An almost cross-Europe trip report (LONG) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

An almost cross-Europe trip report (LONG)

My wife and I decided to visit Europe this year as we hadn't been since '05. Our original planned route took us from Manchester down to Dover, across to Dunkerque, on to Reims, then East, turning South, eventually to arrive at Cannes/Monaco. We had 7 days to do this.
We left Manchester on a fine sunny Monday morning around 0700 for the 6 hour journey to Dover (including breakfast and fuel stops) and made excellent time until we hit the end of the M6 where it meets the M1, i.e. our main route South. The motorway had been closed due to a serious accident, and there were 10 mile tailbacks. We filtered for miles, came off for Coventry, and made a hasty path round that city, rejoining the M1 further South. So far, so lucky! Then we found the London orbital motorway, the M25, was blocked likewise, so we had a heck of a time geting to Dover, but we made it with minutes to spare!.
On to the "wrong" side of the road at Dunkerque, and off to Reims without a further hitch. First day, and 499 miles later, a welcome beer in the Ibis hotel and an early night.Tuesday saw us off to Geneva in Switzerland, which we made in a little over 5 hours. We unpacked our kit at the next Ibis, and walked into town for a nosey round the very expensive shops. The evening provided a fantastic firework display all along the shore of Lake Geneva, and we went to bed tired and happy. Wednesday, and we headed the 75 miles round the lake to the hilltop fort town of Gruyeres, famous for the cheese. In this wonderful town is the HR Giger museum, he being the Swiss artisit who created, amongst many other fine and terrifying works, the entire set and creatures in the "Alien" and "Species" films. This was a highlight for me, as I was captivated by "Alien" on its release in 1979 and have been a fan ever since.
Thursday saw torrential rain, so much so that I had to stop the bike and take shelter from a thunder and lightning storm in Geneva, only 5 minutes after we left the hotel. Unluckily for me, I musn't have zippered up the Rukka jacket properly, and the massive flood found its way in. The 400km to ride to Bregenz in Austria with wet 'bits' was not nice!! The rain did not relent all day, so all in all, a real 'washout' . The evening perked up, and we went to see 'Tosca' performed on a massive stage out on the lake the 'Bodensee' which separates Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This made up for the poor weather earlier, and we slept well that evening.
Friday saw us on the move again, another 500km, this time back in a North Westerly direction. Our initial plan to go south was scuppered by reports of more thunder and lighning for the next few days in our intended destination. We stayed a night in Metz, enjoying a lovely meal and some decent local wine.
Saturday saw us 350km further North, in Amiens. We walked the City in the evening, and watched as the lights came on in the 12th century cathedral. Sunday, and we followed the route of the WW1 battle sites and the many cemetaries and monumnets littered around that area of France collectively known as "The Somme". The weather was beautiful, and very hot.
My Grandfather's Brother lost an arm and an eye on 1st July 1916, so I paid a little tribute to his suffering, and to all his "Pals" who never made it back as I visited the incredible memorial at Thiepval where the 73,000 names of the servicemen whose bodies were never found after the battle of the Somme are engraved on the panels within the immaculately kept monument. A truly saddening and sobering place. Likewise the memorial to the Newfoundlanders a couple of miles away at Beaumont-Hamel.
Monday saw us in the rain again as we headed the final 200 km back to Dunkerque for the 2 hour crossing back to Dover. More accidents and roadworks saw us arrive home at 7.30 pm, 12 hours after setting off from Amiens. In total we covered over 2450 miles/4000km in 7 days. The LT never missed a beat. The trip computer doesn't work, so I roughly worked out I got 45 to the gallon, and she used zero oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dijon for lunch.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	13617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00682 (Large).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	13618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00695 (Large).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	13619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00716 (Large).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	13620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018 (Large).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	13621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Geneva.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	13622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manchester regiment losses.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	13623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newfoundland memorial.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	13624   Click image for larger version

Name:	no parking huh.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	13625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peronne.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	13626  

1999 K1200LT Lux (Twiggy)
1990 XJ600 (about to become the unwilling victim of Uncle Twiggy's venture into welding and cutting class.)
1978 KH400 triple. Environmental disaster, but worth it for the 3 vapour trails in your wake as you scream through the countryside, hanging on for dear life, praying to all that is holy that you don't have to use the single pot caliper up front and the SLS rear!
2008 Harley FXDCi Dyna Super Glide Custom
1990 Yamaha TDR250: "The original Dual Super Moto"

"Only a motorcyclist knows why your dog sticks its head out the car window"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Sounds like a good trip - next time you head to Monaco, try and use the 'Route de Napoleon' from Grenoble to Nice - superb bike road.

Click for piccies

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:43 pm
was

Very nice report and pics. BTW, your '99 looks new. I'm thinking of printing out your report and leaving it around the my wife to see it. We take a trip to Europe every 2 or 3 years, but I have yet to convince her that we would be better off renting an LT than a cage .

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:11 am
BDC

Hi

I did a similar trip in June. Loved Bodensee, stayed in Lindau. Fairytale scenery.

I highly recommend the North Sea Ferry route travelling from Hull. It cuts out all the hassle of riding down to Dover.

You can enjoy a leisurely overnight crossing, a meal and a few beers and wake up raring to go the next morning.

On the return trip you arrive in Hull at approx 8am. Living in Manchester you could be home by 10.

BDC
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC
Hi

I did a similar trip in June. Loved Bodensee, stayed in Lindau. Fairytale scenery.

I highly recommend the North Sea Ferry route travelling from Hull. It cuts out all the hassle of riding down to Dover.

You can enjoy a leisurely overnight crossing, a meal and a few beers and wake up raring to go the next morning.

On the return trip you arrive in Hull at approx 8am. Living in Manchester you could be home by 10.

BDC
Thanks for that, but I do the Hull-Rotterdam crossing about every 6 weeks with work. The advantages are many, but our last minute decision to go would have cost me 250 return plus food for the Hull crossing, so well 0ver 300 for 2 of us. Dover was 51 plus we got 5 of free grub by booking online.. At this late hour, there was no option but to schleppp darn sarf.

Twiggy

1999 K1200LT Lux (Twiggy)
1990 XJ600 (about to become the unwilling victim of Uncle Twiggy's venture into welding and cutting class.)
1978 KH400 triple. Environmental disaster, but worth it for the 3 vapour trails in your wake as you scream through the countryside, hanging on for dear life, praying to all that is holy that you don't have to use the single pot caliper up front and the SLS rear!
2008 Harley FXDCi Dyna Super Glide Custom
1990 Yamaha TDR250: "The original Dual Super Moto"

"Only a motorcyclist knows why your dog sticks its head out the car window"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in