TSB for stiff throttle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

TSB for stiff throttle

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the tsb that deals with the stiff throttle action? I believe the number is 32 001 03 (003). This doesn't seem like to complicated a job to do but I would like to see the tsb if it is available.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:28 am

I did the cable replacement this spring. Night and day is all I can say. Very easy to do the job yourself. I did have a bit of a struggle getting one of the cable end attached, sorry I don't remember which one. Walked away eat a snack and bingo dropped right into place. Good luck and you will be very happy.

Mitch Tucker
2002 K1200LTC
1989 K100RS (Needing engine replaced)
1994 FXR, S&S 113
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:42 am Thread Starter

Many Thanks!!

Roy
Mine is a 2003 it has the plastic guide at the grip end and the old style cables. It is not real bad but it is difficult to operate the throttle at low speeds smoothly. My previous LT was a 99 and it had the conversion done on it when I got it, the throttle was still stiff but it would move smoothly.

Thanks for the help guy's!!

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:17 am
was

Hey, James. You probably already know this, but just in case . . . The TSB to which Bigbear provided a link came out in 2003, and references the first of two cable upgrades. The '03 upgraded cables used a flat wire for the sheath and a thicker Teflon coating. They were a straight retrofit into the plastic housing at the throttle. In '05 (I think it was) BMW came out with another upgrade, which went on all '05+ bikes. I don't know how they changed the cables themselves, but the '05+ cables had new routing at the handlebars to decrease a 90 degree bend and eliminate the 90 degree metal tube that guided the cable, and a new fitting at the throttle. At least one person who wanted to upgrade his pre-'03 cables requested the "upgraded cables" from his parts department, and got the '03 upgrade. If you want the '05+ cables, make sure that you specify the '05 and later version, and get the retrofit kit with the new plastic fitting for the throttle. The '05+ bikes have a different lower right handlebar cover than previous years so that the cables come out from beneath the cover several inches away from the throttle grip, diminishing the radius of the curve of the cable as it approaches the fitting. Most people who have retrofit the '05 cables to a pre-'05 bike have cut a slot or hole in their pre-'05 lower handlebar cover to achieve the same effect. The TSB does not mention any of this because it only references the earlier cable upgrade. However, I found that it was useful reading for general purposes in retrofitting the '05+ cables. There is a ton of info on the site and at least one detailed post about installing and adjusting the '05+ retrofit. It can be a PITA to do, but almost everyone has found that it is well worth the time and effort. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Cables

Yes I did know I needed the cables used on the 05 and up and ordered the parts by part number, they arrived yesterday and I will put them in the bike tomorrow.
Thanks for the information though!!!
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in