stingray removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

stingray removal

Hello
I have just bought a sat nav unit and want to wire it straight from the battery. The question is can I remove the stingray without removing the side panels?
Cheers Hovis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis
Hello
I have just bought a sat nav unit and want to wire it straight from the battery. The question is can I remove the stingray without removing the side panels?
Cheers Hovis
No. Both side panels have to be removed so you can remove the stingray. You could remove just the right side and expose everything you need to wire your GPS.

Bruce Hodges
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Stingray removal

Hovis

What Bruce said is correct and i have also heard ofpeople feeding a wire down to the front and back over the engine without removing any tupperware. If you want to take a run up to mine tomorrow I will be happy to give you a hand.

regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

stingray

Hi Graham
Thanks for the offer but I have been at work today and on call till midnight.
Cheers Dave
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Stingray

No problem Dave - I work Monday to Friday so I am available any night after 6 and weekends so just give me a shout if you want to coem up any time.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 10:49 pm

When I first wired up my 2610 I ran the wires above the motor and fished it up under the seat, just make sure its secure and not rubbing on anything and fused near the battery.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Several replies have suggested routing below the gas tank and that is the best way to do it. You may want to know why. Besides being easier because of having less tupperware to deal with, your wiring will also be out of the way for routine service chores that involve removing the gas tank. Things like replacing the air cleaner or getting to some of the electronics. If you run wiring over the tank you will either have to add convenient connectors to allow pulling the wiring off the tank or pull the wires all the way back from either the farkles side or the power side of the wiring.

This may not seem all that big of a deal when you are contemplating putting on your first gizmo. Believe me it turns into a nightmare when you have three, four or more sets of wires to deal with. I completely rewired everything going to the front of the bike when had a third and fourth set of wiring that had to be routed to the front of the bike. Do it right now and save yourself some pain later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 10 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:38 am
egs

While you're at it...

While you're in there, don't forget to clean and (di-electric) grease ALL the electrical connectors. Did mine to fix an intercom problem and now the radio, CD and CB ALL work much better. Clearer audio w/o any static or hiss.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:07 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I just pulled my MotoLite wires through with a coat hanger.

When I witnessed a tear down for weep hole, and clutch, Dave was nice enough to show me what I was looking for to get under the tank and follow that channel.

If you use a wire coat hanger and work it around the right side of the tank, it will come out high and with the wire loom, then I taped the wires on the end from the seat, and pulled it gently through. It might take a few tries and DO NOT force anything. Look up under the cd/glove box from the seat and you will see the channel and where the loom heads off to around the right side.

Now I cant say 100% it is not around the tank, but it sure looked right coming out where it did with the loom, and right against the frame which facilitated my wire tie fetish

That will get you leads to under your dash,fairing, but not sure where, from there. you need to go

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Well I just pulled my MotoLite wires through with a coat hanger.

When I witnessed a tear down for weep hole, and clutch, Dave was nice enough to show me what I was looking for to get under the tank and follow that channel.

If you use a wire coat hanger and work it around the right side of the tank, it will come out high and with the wire loom, then I taped the wires on the end from the seat, and pulled it gently through. It might take a few tries and DO NOT force anything. Look up under the cd/glove box from the seat and you will see the channel and where the loom heads off to around the right side.

Now I cant say 100% it is not around the tank, but it sure looked right coming out where it did with the loom, and right against the frame which facilitated my wire tie fetish

That will get you leads to under your dash,fairing, but not sure where, from there. you need to go
Bravo, Lee! I never attempted the blind pull - due to scope creep, I ended up with the tank off anyway, so I just ran the wires then. Glad you were able to, er...pull it off

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in