Gold Wings and LT -- how can I compare? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Gold Wings and LT -- how can I compare?

After dropping the bike three times in a day (low speed/no speed) with the SO on the pillion, I have o persuade her to get back on the bike. (I've described my learning experiences earlier elsewhere on this forum).

The current issue in the debate is this: do Gold Wing riders have the same problem? (Neighbors have a GW and that SO is a happy camper).

I teach medieval literature, and so my Google technique may be deficient, since a quill pen doesn't always get me what I need. But I haven't found a Gold Wing site like the BMW sites I read daily (K11og, K-bikes and this one).

Has anyone seen comments from Gold Wing riders on low speed riding techniques/challenges? If so, please provide a link so that I can help her rationalize the problem...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:20 pm

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php

Goldwings are not drop proof, if you're dropping the L.T. you will drop the wing.
post #3 of 67 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:20 pm

Why dontcha run over to the Honda dealer and ride one? They probably have a used one over there with a few scratches on it that you can drop a time or two.

post #4 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:09 am

My 03 wing was much less top heavy feeling with a passenger than my LT. Other things about it made me sell it.

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
post #5 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E

...if you're dropping the L.T. you will drop the wing.
That's just not true.

As someone who owns both, I can you tell you my Wing has never taken a nap. My LT has "slept" a number of times.

Is the Wing "drop proof"? Of course not - no bike is. But it's CG is much lower.

Does that make the Wing a better bike? Also, of course not. They are just simply, different.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 7:49 am

Cool no comparison

Wing=ugly
LT=aerodynamically beautiful

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #7 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:11 am

Try taking the Experienced Rider Course offered by an MFS school in your area or seek out and sign up for an alternative course that teaches slow ride techniques. Even if you ultimately switch to a GW the experience will give you new confidence and improve your skill level.

As far as LT vs GW, if your going to do most of your riding on city streets, parking lots, and super slab then the GW is a fine bike. On the other hand, if you desire to go play in Hill Country or head north to the mountains then the Lt is a far better mount. Yes the GW is somewhat easier to handle during slow speed maneuvering but with a little effort and practice the LT can compete equally well in that area. I put about 250,000 miles on a total of three GW's prior to getting my 1st Lt in 1999. I now have an '05 Lt and have a combined mileage of 240,000 on the Beemers and never looked back.

What ever you decide, ride safe and keep the chrome side up!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:21 am

My advice is to practice on the LT more. I've been fortunate so far. Had a few close calls when I first got it. But none yet with the wife on board that really scared me. It's no the bike, really. It responds to your imputs, which cause it to fall over if they aren't correct for that bike. Yes it is different from other bikes, but all bikes require a learning curve. I read your other thread. My suggestion would be more practice time one up, before selling the LT or changing to a Wing. the wing is just as heavy and sounds like you need more practice. Just my opinion. Maybe run that LT thru an advanced course as you did the 11.

Tell the wife you need more practice and don't stirke out on a 2 up trip until you are very confident in your own ability to handle the LT or any other bike alone.

I can't stress enough how important regular PRACTICE is for motorcyclists. that means going out and finding a place to start/stop a lot. Or make U turns or whatever. Pick one skill and work on it for a month. Really concentrate on that skill every time you ride. Ride often. I have ridden 6K miles since I got mine, in a year. On a bike that had barely more than that in it's first three years with prev owner. He said he wasn't really comfortable with the LT. Gee, wonder why?

I ride nowhere near as much as many on this board. If you don't/can't give it the time to get better, it never gets better. IMO, a Wing is going to be just as likely to go down.

just my thoughts on this, brought on by a rash of stories on here and seeing riders with poor skills (not that you have poor skills) on the road of late.

Randy

Last edited by rando; Aug 10th, 2007 at 8:26 am.
post #9 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleman
That's just not true.

As someone who owns both, I can you tell you my Wing has never taken a nap. My LT has "slept" a number of times.

Is the Wing "drop proof"? Of course not - no bike is. But it's CG is much lower.

