Clutch is slipping...but she's so young! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Clutch is slipping...but she's so young!

Hi all,
My 2003 with 22k on the odo is slipping slightly in first and when I get on it going up hill in 4th and 5th. No obvious signs of leakage or loss of fluid. Also seems to be occuring after things heat up. Don't notice it when I first start out.

Is this the early onset of the dreaded slave cylinder seal etc. ? Are there other possibilities before I bring her to the shop?

Would appreciate any comments...

Thanks,
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:53 pm

It's going away alright, sorry to say, but not much you can do about it but save 'yer pennies (and LOTS of them) and round up the parts. You CAN do this work yourself, and you will find mountains of willing help and information here.

You will know if the slave cylinder is the culprit once you have completed a teardown.

I wouldnt plan many trips on the motorcycle the way it is acting, disintegration will propotionately become more imminent with every mile.

LT's and towtrucks are a missmatch at best.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:57 pm

Bummer Bob, but its not too unusual. There have been posts stating failures after only a few thousand miles. Could be the Slave Cylinder, could be the Rear Main Seal.

I went to Jack's Tech Session in NC last December, when we got to my slave it was leaking, at 48,000. Higher than yours but well under Dave Shealy's 60K predicted failure line. At that time we also found my rear trans output seal leaking into the swingarm and replaced that as well.

If the clutch is not badly contaminated, they can dry out on their own (sometimes!) after the problem is resolved. You might want to start with the SC and see what it looks like. A lot of guys have done it with success and some help from their friends.

Good luck!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Just a thought, but if it is seal related and you are still under extended warranty, it will be covered. If you fix the slave and then the clutch isn't right, it may cause problems getting it covered. I'd pull the Slave and then if it is leaking, put it right back on and have the shop come get it. JM2CW

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:50 pm
was

Classic symptoms of clutch contamination by a fluid. Had you done the Slave Cylinder drain hole drilling? I only ask because I am interested in finding out if someone has drilled the hole but still had a clutch contaminated by DOT4.Best of luck with your repair.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Clutch Slippage

Thanks for the comments. I have not done the slave cylinder drilling and there is no extended warranty. So it looks like I'm on the hook for the repairs. Will ride it until the end of the season and then into the shop she goes. The former head mechanic at the now defunct Garden State BMW has opened up his own shop nearby. He's done work for me before. At least I know the work will be done correctly. I've already printed out the absolutely great set of instructions for slave cylinder drilling, posted here a couple of weeks ago. (Sorry, can't remember the poster's name) I'm a bit concerned about him getting the tranny seal depth correct and will need to discuss it with him. I'll get the 24k done at the same time.

Once again, this board is fantastic.
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Just a thought, but if it is seal related and you are still under extended warranty, it will be covered. If you fix the slave and then the clutch isn't right, it may cause problems getting it covered. I'd pull the Slave and then if it is leaking, put it right back on and have the shop come get it. JM2CW
Not necessarily... many aftermarket warranties do not cover seals. Better read the fine print before you spend your money on the farkles.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
Hi all,
My 2003 with 22k on the odo is slipping slightly in first and when I get on it going up hill in 4th and 5th. No obvious signs of leakage or loss of fluid. Also seems to be occuring after things heat up. Don't notice it when I first start out.

Is this the early onset of the dreaded slave cylinder seal etc. ? Are there other possibilities before I bring her to the shop?

Thanks,
Bob
Lost my clutch to a slave cylinder problem at approximately 1300 miles (last July). Wasn't very happy at the time wondering what I'd gotten myself into. Bike has performed flawlessly in the subsequent 13,000 (knock on wood).

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
Not necessarily... many aftermarket warranties do not cover seals. Better read the fine print before you spend your money on the farkles.
You know, that's a good point. I forgot some of the extendeds don't cover seals or electricals. I got mine through MAX BMW in NH and although it cost a little more, all the big ticket items are covered, ABS, Clutch, Seals, Electrics etc. I'd really recommend spending the extra beans for the better coverage.

Bill, I have the hole drilled in mine. When it goes, I'll let you know how it turns out.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 5:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
Hi all,

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

My 2003 with 24k on the odo had similar symptoms about a month ago. Now she looks like this. I found tranny fluid in the rear swingarm (tranny output seal bad?), tranny fluid in the slave cylinder bore on the output side of the tranny (input seal bad), and a ton of oil in the intermediate housing and all over my clutch parts (rear main seal and/or o-ring bad).

Interesting part was that I was able to keep riding to work every day (70 mi round trip) for 3 weeks, and the clutch wasn't getting worse. It would only slip if I grabbed a lot of throttle going uphill at highway speed in 5th.

I will say that the clutch tear down has been load of fun and very educational. I did a lot of research here before starting the job, and a couple forum members I'd never met came out to help.

I'd be happy to send you my parts list & other research if you're thinking about doing your own work.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in