Going to pull the trigger! (maybe, well probably) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Going to pull the trigger! (maybe, well probably)

I've been a lurker for a couple of months but am going to go take a look at a 2005 LT that I found in Cycle Trader. The bike is located in Spokane, WA and the girlfriend and I are driving over to check it out tomorrow. I have a 2002 K1200RS now and am looking forward to the possibility of a new (to me) ride. This site has been very helpful in my decision making. Of course, many of the issues with my ride transfer directly to the LT. I have a slow weep on my rear main engine seal that I am going to try to stretch out until I can come up with the $$ to get it fixed.

Anyway, thanks for all of the info. Wish me luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstines
I've been a lurker for a couple of months but am going to go take a look at a 2005 LT that I found in Cycle Trader. The bike is located in Spokane, WA and the girlfriend and I are driving over to check it out tomorrow. I have a 2002 K1200RS now and am looking forward to the possibility of a new (to me) ride. This site has been very helpful in my decision making. Of course, many of the issues with my ride transfer directly to the LT. I have a slow weep on my rear main engine seal that I am going to try to stretch out until I can come up with the $$ to get it fixed.

John,

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure that you'll love the '05 LT should you purchase it!
Good luck & enjoy the ride!

C. E. Doerr

Blu '02LTC "My Blue Heaven"
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:10 pm

Quote:

If you are saving your money to fix anything---do not by an LT!!!!

Sorry...but true.

Mike

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

oh, I know

Ya, I just got the estimate on the 24K for my RS...shocking actually and I know the LT is about 25% higher. I am actually in denial and have figured out how to "stagger" my services so that I never have ANY money. : )

Like the say Bring More Wampum
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:30 pm
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
If you are saving your money to fix anything---do not by an LT!!!!

Sorry...but true.

Mike
Counterpoint: '99 LT, bought second hand, 68+K on it at this point, never had a major mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, or other problem. Dealer services are very expensive, but with the LT and this site and a manual you can learn to do much of your own wrenching and save a ton of money just on routine maintenance like the 24K your RS will have. Put a chit for the saved money into a jar in your garage; if something major does go wrong with the LT and you can't fix it yourself, reach into the jar and add up what you have saved to date, and I bet it will be darn near the cost to fix the major problem. Then add up the smiles per mile that you and your girlfriend have had riding the LT and I think you'll find that you come out way ahead of any other bike out there. Just my .02.

Oh, and welcome to the site, wherein all things LT are revealed!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Agreed, I have a "99" also and knock on wood never had major problems. Regular maintenance can be done yourself if you have a manual. I've installed all of my own accessories. top case rack, running lights, hyper lights, CB radio, satellite radio, PIAA lights and a trailer hitch. My next purchase is a tire changer it'll cost me half as much if I can change my own tires. You can do it dive in.

Live Free and ride
My Rides
1974 Honda CB360T
1982 Suzuki 750G
1980 Honda Gold Wing
1993 Honda Gold Wing
1995 Harley Road King
1999 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<center>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:09 pm

The Cost of Recreation

BMWs motos seem to be an expensive breed - both in initial cost of purchase and subsequent maintenance/repair. For me, the sport of motorcycling is strictly recreation. No commuter bike desire here. So then, how do you (we) value the Cost of Recreation in the form of motorcycling passion? My good buddy (a former KLT owner) retired today. He knew of my plans to take delivery of a R1200RT tomorrow and sagely advised against such a financial expenditure as I too approach my own retirement (2 years away for me). To each there own decision, but I don't want to have "shoulda-woulda" regrets when I'm unable to enjoy the ride safely.

I ride solo, but if I had a "squeeze" that enjoyed being my pillion, just maybe I would be signing docs tomorrow on a unit such as you are considering!

Jeff

Oday ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay?

2014 R1200RT - full zoot
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:36 am Thread Starter

Did it!

Well, I picked the bike up today. Purchased from a gentleman named Mike in Spokane, WA. I "almost" felt bad when I rode off because he looked a bit down. Any how, looking forward to the experience and once again, thanks to all that responded to my original post. I'm sure that I will have more questions. JS
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 7:01 am

Congrats and enjoy!

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 7:45 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new purchase. My first suggestion is to break down and purchase an extended warranty for your bike. It will cost you up front. But, when the warranty runs out, if you need repair, it will more then pay for itself.

Enjoy your new ride. I have an '03, love it and do not regret it in the 2.5 years that I have owned it. I have had no major problems, purchased an extended warranty for 700.00 which was all inclusive and good until 1/09. So far only used it to resolve a leaky fork seal.. I have put over 27,000 miles on mine and I love it. Ride it as much as I can .... Just starting to wrench. It seems daunting, but I have help.

Again, good luck and enjoy.
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:09 am

My '99 has been very reliable. I have experienced some of the '99 and general LT issues but would still buy another LT without hesitation. I literally have a garage full of BMW's and the LT is my favorite for touring and most other riding as well. It's comfortable, amazingly fast for a beast it's size, handles great at speed and regardless of what you've heard, with a little practice and perhaps some helpful training, low speed handling does not have to be an issue. Come by anytime and I'll show you what's possible.
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:50 am

Quote:
Well, I picked the bike up today. Purchased from a gentleman named Mike in Spokane, WA. I "almost" felt bad when I rode off because he looked a bit down. Any how, looking forward to the experience and once again, thanks to all that responded to my original post. I'm sure that I will have more questions. JS

Congrats and enjoy!!!!
I too, have never had a problem of any kind .....but warranty service is pricey!! WE love our bike and figure we'd spend it elsewhere

MIke
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

thanks

An extended warranty is 1st on my list of priorities, after getting a shorter windshield. I am researching the pinnacle program. Which one do you have for your bike?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in