Does that make the Wing a better bike? Also, of course not. They are just simply, different.

I had one the same color as yours & now have a LT the same coloras yours. The wing was less top heavy, true but, the only time I could tell is if I was standing still & leaning it over. It made no difference to me when riding. With any bike, you lean it over to far when not moving, it doesn't matter how big & strong you are, it's going down.
post #10 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:45 am

http://www.motorradonline.de/verglei...rer.198514.htm

The web page is just comparing the lookings of details. Just a reference!

Regards,
Yokomizo

Koichi Yokomizo
--------
Yokohama, Japan
'00 K1200LT, Canyon Red
post #11 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:30 am

Quote:
I had one the same color as yours & now have a LT the same coloras yours. The wing was less top heavy, true but, the only time I could tell is if I was standing still & leaning it over. It made no difference to me when riding. With any bike, you lean it over to far when not moving, it doesn't matter how big & strong you are, it's going down.
You are correct that if you use bad technique, any bike will go down.

However, all else being equal, in slow and no speed situations (which was the issue the original poster was asking about), the Wing is more forgiving. I have had to stop unexpectedly with the bars turned on both bikes. With the Wing, no drama. With the LT, either a close call or a bike nap.

Now obviously, we all know that best technique is for you to always have the bars straight when stopping, but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

Above 5 mph, it doesn't matter anymore. The LT sheds it's slow speed difficulties and is a dream ride.

Regards,

Joe

Recovering Harley Rider

post #12 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:42 am

Wing vs LT

I had a wing back in the 80's and then got away from riding. Bought a 07 LT this year and have put 8,000 miles on in about 6 months including a trip to Canada. The LT is top heavy. I've found that you need to plan your turns so that you can keep a little momentum going so that the bike does not heel over when turning slow. I have had to stop quickly w/ the front tire turned. You have to get a foot down and start to get the bike upright early on or you have to take the weight on your leg. As to two up riding I have done a few trips w/ a partner and found the LT to be a great two up bike but still subject to the low speed concerns. I agree with a previous post, you need to practice slow speed turning in a parking lot by yourself before riding with a passenger. All bikes have their quirks, the LTs are no different in that respect but I have found the bike to be a real kick in the pants on scenic roads with a turn or two and it seems to just love to cruise at 80-90.
post #13 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:10 am

You must be vertically challanged. I put a lot of miles on a GL1500, and Valk w/o a problem - I still have a Valk (much to the frustration of my SO). When the new GL1800 came out, my dealer (who knows me very well) asked me to come in and put a couple of hundred miles on one. I could not do it. It felt like I was riding a mini-bike - perched on top. No leg room, towering over the windshield, pushed too far forward, etc.. To me, the GL18 is neither comfortable nor safe for/to me.

When I returned the bike with my comments, I was told that all my issues could be fixed with a new (aftermarket) seat and set of bars for only $2,800.

I don't feel that one should buy a $20K+ Touring bike and be required to add $3K before you ride off. Changing items by choice is another issue. Just my $0.02
post #14 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:36 pm
jac

I almost have the same thought with you. I dropped my bike in the dealer’s parking lot. I was dropped several times after that. I almost give up and try to move to different bike. But meanwhile I learned from this site to do low speed practice. – keep hand bar straight, head up and left foot touch ground. After that I never drop my bike.

Jack Z
DeMarest, New Jersey

1999 BMW K1200LTC
1981 Kawasaki GTO125
1979 Suzuki A100
post #15 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:33 pm

I had an 01 Wing and I thought it was a great bike,handled great,had power and to me it looked nice especially in the illusion blue I had.For a comparison between the Lt and the Gl1800 I can refer to a ride we did from Co. west up the coast into Canada with 2 Wings an I think it was an 01 LT. Power and torque the GL rules. Brakes even,handling slight advantage to the LT because of cornering clearence. Luggage the Wing especially if the LT has the CD player in it.Cockpit/windshield goes to the LT. Low speed handling the Wing gets the nod. Accessories/ease of hooking up mp3's etc. the Wing wins. Mileage slight advantage to the LT. 2 up the SO thinks she's more comfy in the Wing. I'm 6'2" 220lbs and I did not think the Wing was crowded especially with a good set of highway pegs..Basically it's a toss up on what you would want between the 2 bikes. It will probably come down to which one fits you the best and the one that you can handle the best.
post #16 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 1:41 pm

A dropped Gold wing is not a very pretty sight....teddy bears scattered all over the place...

