So you guys REALLY think that the LT is for EVERYone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 5:55 am Thread Starter

Question So you guys REALLY think that the LT is for EVERYone?

Really? Well I don't. I think it's "OK" if THIS GUY wants to sell his. I also happen to think that it's "OK" if the guy wants to blame the LT for the issues he's having with it. I don't agree with any of them, but so what? It's his perception.

Perhaps his post was a cleverly disguised cry for help...I don't know. But it didn't sound that way to me. Sounds like the guy just wants to vent, sell, and move on. To him, I wish him well . . . and farewell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:19 am

No I don't

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #3 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:28 am

One for All?

No Joe,
if one bike fit and satisfied everyone would it be a BMW, HD, Yamaha, Vespa Etc..

You were happy with the LT until the GT came along, now YOU think that is the better than any other bike like the FJR or ST1300. I bet there are a lot of people that would argue that also.

Different strokes for different folks.

Just my two cents worth... should I ask for change?

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:30 am

Joe, there are a few on your linked thread that will solve his cry for help. Since he can't handle the beast he shoud have no problem selling his bike!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:41 am

I think tha tthe LT requires some time and maybe different techniques than lots of other bikes. To me it was worth working with because now I love it. This may not be so for others. To each their own.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #6 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:49 am

Smile It's like beer.

The K1200 is way different from any bike I've owned and it is sort of like beer. I didn't like it the first time I tried it, but with encouragement, I stuck in there and came to like it, A LOT !!! The bike too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:29 am

Hey, Joe!

Yup.. LT aint for everybody... my own experiences would have driven me from BMW had the problems not been softened by a great dealer and FRIENDLY/good hearted input from great people on this board like you.

My hope is Vern get constructive "help" from those near him... that way no matter the outcome, Vern can know he gave it his BEST and that the people on this board, fellow MOTORCYCLISTS, will be there if only for support.

So, let's be careful out there!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:52 am

Talking "Chucking the bike"...

I'm still trying to figure out how to "Chuck the bike!" I've heard of shaving, stripping, chopping, trashing and even crashing but, never Chucking! Sounds difficult but everything about the bike is difficult.....It's a challenge!

l:

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #9 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:11 am

Rat"s Ass, who gives one , I sure don't . Not everyone knows how to ride and this is a bike that demand you learn or spend your time picking it off the ground.
If they wanted help ask for it, many here (self included) will step up to the plate. If they are done thats their fault/choice.
Never once did they speak of the bike in a 3D fashion, understanding the rotational axis around the CG. is one of the most basic precepts for riding in a professional manner.
While Professor Miles is the absolute World's Best Motorcycle Instructor, there are many things you can learn in a parking lot.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #10 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:01 am

Like the saying goes there is nothing wrong with the bike "it's the nut holding the bars"

Every motorcycle has it's limitations - most people don't know their own, very easy to blame the bike.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #11 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:07 am

Joe:

I couldn't agree more with you. I was very disapointed with all four of my LT's. I had an 01, 03, and two 05's. I put a total of 176,000 miles on them and try as I might, I couldn't get any of them to topple over on their side in a parking lot. I got so pissed with my first 05 that I hit a deer at 75MPH and totalled it out! Thought I was finally done with LT's, but noooooooooo, my insurance company bought me another new one! After thousands of miles and years of disapointment I finally bought my new RT in May. I'm in heaven! I've dropped it 62 times thusfar and gone through five sets of cylinder guards! Dick
post #12 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:32 am

Sounds like more than meets the eye. In his first post, Vern's message was that he was chucking the bike because of his inability to handle it at slow speeds and from a dead stop. Members of this forum responded in kind, offering support, tips wisdom and encouragement. In his last post he talks about other issues that he had with his LT, that were not revealed in his first post. It is obvious that his LT has been a bad experience for him and it is time for him to move on which seems to be his intention anyway. No the LT, nor any other motorcycle for that matter, is right for everyone.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #13 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:52 am

chuckin' it

I've been riding my '05 LT to work almost everyday since I bought it new. I think dealers should have a class for those of us new to BMW just to cover the what to expect's that's different on a beemer, incl. do's and don'ts, etc. The couple of problems I've had were MY fault, not the bikes. After 40 years of UJM's, I finally made it to BMW. Is it a better bike? In most respects I'd have to say yes. The real difference though is the level of customer service I get (A & S) is far above than I got at Yamaha or Honda, who really seem more interested in selling you something instead of keeping you happy with the bike. I wish I had the time to make some long trips on this thing though!
post #14 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:21 am

[QUOTE=Offwego]I'm still trying to figure out how to "Chuck the bike!"

