LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Red Line vs BMW Supersyn

Any preferences between Red Line and BMW Supersyn
for the rear end and gearbox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 6:54 pm

As long as the oil meets or exceeds the specs for your motorcycle, as written in your manual, you'll be fine.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 7:52 pm

I think Supersyn is a Mobil1 product name. Are you talking about that product or the BMW synthetic gear lube?

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:13 pm

I see BMW does list a synthetic gear lube as Super Synthetic. This is the only info I can find on it. "Recommended for all BMW motorcycles after 1970.

High performance synthetic provides high load carrying characteristics, minimum foaming, and exceptional resistance to thermal degradation.

Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions."

Plus = stated above
Minus = does not state it is recommended or warranted for extended service interval. Likely formulated by the lowest bidder to make minimal specs. Can't find out basic info like base oils (petroleum synthetic or chemical synthetic), typical properties, MSDS. They don't compare against anyone.

Red Line 75W90 synthetic gear lube.

Plus = Lots of info at http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp . This is a chemical synthetic (polyol ester base). "Allows extended drains in non-warranty vehicles. Redline is well known for making quality synthetic lubricants, leaning more toward racing applications and been in business since 1979. Compares against non-named competitors.

I offer a 3rd choice. Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear 75W90 Extreme Pressure. Lots of data at www.amsoil.com. This is a chemical synthetic (PolyAlphaOlefin). Amsoil specializes in the longest warranted extended drain intervals in and out of factory warranty since 1972. They compare their products against named competitors. They will release a "White Paper" soon, likely comparing against Red Line, BMW and many more in standard ASTM gear lube tests performed by an independent non-profit lubricant research institute. I had tried a BMW synthetic lube in my 137,000 mile K1200LT at the first change interval from the BMW factory oil. Then switched to Amsoil and noticed improved shifting. Kept it in with 24,000-36,000 mile change intervals in the transmission and final drive. No failure with the final drive, but did break a tooth in the transmission at 136,000 miles (covered by extended warranty. It looked like a manufacturing flaw). Transmission showed no wear and was spotless.

Based on the above information, my preference would be Amsoil first, Redline 2nd, BMW 3rd. If anyone has more information, please share.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 8:17 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

All I can add is reading the BMW branded bottles I could not tell what they were. The are labeled made by Spectro (sp).

On my 600 I used 75-90 Amsoil. The 600 does NOT call for trany and FD drain. I chose to have it done. If any two places are going to make shavings it is those two. On a new bike I would not have it any other way.

While I run Amsoil as my preferred synthetic I would guess that Redline would be a good gear synthetic oil also.

Still a lot of debate about synthetic and dino, and what REAL synthetic oil is. I don't know for sure, but for the 8 bucks a quart for Amsoil, probably is close to what BMW charges for their Spectro.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Amsoil White paper on Gear Lubes

The white paper that Tim referred to has been issued. Some very interesting results. Most lubes failed one or more approved industry tests. The 3 petroleum-based lubes fared better than some of the synthetics.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in