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #17 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
A dropped Gold wing is not a very pretty sight....teddy bears scattered all over the place...

Not many LTs around here. When ever I stop when out riding someone always comes up to talk about the bike. I had a couple of Wing riders ask about getting it back up when dropped. Knock on wood it has not happened to me YET. These guys said the could not get their wings back up by themselves. I am 5'6" 220 lbs and have had some exciting monents when riding 2 up and had to stop with wheel turned. You just have to be ready at all times when moving slow. I did test ride both bikes before I bought the LT. The seat on the wing and center of gravity is a bit lower but it does go down as mentioned above. Mine you I was riding a 1984 Yamaha Venture before this so I have some experience with this type of bike at slow speeds.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #18 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 4:25 pm

I have a lot of friends who ride wings and I have never seen them wobble or fall. I have ridden a couple of wings, a 98 and an 04 and I could handle the 98, but the seat on the 04 was not made for a 5' 8" guy like me. I felt the handling was great on both, even at slow speeds, but the seat on the 04 made me go so far forward at stops that to touch ground I had to be too far forward to be comfortable. Someone else posted about the cost of the after market seat replacement, and I agree, shouldn't have to pay extra out the door to have a bike "fit".

The LT fits me perfect, and the only time I have a handling issue is when the passenger floorboards are down. When I am by myself without the passenger floorboards down, I usually handle this thing as if I were on my crotch rocket, but with slower take offs. Slow maneuvering is a breeze. With the passenger boards down, I am limited on where I can place my feet forward/aft of center and it really trips me up. I am getting better, but my wife may have to back to stock pegs if I can't overcome the boards.

The GL is awesome, not doubt, but it didn't fit me. The LT fits just fine and I like the added features you will have to pay extra for on the GL. My $.02

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #19 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

The discussion was helpful.

I've been doing drills, solo, on the LT in light of the information I found scattered around this site. The bike is a keeper; my challenge is to get the SO confident enough to enjoy riding again.

I've gotten the impressionistic answer from the replies so far: this site offers good data (76% of over 300 respondents have done a no speed/low speed drop) but the same kind of hard data doesn't seem readily accessible for Gold Wing riders, though what folks have said suggests that the problem isn't as acute with that bike.

No big deal: I was simply hoping to tell the SO that this is not a problem with me or with the LT but simply with 800 lb. bikes and inexperienced riders.

But we'll do a trip on Sunday--just a four hour one--and we'll see how it works out. I was so excited when I got the bike just as I was giving up one of my two jobs (retiring from the Army Reserve) and would finally have the time to do some serious riding with her.
post #20 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Ride by yourself for a while

I'm not sure of your experience, but if you are not YET comfortable by your self, you are not ready for a passenger. You WILL get comfortable, but it takes everyone a different amount of time and miles.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

A big jump

I've been riding since the 70's: my primary bike from 1989-2001 was a Suzuki GS1000S; then I purchased a K11LT in Seattle and rode it--irregularly but confidently--until I purchased the K12 this spring. The SO and I had good long rides around Washington state on the K11 without problems; I have walked I-5 for countless miles between Discovery Park and Marysville (or scouted for black ice at 5am in December).

I just got overconfident when purchasing the K12; I didn't know/hadn't seen the weight differential between the K11 and the K12. That overconfidence led to the three drops right after picking up the bike in May.

