Clanking on my LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Clanking on my LT

Just got back from a 3000 mile trip and during the trip I began to notice a "clank" every time I hit a bump on the road. Since I am going to be changing the tires is there something I should look over to see where this clank is coming from? Thanks in advance.

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:30 pm
2-K

Hi David,

Even though Iím new here I have just posted about something the same/similar, although you donít say what area the clanking is coming from ..rear, front or just underneath generally? I test rode a LT and it was bangingÖclanking underneath towards the back. The dealer has now changed the rear brake disc (rota) and tire. I havenít picked it yet but they say it has solved the problem, reading through the forums here it seems many others have had similar noises coming from worn rear disc/rota.

Rob

Last edited by 2-K; Aug 8th, 2007 at 5:44 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

It is from the rear tire. Thanks Rob.

David

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:01 pm

David,
I had this on my '05 LT and it turned out to be the rear disc rotor. It is a floating type and it supposed to move slightly left to right. The problem is that after a while the rivets holding rotor get more slack and the rotor also starts moving up/down direction - that's what makes this clanking noise. You can easily check that - try to move the rotor (don't touch it right after ride, it may get very hot) by hand and see if it moves up/down. If it does, that's what is making the clanking noise.
It doesn't seem to affect the braking power, but it gets embarrassing when people look around like if your bike is falling apart.
I'm not sure if there is a quick fix for that, short of replacing the rear rotor.
I traded in my 05 for a brand new 07 and so far it's quiet after a 6k miles.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Clank

My front end clanks on bumps. Turned out in was the front brake pads (currently aftermarket pads).
To check on the source of clank feather your brakes on a bumpy road. if the clank disappears when the brakes are lightly applied, well then it is the brake pads or the rotor making the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
David,
I had this on my '05 LT and it turned out to be the rear disc rotor. It is a floating type and it supposed to move slightly left to right. The problem is that after a while the rivets holding rotor get more slack and the rotor also starts moving up/down direction - that's what makes this clanking noise. You can easily check that - try to move the rotor (don't touch it right after ride, it may get very hot) by hand and see if it moves up/down. If it does, that's what is making the clanking noise.
It doesn't seem to affect the braking power, but it gets embarrassing when people look around like if your bike is falling apart.
I'm not sure if there is a quick fix for that, short of replacing the rear rotor.
I traded in my 05 for a brand new 07 and so far it's quiet after a 6k miles.

BJ
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in