 100 mile ride this morning and wow, I had forgotten how fun, confortable an LT can be and the extra horses that the 06 has is awsome.....

I used to have an 02 so a few differences.

So far so good, the only thing I miss is a nice toolbag, I guess the later models don't have the nice toolbag we had in 02.

Good to be back. Blue Ridge Parkway to Washington coming up end of September.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 4:00 pm

Dibs on the CB!

Let me know if you decide to sell the CB.

Umm... I mean...
Hello, welcome back to the LT!
spring for the extended warranty. Nice as the bike is I think there's still plenty of problems with the final drives & clutch cylinders.

Rick
'01 LT
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 6:38 pm

Heat management is one of many things that BMW has certainly gotten right! My GT is great and my LT was too! Although I must admit that is has been so hot and HUMID here that riding can be unpleasant at times. Go for it on the LT!

BTW, I had an '01 and test rode an '05...and MAN was the changed steering geometry better! Could turn it in tight quarters a lot better! Welcome back!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Welcome back, I found the ST1300 hot on the test ride I did also.
And yes the tool kit is just a bag with a fuse puller, fuses and helmet wire lock.
I would like to have one of the older ones but I think I can find most stuff in my garage.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in