NOW, the challenge is to get the SO confident in me and the bike so that I can enjoy the free time I now have--with her and on the bike.
post #22 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwad
The LT fits me perfect, and the only time I have a handling issue is when the passenger floorboards are down. I am getting better, but my wife may have to back to stock pegs if I can't overcome the boards.
I agree with the floor boards. It is mosty a problem when I try and backup the bike. I rarely use the reverse. But before you make your wife go back to the pegs maybe she can just put them up whenever she dismounts. My wife does not mind doing that at all. And I will let her get of before I back into a parking spot and she will wait until I back out if I drive in before she gets on.

Manny

Need to stay awake

post #23 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Easy.

Beemers Lean.

Goldwings don't.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #24 of 67 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
You must be vertically challanged. I put a lot of miles on a GL1500, and Valk w/o a problem - I still have a Valk (much to the frustration of my SO). When the new GL1800 came out, my dealer (who knows me very well) asked me to come in and put a couple of hundred miles on one. I could not do it. It felt like I was riding a mini-bike - perched on top. No leg room, towering over the windshield, pushed too far forward, etc.. To me, the GL18 is neither comfortable nor safe for/to me.

When I returned the bike with my comments, I was told that all my issues could be fixed with a new (aftermarket) seat and set of bars for only $2,800.

I don't feel that one should buy a $20K+ Touring bike and be required to add $3K before you ride off. Changing items by choice is another issue. Just my $0.02
You nailed it! That's why I got rid of mine!
post #25 of 67 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Easy.

Beemers Lean.

Goldwings don't.
That's the kind of foundationless nonsense that makes us all look bad. I have ridden heavy twisties on both my LT and Wing. They both perform spectacularly - if very different.

People that make such comments typically couldn't lean a Ninja 250.

Recovering Harley Rider

post #26 of 67 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Quote:
That's the kind of foundationless nonsense that makes us all look bad. I have ridden heavy twisties on both my LT and Wing. They both perform spectacularly - if very different.

My bro Phil and I, each on LTs, have a dickens of a time keepin' up with leetle bro Greg on his Goldwing - he can flat make that thang dance in the twisties of Nawthurn' AR and Suthurn MO. I don't know where he gits any practice in, cuz he lives in the flatlands of mid-KS. Guess he runs 'squares' in them 1-mile, corner-to-corner sections!! Butt, he's really good in the Ozarks!!
post #27 of 67 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:35 pm

Just different!

I have ridden Wings and LTs both alone and 2 up. My SO outweighs me by 60 lbs so riding 2 up takes a bit of attention no matter which bike we are on. The wing is a bit lower CG but still gets up and runs when asked. It will take the corners 'til things drag just like the LT, the difference to me is that the LT makes it a lot more smoothly. The Wing is less forgiving to me. At low speeds the situation is reversed. The LT makes sure you pay attention in low speed corners and off camber stops. The Wing will allow you a bit more latitude. Both bikes are slaves to the laws of physics.
I ride 30 -40 thousand miles a year so I imagine the key to confidence, as others have stated, practice, practice , practice.
No drops....yet.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA
post #28 of 67 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Followup

The SO agreed to try again, so on Sunday we took a relatively short ride (75 miles) on a route with varying conditions, accompanied by our neighbors on their 1800 Goldwing.

All went as well as could be expected: the SO (having spent 2200 miles in a trail vehicle with an MSF instructor watching how I rode --by myself--to El Paso after I'd dropped her repeatedly in Washington state) was very analytic (and uncompromising) about my technique, but she's now willing to ride some more (as long as I will take criticism).

Sometimes I feel like a guy who cheated on his spouse and now has to prove himself to be trustworthy...
post #29 of 67 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:14 pm

A great ride!