Overeat at Taco Bells, chug a large shake, jump up and down in the hot sun. Mount the LT, you are now ready to "chuck the bike". Also known as "puke the stingray".
post #15 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:22 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Joe:

I couldn't agree more with you. I was very disapointed with all four of my LT's. I had an 01, 03, and two 05's. I put a total of 176,000 miles on them and try as I might, I couldn't get any of them to topple over on their side in a parking lot. I got so pissed with my first 05 that I hit a deer at 75MPH and totalled it out! Thought I was finally done with LT's, but noooooooooo, my insurance company bought me another new one! After thousands of miles and years of disapointment I finally bought my new RT in May. I'm in heaven! I've dropped it 62 times thusfar and gone through five sets of cylinder guards! Dick
Now that's funny right there!

And I, too, and with with Joe on this one. The guy's not happy with his bike, and every reason he listed I disagree with. BUt hey, if he's not happy and wants to sell it, that means someone who actually wants an LT will get one. That's gotta be a good thing!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #16 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:28 am

Anyone seen the popcorn?

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #17 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Thank you, finally!

[QUOTE=alanforn]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
I'm still trying to figure out how to "Chuck the bike!"

Overeat at Taco Bells, chug a large shake, jump up and down in the hot sun. Mount the LT, you are now ready to "chuck the bike". Also known as "puke the stingray".
Thanks for 'splaining it to me!

Imagine a world with the pefect bike.....only one make and model.....BORING! What if it were a Boss Hoss, or a Vespa???? That's why we all should have more than one bike!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #18 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Joe:

He don't say much, but when he do, look out!!!

Hey Dick, I know the guy who INVENTED cylinder guards...

(PS, I guess I am the only one who DOES think the LT IS for EVERYone...of course I just finished shoe-horning a twin-turbocharged Hayabusa engine into mine that dyno'd at 230 rear wheel horsepower. Of course, I have to replace the clutch after each red-light start-off, but it FINALLY is the do-everything motorcycle I always wanted, you should see me rock sub-9.0 quarter mile runs when I'm not cranking out half mile wheelies or no-more-top-speed-governor changing the cd with one hand on the bars at 210 mph. I was too late to qualify for official Bonneville running, but when I lowered my Cee Bailey's +2 shield to fully down and tucked a little bit (with my xl jpegs in, of course) I was clocked at a corrected 252.33454 mph, but only in one direction because of time constraints. Huh? Oh it's time for my medication? Oh, ok.)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #19 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 2:35 pm

So you don't like the LT and you think that a WOMAN or WOMEN.It's all just driving me CRAZY. Can't we all just GET ALONG? Who is it that makes us behave this WAY We do have more pressing THINGS to worry about. I know that a lot of people think one thing before buying an LT and then are faced with another REALITY I think the LT might be "suited" for the smallest portion of the entire riding population. Its size and quirks not to mention it's cost elimanate 95% or more of the riding population, wouldn't you agree? I feel so elite
BUUUHHHH BYYYYEEEE

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #20 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
While Professor Miles is the absolute World's Best Motorcycle Instructor,
Rock
I don't think there is such a bike or even manufacturer out there that is for everyone.
And I have no idea who Professor Miles is so I disagree with above also.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #21 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
So you don't like the LT and you think that a WOMAN or WOMEN.It's all just driving me CRAZY. Can't we all just GET ALONG? Who is it that makes us behave this WAY We do have more pressing THINGS to worry about. I know that a lot of people think one thing before buying an LT and then are faced with another REALITY I think the LT might be "suited" for the smallest portion of the entire riding population. Its size and quirks not to mention it's cost elimanate 95% or more of the riding population, wouldn't you agree? I feel so elite
BUUUHHHH BYYYYEEEE
Now thats a heavy post.....I hope you recover

Mike

.....BTW--If we all suffered thru this.......WE get to have

"fun" with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #22 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:46 pm

Sorry newf,,, Prof. Miles is strictly an American thing.............Pete
post #23 of 28 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:01 pm

I year ago, I actually put my LT on cycletrader because I was planning an international move (never happened). Three guys came out for a look and test ride. All of them came back dismayed and couldn't believe I could even ride it (Im only 5'-8"), let alone commute 2-up through the city traffic regularly. They were all long-term cruiser, H-D riders looking to "trade up". Needless to say, I don't think any of them will be future LT buyers.

