Scala Rider Teamset - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Scala Rider Teamset

Hi All
Just installed a Scala Rider Teamset to me'nthemissus's helmets connecting my Zumo 500 and cell phone. The system makes the Zumo "come alive" and works like a charm. The stereo headset speakers fit snugly under the helmet lining and the mike dissapears into the front section of the fullface with ease. The clarity of the system in brilliant, even at speed. If you've been thinking about a bluetooth system, look no further than this setup. It's too easy to install - even I could do it!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Allen, have you been on any long trips with the system yet. There was some concern with battery life. I'm very interested in buying the system myself, but from what I hear, the battery life on the box is highly optimistic. What has you experience been regarding battery life?

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:11 am

Quote:
What has you experience been regarding battery life?
I have the same setup with my Zumo 550 and agree with birdman, the scala team set works great! In my opinion it sounds just as good as my autocom for voice conversation. The VOX did take a little getting used to but now that we have used them awhile, no problems.

We used ours on a recent trip to Myrtle Beach (approx. 8 hours with stops) and did not have a problem with the batteries dying. This is using the comm feature only, I have the Zumo give directions through the bike speakers and do not use the headsets for music, on board speakers for that as well.

Even though the set has two speakers, the system does not transmit in true stereo, so some songs sound weird, like parts are missing (due to some instrumentals being separated from L & R). If you use an iPod or the built in MP3 player of the Zumo, you can convert the MP3 into Mono and solve that problem. I imagine the battery life may be shortened if you use the headsets for music, but not sure by how much. I would imagine close to the 7 hour talk time as claimed by the manufacturer.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim

I have the Zumo give directions through the bike speakers and do not use the headsets for music, on board speakers for that as well.
How did you set that up?
I was using the MP3 player in the Zumo with an FM modulator for music and directions through the on board spekers, but I prefer to listen to Satellite Radio. If I could get Sat. and Zumo directions through the speakers that would be cool.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
Allen, have you been on any long trips with the system yet. There was some concern with battery life. I'm very interested in buying the system myself, but from what I hear, the battery life on the box is highly optimistic. What has you experience been regarding battery life?
I'm not Allen, but I have the Rider Team Set & have been on a two week trip with it. Battery life is not a problem. A single transformer with a split cord charges both units as you rest. No need to unbolt from the helmet, the units clip to the mount & slide off in a second when you're charging. I used the Zumo bluetooth feature & the intercom with my wife all day, every day, with a final 825 mile run to the house that took nearly 17 hours. The Team Set was still talkin' when we got home.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
Hi All
Just installed a Scala Rider Teamset to me'nthemissus's helmets connecting my Zumo 500 and cell phone. The system makes the Zumo "come alive" and works like a charm. The stereo headset speakers fit snugly under the helmet lining and the mike dissapears into the front section of the fullface with ease. The clarity of the system in brilliant, even at speed. If you've been thinking about a bluetooth system, look no further than this setup. It's too easy to install - even I could do it!
Can you post something on the functionality of the system with the cell phone connected? My Motorola isn't compatible with the Zumo, but a future phone may be. I know the Zumo commands take precedence over the intercom, but where in the hierarchy does the cell phone fall?

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Quote:
How did you set that up? I was using the MP3 player in the Zumo with an FM modulator for music and directions through the on board spekers, but I prefer to listen to Satellite Radio. If I could get Sat. and Zumo directions through the speakers that would be cool.
Joe,

Hope that helps!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

New Radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
Joe,

Hope that helps!
Hey Joe, I've never seen a radio like that! Mine is a bare face with a slot for the CD - all tuning is done on the dash panel. That AUX jack in the front makes life too easy. Maybe we need to now all change radios!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in