LT verses GS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:20 am Thread Starter

LT verses GS

I purchased my '99 LT in June of '06 and have put on over 18K in the time since. I love the bike and everything about it. I have always had large bikes (Electra Glide, Gold Wing, '95 K1100LT) so the size of this bike never bothered me. It took a day or two to get used to the differences in balance and handling of the bike, but it soon became second nature.

I have been thinking about getting a second bike for awhile now, and the other day, I test rode an R1200GS. What a bike! I played with the friction zone on the clutch and rode around the parking lot doing slow speed MSF style maneuvers to see how it handled. Of course it was easier than the LT, but not all that much different. However, when I turned out on the street and gave it some gas...well, all I can say is that I'm sure the bike is much easier to steer with the front wheel ON THE GROUND! After a few miles, I got used to it and had a blast.

Then I got back on my LT and almost stalled the thing taking off from the parking lot. I guess that just goes to show you that muscle memory does in fact exist. I think I'd get myself in trouble with a GS. I told the dealer that the bike should come with 5 speeding tickets already filled out, so all you have to do is fill in the date and send 'em in.

There's nothing like my LT, but maybe I'll look into a 650GS as a second bike just to putt around on.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:40 am

If you plan any off road riding, even if just fire roads, the f650 GS makes a nice compliment to the LT. When I owned my 99 LT, I also owned a F650 Dakkar. Good luck.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:16 pm

I've got both the LT & GSA, essentially I ride the GSA 1200 (and the GS 1150 before it) when not two up and if I'm not going out of state. You can't beat the LT for long trips and for two up riding. The Boxers torque off the line and handling is a lot more fun on local commuting. I've done some gravel and jeep trails in the BiG Bend area of Texas on the GSA and if careful you're fine with low tire pressure (20 lbs) . I sold my XR650 3 years ago mostly due to not wanting to take the chances on the trails it would take me on, the GSA keeps me from getting tooo off road for these ole' bones.

2005 K1200LT (Graphite w/gray)
2007 R1200GSA
1979 Vespa 100
1982 Honda Passport

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 5:15 pm

LT & GeeEss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
I purchased my '99 LT in June of '06 and have put on over 18K in the time since. I love the bike and everything about it. I have always had large bikes (Electra Glide, Gold Wing, '95 K1100LT) so the size of this bike never bothered me. It took a day or two to get used to the differences in balance and handling of the bike, but it soon became second nature.

I have been thinking about getting a second bike for awhile now, and the other day, I test rode an R1200GS. What a bike! I played with the friction zone on the clutch and rode around the parking lot doing slow speed MSF style maneuvers to see how it handled. Of course it was easier than the LT, but not all that much different. However, when I turned out on the street and gave it some gas...well, all I can say is that I'm sure the bike is much easier to steer with the front wheel ON THE GROUND! After a few miles, I got used to it and had a blast.

Then I got back on my LT and almost stalled the thing taking off from the parking lot. I guess that just goes to show you that muscle memory does in fact exist. I think I'd get myself in trouble with a GS. I told the dealer that the bike should come with 5 speeding tickets already filled out, so all you have to do is fill in the date and send 'em in.

There's nothing like my LT, but maybe I'll look into a 650GS as a second bike just to putt around on.
My 2006 LT has replaced my Beemer which sits in the garage gathering dust. I use it every day to vist customers, and especially when they're far away. My weekend bike is my new 1200 GS Adv. Two different rides, each one brilliant. I would recommend doing an off road riding course to learn the skills necessary for riding the GS. It's only then that one can really appreciate the bikes capabilities. However, a man ultimately needs three bikes. An LT, a GeeEss and a R1200S (for when the horns come out).

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 10:30 pm

It takes 3

I bought a used 99 LT after many years off, Loved it so much, I bought a new 04 LT after 6 months. Bought a 05 K12s and somld the LT, DUMB, bought a 07 LT (love it more than any before especially the electric center stand). I just bought a salvage R1150GS repaired it and just got back from a 2 day trip to Arkansas. I can definitly say the Boxer is way to much fun in the twisties, but on the strait LONG open runs the LT is the way to go. It was fun on the GS when we stopped for gas (I had to suffer along with 6 harleys) to go through the ditches to the hotel and gas stations. Probably going to trade the 1150 on a 1200 with the traction control.
They are all masterpieces to ride and own.

Milton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in