Loose instrument panel... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Loose instrument panel...

My instrument panel is loose on the left side and moves going over rough roads or bumps. I've always done my own maintenance, but have never gotten into the intrument panel. Anyone had this problem and can tell me anything about this? I also have a small piece of black padding coming up in front of the panel. So I don't know yet if something is broken, or if screws are missing. thanks....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 K1200LT since April 2006
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Nov. 1999-April 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Sounds like the bolt that attaches the bottom corner of the instrument panel to the frame is loose or missing. A simple repair once you have the front upper fairing off. The foam is intended to seal out dust and dirt from below. To re-glue it to the underside of the piece that surrounds the steering you will need to take both instrument panel bolts out and move the panel up and forward. It will also help a lot if you move the stingray back some. I've just had my instrument panel out and re-glued the foam piece you refer to, so it can be done.

Good luck!

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg4
Sounds like the bolt that attaches the bottom corner of the instrument panel to the frame is loose or missing. A simple repair once you have the front upper fairing off. The foam is intended to seal out dust and dirt from below. To re-glue it to the underside of the piece that surrounds the steering you will need to take both instrument panel bolts out and move the panel up and forward. It will also help a lot if you move the stingray back some. I've just had my instrument panel out and re-glued the foam piece you refer to, so it can be done.

Good luck!
Hi, Wally - 'Q' for ya. How big is that foam piece 'tween the instrument panel face and the steering coverplate? And it's shape, if you know it? Ole Toad is a '99 and we started losing bits of that stuff at speed. By the time I figgered out what wuz happening, I think the whole dang thang flew outta there. I'm trying to think of something I can use to replace it, butt thought you might have an idea of size and shape. Thanks in advance, Wally.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:48 am

Dick, it's too bad I didn't draw a template of the foam piece when I had it out yesterday. It's an ordinary piece of foam about .5 inch thick, like what you would use to seal around your air conditioner. I'd say it's about 8 inches long, the side against the clear plastic bezel of the instrument panel is straight, the other side is curved to fit the curvature of the instruments cover (part no. 46632347449) around the front of the steering. The foam piece is probably about an inch wide in the center, and 2 inches at each end. If you were to take the instrument cover off you'd see immediately what I mean. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions...

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg4
Dick, it's too bad I didn't draw a template of the foam piece when I had it out yesterday. It's an ordinary piece of foam about .5 inch thick, like what you would use to seal around your air conditioner. I'd say it's about 8 inches long, the side against the clear plastic bezel of the instrument panel is straight, the other side is curved to fit the curvature of the instruments cover (part no. 46632347449) around the front of the steering. The foam piece is probably about an inch wide in the center, and 2 inches at each end. If you were to take the instrument cover off you'd see immediately what I mean. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions...
Thanks, Wally - helps me a lot. I think I'll check out the cheap a/c filters at the beeg box stores to see if that'll work, cut to shape. I gotta git sumpthin' in there, cuz the static cling, tint strip I use to cover the lower line of lit gauges is gonna git blown off, I think. Thanks again, Wally. I'll ping ya if a question comes up.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:58 am

Hey Dick, I had the foam fall out a while back. I just stuck it on the shelf, I didn't know where it went and figured I'd get to it later and never have. I see if I can find it tonight and trace out a template for ya.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Hey Dick, I had the foam fall out a while back. I just stuck it on the shelf, I didn't know where it went and figured I'd get to it later and never have. I see if I can find it tonight and trace out a template for ya.
Malcolm - thanks; thanks a lot. I think I've still got some of the stuff stuck in there in places, cuz when it blew out, it blew in small chunks and pieces and looked like it had turned mummified or sumpthin'. Just disintegrated, due to age, I guess. If you tried to pull any of it out, it just crumbled to powder.

No hurry on the template, Malcolm. I think I'll do our 8/11/07 RTE, then tear the bike down and do some serious maintenance, from A-to-Z. I'll be ready to tackle the dash area during that time, cuz I've got some lights out.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies...

I'll take a day and get into it and fix it. I'm going to SPI Bikefest in October and want to do it before I go. thanks!

1999 K1200LT since April 2006
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Nov. 1999-April 2006
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:05 pm

If you can, try to take some pics. Iím still not 100% sure I know where it goes. I was able to find my foam tonight. Iíll trace it out and scan it in, in the morning. Iíll probably cut a new piece of foam, as mine looks a bit squished and put it on the next time I have the Tupperware off.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in