I rode Gold Wings for over 25 years and those were so happy. The bike seemed to do everything I asked.
Three years ago I decided to try the K1200LT. I found it to be a nice bike, very comfortable. When I was driving down the freeway and the truck lost it's load right in front of me was wehn I found out the kind of superior performance the BMW had. I missed the load of sheet metal by hitting the gas and maneuvering around the flying debris.
I could never have done that on my Goldwings!
If you're looking for comfort on the freeway then the Goldwing is for you. If you want to maneuver on back roads then the BMW is the perfect bike. It moves with you as if it wants to please you and the power you have at your disposal seems to be unlimited.
In a tough situation I want a BMW under me!
Good luck, both bikes are good for specific types of riding.
post #30 of 67 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 6:55 am

Hang in there and be patient with the criticism from your SO. I give her a lot of credit for being willing to hop back on after 4 get offs. It takes a bunch of trust in someone, IMHO, to ride pillion to begin with. I've done it a few times and really hate it.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #31 of 67 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:30 am

After reading all the post I think Bob Stewart said it best

If you're looking for comfort on the freeway then the Goldwing is for you. If you want to maneuver on back roads then the BMW is the perfect bike. It moves with you as if it wants to please you and the power you have at your disposal seems to be unlimited.

That statement is what I tell guys that ask me why I chose the LT over the wing.

VanO
post #32 of 67 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano
After reading all the post I think Bob Stewart said it best

That statement is what I tell guys that ask me why I chose the LT over the wing.

VanO
That's the part in all of this I don't get. I own both an '06 Wing and an '06 LT. Power? The LT and the Wing have virtually identical HP, and the Wing much more Torque.

In an emergency situation, where you don't have time to downshift but just grab the throttle, the Wing's torque is much more likely to provide a quick and powerful response - unless you have the LT wound up in the 6-7k range - where the HP curves are pretty even.

Now if you are talking just emergency handlling, then I agree. The LT feels more nimble for quick maneuvers - although some of the discussions here would have you thinking the Wing was a U-Boat when that's just not the case. At no point do I feel less safe on the Wing than the LT.

Going back to the thread creator's initial post, my wife much prefers riding pillion on the Wing. This is due to many reasons - most likely due to the fact that I ride the LT in a more spirited way - making her feel unsafe. Also, as a 29" inseam man, stops and slow maneuvers on the Wing have less drama, causing her less Angina.

Recovering Harley Rider

Last edited by bibleman; Aug 15th, 2007 at 7:58 am.
post #33 of 67 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Quote:
...my wife much prefers riding pillion on the Wing. This is due to many reasons - most likely due to the fact that I ride the LT in a more spirited way - making her feel unsafe.
Quite true. If your passenger doesn't want/like spirited riding and carving corners, then putting him/her on the back of a bike that elicits that type of riding from you is not going to turn out well for them, no matter how comfortable the back saddle is.

Quote:

Right on! The videographer who used to offer taping of your run on the Dragon is proof of that. Just cause the majority of GW owners don't often burn up the canyons, doesn't mean the bike isn't capable of it. I've been behind a Harley rider or two that made me rethink how well a hog could perform in the curves. It ain't the meat, its the motion.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #34 of 67 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Your SO will usuall like or hate whatever you like or hate. My SO rode on my GL15 wing once, Valk twice, V-rod twice (looks too nice to avoid), and says the GL18 looks like a truck. However, she's on the K whenever I offer....

But I never dropped any of them...
post #35 of 67 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 8:48 pm

[QUOTE=bibleman]That's the part in all of this I don't get. I own both an '06 Wing and an '06 LT. Power? The LT and the Wing have virtually identical HP, and the Wing much more Torque.QUOTE]

I agree as I test rode both before I got the LT. I think they are refering to the older wings. I have talked with wing riders who have rode 1100, 1200, 1500, and the 1800. They say the 1800 is light years ahead of the 1500.

Manny

Need to stay awake

post #36 of 67 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
Right on! The videographer who used to offer taping of your run on the Dragon is proof of that. Just cause the majority of GW owners don't often burn up the canyons, doesn't mean the bike isn't capable of it. I've been behind a Harley rider or two that made me rethink how well a hog could perform in the curves. It ain't the meat, its the motion.
You speak of Yellow Wolf, who unfortunately doesn't do the Video thing at the Gap anymore. We have to settle for still pics from Killboy (which are pretty nice).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ...elated&search=

The Chase Bike was also a Wing.