I think once these guys get programmed to the cruiser steering angle, response, and center of gravity, they just freak when faced with something like the LT. The combo of anti-dive front suspension, the huge raked-back steering, the sheer weight and high center of gravity just makes it too different for some to adapt to. I'll admit, it took me some time to get comfortable in town, but had no intention of giving up because nothing of its size comes close when the LT is in its element.
post #24 of 28 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:05 pm

WOW This tread died................but the answer is the LT IS NOT for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
post #25 of 28 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 3:36 am

I'll agree that the LT is not for everyone and if somebody isn't happy with his
he should get something he does like.

Since this isn't "his" thread I hope this won't be construed as a personal attack but:
If this guy would have tried the "I'm having problems with this approach"
is it me or the bike, or what (or how) should I do this.

I would have been nicer and more sympathetic.

But this guy wines and complains and points to the the bike for all of his problems
and is still doing it later into the thread.

It's pretty obvious to me that he just doesn't know how to ride the LT
and yet refuses to accept his own shortcomings.

I don't think "we" can help him.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 28 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 7:45 am

It's certainly not my ideal bike, but it fills a niche in my needs and isn't worth much used. That's why nobody should be stuck with just one bike LOL, just always need a larger garage and more money. It is about 100 lbs too heavy, very difficult to work on compared to most other bikes, needs one more gear, the clutch really really sucks, the home-entertainment system belongs at home, and the weight is very high. But on the right road on the right trip on the right day with the right company, the heated seats & grips & adjustable windshield, GPS and tunes etc. can all come together.
post #27 of 28 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper
It's certainly not my ideal bike, but it fills a niche in my needs and isn't worth much used. That's why nobody should be stuck with just one bike LOL, just always need a larger garage and more money. It is about 100 lbs too heavy, very difficult to work on compared to most other bikes, needs one more gear, the clutch really really sucks, the home-entertainment system belongs at home, and the weight is very high. But on the right road on the right trip on the right day with the right company, the heated seats & grips & adjustable windshield, GPS and tunes etc. can all come together.
You know,I thought the new concours would be the end-all, but one of the things that struck me was "damn, this is just too small..."

I think you're right, I really DO need...that's NEED...two motorcycles. Now if I can just convince the "warden" of that...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #28 of 28 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 6:33 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well after 1300 miles off the 05 Road Glide I am ECSTATIC with the LT.

With some minor irritants.

ALL have nothing to do with handling, or clutch issues, or RPM shift points, or the weight or distribution as in top heavy.

Maybe it is because I rode a bike with similar weight and perceived as top heavy even with the small "pizza box" tour pac, let alone the full size.

Now driving the Road Glide off the lot for the ride home was a bit of a challenge. You see I went from a Sportster with Wind Vest mounted on the bars, to a fixed faring, and a WHOLE lot more weight.

Point is you learn to drive the bike, before you "assume" it is the bike and NOT your leftover love affair with the bike you gave up. I know after spending 28,000 with the Glide, it was an old friend to drive, and all movements were fluid and by osmosis, and learned memory to make the bike go.

I am NO where close to that on the LT, but we are becoming fast friends.

Me and the clutch have come to an understanding, well most of the time.

Shifting is butter compared to what I came from, and I am VERY conscious on not exerting excessive pressure going down in gears, and do it while moving. Also changed FD and Trany at 600 Service to Amsoil Severe Gear also.

RPM is where this bikes likes to run, 4000 RPM and 80 MPH and she is just loving life and I am in "BMW" heaven.

Kick it down and run 5-7000 RPM and best be hanging on and she is just as happy, just showing off a little more, and purring like the fine motor she is.

Reach on seat was solved by a Complete Masters from Corbin using the low model. Of course I am still stinging from the VERY BIG cash outlay to get there. This seat is so much better. The heated flat back pad for the passenger weighed more then ALL 3 pieces of stock crap. {Consider this one of my irritants} Both to my WALLET and my A$$ before the Corbin got here.

Is it for everyone, well it takes a little time to learn a bike, me and this one are just getting acquainted. It is truly a magnificent piece of MC and I love it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in