Dice playing the blues.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Dice playing the blues....

Hello everyone!

I bought and tried to install the DICE iPod car itegration kit (i-BMW-T) today on my 1999 K1200LT. I removed the 6disc CD changer, disconnected the battery, and attached the wiring harnesses to their proper locations. I attached the iPod, Re-connected the battery, and turned the radio on, seet it to CD, and....no music. I then ran it through CD1 to CD6 and saw the message "SEL IPOD". I am assuming that it means 'Select Ipod'. I checked to make sure that the iPod was on - it was not, so I turned it on and reset it as the directions instructed. No luck.

Questions:

1. How do I select iPod on my radio?
2. Has anyone had any problems installing the DICE on a 1999 K1200LT? After purchase, I did see that it recommends K1200LT's that are 2000 and newer.

iPod info: iPod 4GB Nano, purchased last week. Firmware is 1.1.3

Dice is i-BMW-T

Thanks in advance!!

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Try doing a reset on the ipod itself. I think this is done by holding the menu and center button down at the same time for several seconds. It sounds like the Dice did not in initialize when you turned everything on. Did you see the display on the radio say INIT when you first turned it on?

Also the first time I set mine up, nothing happened for quite some time. I was about to give up when it just started playing.

I hope this helps you,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, Ron.

I did try to reset the iPod, but didn't wait too long. I will try again and be more patient!

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile Got it!

Now I just have to figure out the playlists, etc...

Have a good weekend!
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:32 pm

I suspect the '99 not being mentioned is an age issue, they probably didn't specifically test it. The earlier 'Ice' unit worked fine with the '99 ( well, as good as the 'Ice' ever worked). I picked mine up at their office in Long Beach and their tech felt if the Ice worked the Dice should be fine since they are similar units. Unfortunately, mine isn't working yet. I arrived with my radio working fine and am now looking for a new control head (buttons/LCD display). Perhaps a coincidence but I suspect the cable was damaged when the tech used a fair amount of force to get the connector through the grommet in the saddlebag for the CD changer cable. Several components on the control module circuit board near the connector are fried. Sadly, the components aren't identifiable and it would be shear luck to come up with any documentation so I could repair it. I hope to find a good used one but most likely I'll be spending$500.00 for a new one (hope the radio isn't damaged as well). Anyone with a '99 actually get the Dice working?
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
I arrived with my radio working fine and am now looking f control head (buttons/LCD display). I hope to find a good used one but most likely I'll be spending$500.00 for a new one
I just had one from a breakers in England for £50 Sterling plus carriage. I was told that the normal secondhand price is around £80. That is about $16t0 so a considerable difference.

Just pussin' through.
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
I just had one from a breakers in England for £50 Sterling plus carriage. I was told that the normal secondhand price is around £80. That is about $16t0 so a considerable difference.
Sounds like a fair price, now if I could find one.
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 3:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Sounds like a fair price, now if I could find one.
Well if you get stuck. I will see if I can obtain one for you and send it over, provided you will return the compliment when I want something from there.

Let me know in the next week or so as I will be away in France after that up to my ears in paint and rewiring!

(Blatant plug)

Incidentally, anyone travelling through Brittany, France, the house is available for short stays. Pic enclosed.

(/Blatant plug)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2030.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	13675  

Just pussin' through.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 3:47 am

Quote:

Incidentally, anyone travelling through Brittany, France, the house is available for short stays. Pic enclosed.
{BLATANT_HIJACK}
Very nice, where abouts in Britny (!) is it? - we often stay in St. Pabu in NW{/BLATANT_HIJACK}

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 4:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
{BLATANT_HIJACK}
Very nice, where abouts in Britny (!) is it? - we often stay in St. Pabu in NW{/BLATANT_HIJACK}
No connection with Ms Spears.

It is in a village called Illifaut in Brittany. About 45 miles from the port of St. Malo going south. Nearest larger towns Ploermel, Merdrignac and Mauron all id Dept. 22. 30 miles from the capital city of Rennes.

At the moment I am trying to get it finished. The bathroom needs refurbishing and the wiring has to be upgraded. I built all the shutters myself.

Just pussin' through.
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 10:49 am

Quote:
Well if you get stuck. I will see if I can obtain one for you and send it over, provided you will return the compliment when I want something from there.

Let me know in the next week or so as I will be away in France after that up to my ears in paint and rewiring!

(Blatant plug)

(/Blatant plug)
Thanks, I may take you up on that if I don't find one locally soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in