Now, obviously, an LT could also have performed at least as well. It ain't the bike - it's the rider.

Recovering Harley Rider

post #37 of 67 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 9:53 pm

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/200410-GLvsLT.pdf

Excellent article on comparing the two platforms. It does not appear to be marred by manufacturer financial influence on the author as so many other articles are.

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
post #38 of 67 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Ride Like A Pro

Had your problem once, never again. Go to the site, buy the DVD, practice the lessons in it, never drop your ride again at slow speed, no matter the size.
www.RideLikeAPro.com

2ndChance
K1200GT Red

post #39 of 67 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:13 am

ME too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor

That was one of reason also for me. In fact I had an upholstery shop and had the little back rest removed. It was pushing me forward for a great $$$ wedgy.

I also did not like the heat from the engine and the windshield, which would not allow air movement. In the Florida summer it was pure hot.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #40 of 67 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 8:20 am

Quote:

Goldwings are not drop proof, if you're dropping the L.T. you will drop the wing.

I absolutely DO NOT agree with that statement. IF he has a short inseam, maybe, but the Goldwing is far easier to navigate at slow or no speed than the LT. The LT actually sits lower to the ground (clearance) that the Harly EG or Goldwing, but its center of gravity is out there in space. I loved my LT, but after a full day of riding was very respectfull of it, as being fatigued and stopping could become a challenge. The only time my LT touched the ground was after the bike rolled off an improperly deployed kickstand in my garage. There were however dozens of times that I almsot lost it, some with my S/O on the rear. As stated, usually at the end of a long day of riding.

Never had thses issues with a Wing or my Ultra. IMO, the high center of gravity on the LT is its ONLY drawback. I doubt BMW will change it anytime soon, even with the new LT, as high center of gravity is prevelant on all models...except maybe the discontinued R1200C's.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #41 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 9:57 am

I owned a 2004 GL1800 and now own a 2005 LT.

I dropped the GL1800 once, in 2004, in a slow speed uphill maneuver entering a parking lot. I immediatly got up and began ranting about the GL1800's handling characteristics.

My SO immediatly got up and pointed out the obvious fact that the driver controls the motorcycle, not the other way around. It's NEVER the motorcycle's fault that it tipped over. It doesn't drive itself.

I bought books and DVDs and spend time in parking lots at the beginning of every riding season practicing my slow speed motorcycling skills. I have not dropped a motorcycle since.

The moral: Keep your riding skills proficient and you won't drop your bike.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #42 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwad
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/200410-GLvsLT.pdf

Excellent article on comparing the two platforms. It does not appear to be marred by manufacturer financial influence on the author as so many other articles are.
That article goes back to '04, and I haven't ridden either an '04 Wing or LT.

With my '06's, however, I would dispute only the following issue:

MCN had the Wing's brakes over the LT's. Not my '06's. The LT will make you kiss the windshield if you arent careful. The Wing's brakes are very good, but LT's are far superior.

Recovering Harley Rider

post #43 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:27 am

Quote:
MCN had the Wing's brakes over the LT's. Not my '06's. The LT will make you kiss the windshield if you arent careful. The Wing's brakes are very good, but LT's are far superior.
I think that is the reason they rated the Wing better. The Wing's brakes are more progressive and intuitive, making you a little less likely to actually kiss the windshield....unintentionally. However I do agree that the LT will get you stopped quicker if that is the only consideration.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #44 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:16 pm

We got the 1800 after the wife did the back seat test. I am very happy with it. It handles very well, and all the features are built in such as Nav, Heated seats and grips, intercom, radio etc. The lighting is excellent. We had an 84 Aspencade back in the day, and the 1800 is light years ahead of it.

