You can tell by the username I'm just looking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:29 am Thread Starter

You can tell by the username I'm just looking

I do have some questions. (I know if I took the effort I'm sure the answers are available with a little searching.)
#1 There has not been a dealer in St Louis for a while, I'd like to ride a LT to see if I fit. Is there anyone in St Louis that would let me take a LT around the block. (I have a cruiser Honda VTX 1800R we'll swap for a mile or two.)
#2 I'm 6'5" I put forwards on my VTX and its comfortable, how is the LT for tall guys?
#3 I would have thought the resale would remain a little higher. (the VTX drops pretty quickly too.) I missed one on ebay the other day that went for $6,500 (99 LT w 50k mi) Is there a reason for less than stellar resale?
#4 I read the thread on poor handling at low speeds etc. That's how my 1800R is, so I'm not thinking it will be a big adjustment.
#5 What are rough PM costs yearly putting on 15,000 mi?
Thanks,
Jeff

By the way the reason I'm looking at the LT: I mostly ride 1 up, but have the long distance bug. I took my VTX from St Louis to & thru the Smokies this spring. Then I did a SS1000 in June (I was the only guy on a cruiser) I have a trip planned for Labor Day (solo) out to Yellowstone and beyond I want something a little more "long drive" friendly. I "think" the LT fits the bill.
This looks like a great site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:24 am

Hey Dude,

I too am 6'5" and I weigh about 230 (naked and empty). The LT is a road eating monster. The only way you know you're covering miles is the radio stations keep fading out and after about 16 hours the sun goes down.

Yes, it's a chore in the parking lots and gas stations. The best protection against drops in public places is anticipation. She's very top-heavy which is only noticable in slow moving environments. Hit the brakes a low speed with the bike leaned over and you'll get to test your skills at single-handedly picking up an eight hundred and fifty pound Luxo-Tourer.

Once she's rolling, she blows down the road like a cloud of smoke...effortless!Plus, you can hang with the Gixxers in the twisties. It looks a little incongruous riding one up (something like a Chihuahua trying to hump a Great Dane) but it's still better looking than a Goldwhale. Please don't wear a 3/4 helment with a big wind sock on a boom microphone.

Sorry, I can't speak to the questions about resale value and average yearly expenses. I have an '02 LTC with only 18K miles on it. I have six offices to attend, share the riding duties with a K12S and can only ride on weekends when my wife and four children don't have other plans in place for me. I take the bikes to the dealer for all their services and try hard not to flinch when the payment is due.

Basically, what I'm saying is the LT will be a good fit for a large person with a large desire to ride. A few quirks but nothing serious to overcome. XM radio and a top of the line intercom system are an absolute essential. Enjoy the ride.

Woody
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:42 am

My perspective on a couple of the items you raised.

Resale value: The depreciation hit is really bad for the first couple of years (much worse than the GW for example), after that it slows to about $1,200 per year, for average mileage use. So, if you're planning on selling it, best to pick up a used one (I would target something that is more than 2 years old but not 3 years old so you have the option of picking up an extended warranty, or get one that has an extended warranty in place). Or don't worry about it. I picked up a 4 year old model without a warranty and while others experiences have been different have yet to pay for anything other than maintenance or upgrades (24K in the past year and half).

Maintenance costs: The LT has two service intervals and an annual - as I understand it, someone will probably chime in to say I've got it all wrong and I'll be happy to be better informed. Minor service at 6,000 mile intervals, if done at the dealer costs about $250 to $300. If you do it yourself, it is simple and costs about $20 - $70 depending on type of oil. Major service at 12,000 mile intervals, if done at the dealer costs about $700 - $800. If you strip off the body panels and have the dealer do the service work, you can save $300 or so. If you do it yourself, the material cost is about $200 - $250. There is also an annual service if you don't hit the 12,000 interval in a year (and yes it happens even in the LT crowd), which will run about $250 (primarily brake and clutch fluid change). After seeing the first $800 bill from the dealer, my wife told me to sell the bike or learn to do the service myself, so I've done all the service since the first one after my purchase. It's not difficult, but time consuming.

Hope this helps.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:01 am

Just Lookin'

Didn't a new dealer open in STL a few weeks ago, Gateway BMW? The service and parts are stupid expensive but I am hooked having ridden no other brand since 1993. Do some of it yourself or find a good independent shop if cost is a major factor.

The resale is very weak. If that is important to you, buy a low miler a few years old with all service records that has been owned by a BMW fanatic for .50-.75 on the dollar. Or just buck up and get exactly what you want, new and take it in the shorts when you sell or trade. Just the cost of doing business. I personally have taken the former alternative many times and it has worked very well.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:33 am

resale

The resale is maybe a litte weaker now in anticipation of the new platform possibly due in '09 - I'm sure some of the potential buyers are waiting to see what happens. I think there were quite a few more LTs for sale this year - great if your shopping not so good if your selling.

If the new LT is a big hit it will really depress the current version prices.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Welcome to the forum. I took the plunge and bought a 2000 LT with 8500 miles on it in October of 2005. I love the bike--the handling and ride are superior. Not only that, but at reasonable cruising speeds, mine averages between 45-52 mpg. Most of the time it is at the higher end. I have read alot about the low speed handling of the bike, and frankly I have never thought that is a problem--at least not for me. They do depreciate quickly, and definitely more so that a Harley or a Goldwing. The real problem with getting one that is too old is the warranty--or lack of it. Major repairs are expensive. The LT, for whatever reason is prone to rear drive failures. From what I can discern, around a 4% rate of failure. There also seems to be an issue of clutch failure, and sometimes ABS failure. However, even without the ABS, the brakes are superior to any other bike I have ever ridden. I had my dealer do my 12000 mile repair. the total cost was right at $500.00, which included the cost of new rear brake pads. I didn't think that was really bad at all. However, from what I have read here, that might be on the low end of what other dealers charge for that same service. Since purchasing the bike, I have now put on 23000 miles with no problems at all. My 24000 mile service was done with the help of a friend I met who also has an LT. We did my 24000 mile service and his 12000. It took us the best part of a day, but it did save a bunch of money doing it ourselves. As a previous post said, it isn't hard, but it it time consuming. There is a wonderful video set out on servicing the LT by Paul Sayegh. It is well worth the cost. Hopefully this post has at least been helpful to you. I am not as tall as you are so I can't comment on the confort level for someone with your height. Good luck whatever you decide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in