Radio Died Again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Radio Died Again

For the second time in 3,000 miles my 2004 K1200LT radio has died totally. The dealer replaced it under warranty the first time not sure if they will this time. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. No complaints about the dealer they have been very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:47 am

Radio malfunctions on an LT????? Never heard a single complaint about that.

Now, for the serious answer. Yes, the radio/stereo system on the LT is a pain for a significant number of riders. Mostly with distortion (bad connectors). But, I have not heard that many complaints about it failing to work period. Do any of the radio/stereo features work or is the whole unit dead?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

The replacement radio is covered with a factory warranty for two years. At least the replacement that was installed on my '02 in 2005 was when it went crapped out in a year and a half.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Re:Radio Died Again

Thanks for the repllies the unit will only power up with no display and will do nothing else. I have even disconnected the battery and left it in that state for over an hour. Well hopefully I will be lucky and get the same warranty for the two year period. Have to wait and see I guess.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Hi Jack,
My radio system quit on me about 50 miles into a 600 mile ride to the great state of WV. Mine would act as if it was powering up then - nothing. I couldn't play CDs or the radio. I got used to the (refreshing) silence pretty quick. When I got back, the Charlotte service guy told me it was toast. Replacement was a whopping $300.00 plus. He just happened to have an old one from a crashed LT that he sold me for $100.00. I had it installed and it's been working fine. Naturally, my bike was out of warranty. I wish I knew more about electronics, I would have torn that baby apart and tried to fix it. Probably costs about 22.50 to fix, who knows..

There is a guy in Morganton NC who sells nothing but used or crash/pirated BMW parts and a lot of folks in these parts use him with good results. If yours is gone, you might want to check into the used market for one.

Good luck with that,

Brian
02 LTC silver
Charlotte

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in