Someone pointed out that the stock seat leaves much to be desired, which was cured by a trip to Russell in Mt Shasta. Many of the Beemer owners I know have Rick Mayer seats on theirs so the stock LT seats may be an issue as well.

I have never heard of a final drive failure on a Wing.

That being said, I would have bought the LT had the wife blessed the pillion on it.

I think they are both fine motorcycles.

We could easily solve this dilemma I think by trading all the LT's and Wings in for Victory Visions.

Just Kidding!

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #45 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 12:42 pm

You need less skill to ride a wing in slow maneuvres, but you still need skill. Take a course. Go to a parking lot with some cones and practise low speed turns and stops. Practice on a lighter bike until you get your confidence up. Whatever it takes to improve your basic abilities. If at that point, you still can't handle the bike, trade it in on a wing or something lighter like an ST1300 or K1200GT.
post #46 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Slow speed turns.

The wing is heavy at low speed especially when you have a incline which lips backs towards you. Same situation with the R1200GS and you and riding (SLOW) you are going to more than drop it, it is going to fall on you and stomp you butt.

It is riding skills which will get out out of trouble with any of these bikes.

As far as the wing stopping and going better there is no contest...
Take on any of you with that with an 07 wing...It will kick you ass if you really know how to ride.

R1200GS
2007 Goldwing
post #47 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by advriderga
Take on any of you with that with an 07 wing...It will kick you ass if you really know how to ride.
Nothing gained by that statement. This had been a fairly reasonable and factual discussion of the two bikes. It was refreshing....until now.

Recovering Harley Rider

post #48 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 2:22 pm

He was stirring the pot on the last Gold Wing vs. LT thread

Me thinks he is a troll.

GolfGuy

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #49 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Smile Gw Vs Lt

I saw that Deals Gap footage with the fellow on the GW and quit talking about the LT being so much better until I see one take the gap like the GW. I know the rider must be use to the Gap but it still took a good bike to do what he did. I'd like to see him do that on a LT for sure. And even then it really does all boil down to your style of riding and what you want your bike to do, one thing I will say is that the LT is the most beautiful streamline luxury tourer there is, the fit and finish is superior in my opinion as well.
post #50 of 67 Old Dec 28th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Larry,
Many opinions have been expressed here, the final choice of motorcycle is personal but as others have suggested it is likely the Wing will take a nap too if you do not learn something about slow riding techniques. I have been on motorcycles of one brand or another for 49 years now and have spent the last decade or maybe a little more riding large touring bikes, I have had several Wings (1200, 1500, 1800) as well as now my second LT. The LT is my personal choice and I like it much better than any of the Wings I have owned in the past but that is me. The important thing here is for you to get into a training course that teaches the type of slow speed handling that is taught to motor officers, that training is invaluable, once you complete that course you will find your approach to riding your motorcycle, whatever brand you choose, different it will improve your confindence and ability. The video's marketed under the name "Ride Like a Pro" demonstrate those techniques but actually practicing them in a group setting is what will make the difference. I ride with a group of friends here in Florida that have ridden together for years during that time everyone has progressed from cruisers in the 650cc range up to mostly Harley Ultra Classics, about a year ago I began seeing the telltale signs that folks were getting lax we had two riders go off the road and fall down another locked up the rear brake because he approached a traffic light and did not see that the person in front of him had anchored down to stop in a hurry he had a fishtail slide side to side episode that ended without an accident but it was scary.
Shortly after that I contacted our own Motorman587 about a safety course which ultimately did not happen but the president of our club took the time to become an instructor and we now have a skills day scheduled every other month for our group. The increased awareness and confidence among our riders has changed dramatically and our group rides are so much better.
Please find someone near you giving this training and join in, if at first you don't feel comfortable on the LT then either borrow or rent something a little smaller to start with but once you have practiced the technique's a little you will find that whatever you get on will be much easier to handle in these situations, maybe not the first time but certainly after a little practice take a lawn chair along and let your spouse watch you put your bike through it's paces and I'm betting her confidence in you will be back!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in