My Bike Tie Down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:36 am Thread Starter

My Bike Tie Down

I built this a year ago to tie down my bike on the Alaska Ferry and it worked like a charm (and a couple of times since) so I thought I would pass it on to the group. Excuse the shabby welding - it was a proto-type after all and scraps of metal I had laying around.
The only thing I would warn about is "cranking" the tie-down ratchets too much as you could bend something. I only had to put a small amount of pressure on and the bike didn't budge. Note that the clamping is done at the curve of the "frame rails" which stops forward and back movement.
Hope this is usefull to some-one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiedown 1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiedown2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiedown3.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiedown4.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	836  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 2:22 am

Would like one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have all the number's for this???????????Look like a winner to me!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:57 am

NICE, very clever. Great lateral thinking!

The LT is one of the hardest bikes I've EVER had to secure on a trailer - it usually takes me at least a half hour, plus eight soft loops and high quality ratchet tie downs to get it to the point that I know it is not going anywhere.

Dress that puppy up with some powder coating, plastic end caps, include two heavy duty ratchet tie downs, a front tire "stop" (for trailering) and give it a name....

There are at least 18,000 LT's out there in the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:26 am

Roy-
Very nice. Put me down for one.
Jim
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:32 am

I like it. It looks perfect for the needs you describe. No getting down on hands and knees for the quick tie down. If you decide to sell these, I'm sure you will get several takers.

When I purchased my bike a couple months ago I brought it home on a standard utility trailer. I did a lot of reading on this site (actually the old one) so I would have the necessary things available to bring it home. I used the recommended BMW procedure using 4 ratchet straps, added a couple short 2x4s screwed to the deck to keep the front wheel from moving, and had no problems with the haul. Since it was my first time it took about 20 minutes before I felt secure, but I think I could do it again in about 5-10 minutes. Here are some links from the old site that discuss the BMW procedure.

http://www.bmwscruz.com/service/index.html then select "Tech Tips" in the last paragraph (couldn't find a direct link that worked).

BMWTieDown.pdf

-jeff

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Smile tie-Down

Encouraging words guys but I don't have the time or facilities to go into production. If any-one out there wants to take a crack at it I would be happy to send them mine as a basic template. hhmmmm - fits right under the "Kontour Seat" would be a good start.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 5:08 pm
Bouncer

This type of tiedown is already produced. It's called the K1200LT Strongback.

http://home.new.rr.com/strongback/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Hi , I made a tie down out of wood something like that . I used a peace of 2x4 , with a couple of eye bolts on the end's to hook the straps in . I cut a peace of 1/2" to go between the frame rales so it won't slide side to side . Then put a couple of short 2x's on top of the frame to get the top 2x4 with the eye bolts in it above the side covers ,then screwed it all together . It work for me . I need some way to tie my bike down when I picked it up after buying it from BMW of Grand Rapids . I when to a friend of mines who rides a K1200LT , and we made it to fit his bike . So when I went to get my bike I was ready to tie it down . I would have liked to road it home , but they had 12" of snow so you got to do what you got to do . I gave the tie down to my friend , as I don't need it anymore . With the Hannigan 2+2 on my LT I only need to keep it from rolling around ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff

And they obviously thought of some things that I didn't - guess my "idea" wasn't very original after all !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in