Going to test ride and maybe buy. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Going to test ride and maybe buy.

Hey guys new to the site and BMW's.

Going to look at a ride this weekend its a 2001 ltc with 14,000miles. Any imput of what to look/listen for would be great. Realy dont want to buy another persons headaches. Trying to make a preinspection checklist so i dont buy it get it home and say DAMM why didnt i see that!!!!!!

Thanks again

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Chect the service records. Check for leaks between the engine and driveshaft (under). Try to move the rear wheel side to side, should be no play. Check to see if the 12K service was done. Make sure the clutch doesn't slip. Give it a good test drive. Make sure the ABS works. Good luck.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Do as mentioned above and enjoy the ride.
Also see if there is any waranty left on the ridde

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #4 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

The bike is a 01 so i dont expect it to be flawless mainly woried about the major things. 13.5 is low milage just kinda wondering why? I do plan on changing all fluids at day one.

John
post #5 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Pull the boot back at the swingarm and check for leaks or a small o-ring type seal I found in mine. Seller might have cleaned up oil around boot but if you look inside after the test ride you should see some oil if it is leaking.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #6 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Any 01 with only that many miles is usually not because of trouble, it's just someone always has an excuse to not ride. If he liked to ride & had a bike that gave him alot of trouble he would have gotten rid of it years ago. There's plenty brad new 6 year old bike in garages, mostly Harleys though.
post #7 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Things to check.

In additon to checking the service records;
Check the throttle cables make sure you do not have excessive slack. There is an "05" upgrade that reduces the twist to full throttle and increases cable life. Excessive twist and cable breakage is common on pre 05 LT's.

Test cruise control, radio, cd, trip computer, all lights, heated grips & seats.
Make sure the trunk latch is not broken and that the gas lid latches. Make sure you get the security system remote, cd player, all manuals, spare key, tool kit, the rubber ball on the end of the center stand, antenna, BMW flashlight that goes in the dash box and ask for all the luggage. Looking at the dealer invoice will help you determine what came with the bike when it was purchased.

If there are no service records you will need at minimum to;

Change all fluids, engine, transmission, final drive, clutch & brake
Inspect & Lubricate the shift linkage
Change the brake pads
Test the battery
Flush and replace the anti freeze
I would also change the plugs while you're at it

Good luck!

Last edited by tomandmelanie; Aug 8th, 2007 at 7:31 pm. Reason: update
post #8 of 32 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Its feels big at 1st

Unless you have rode a big bike before its size may surprise you on the 1st
ride. But believe me it gets better every ride and if you buy, you will soon
love this bike and so will your so. I've had my 00 for a little over a year 14k
miles and no problems at all.
post #9 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info,
I'm 6'4" 250lbs don't think the weight will be too much of a problem with some practice.

I 'm sure i will be meeting some of you in person soon.

John
post #10 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 1:08 pm

Handling the LT

I'm about the same size, I've only come close to dropping it once and that was starting from a stop and attempting to turn at the same time with my wife and a full luggage load including luggage on the trunk rack. Just make sure you always start the bike going straight with the front wheel straight and you'll be good to go.

You may want to consider keeping the seat hight on low until you get used to moving the bike around in parking situations and start up situations. It is a very top heavy bike most owners have tipped it over once. Once you get rolling the bike performs more like a sport touring bike.

Your a big guy and the bikes suspension is designed for a 175lb rider if you find the center and side stand are touching down on corners you may need to consider upgrading the suspension. I put a set of Ohlins on my LT and I'm very impressed with the improvement. There are other alternative suspensions, just do a search on shocks or suspension on this site.
post #11 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Rated for a 175lb??

How could this be? What happens when two-up ? Or with gear?

DO I NEED TO START EATING SALADS AND RICE CAKES??????????

John
post #12 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Go on a diet.

Almost every bike made is designed with a suspension to accomidate a 185 lbs rider. Yes they add something for luggage and passenger but if your not 185 lbs (and I have not been since Jr High) once you put your 110 lb wife (no comment) and your 50 lbs of luggage (in your two up dreams) your over the top.

For you guys who weigh 175lbs or less with your 110lbs or less wife and your 50lbs or less of two up luggage you're good to go!

My wife may not be the problem but I've got to drive and she has her baggage!

If you never go over the speed limit,just stick to the highways and never ride canyon or mountian roads you can ignore all this information unless you weigh 400lbs.
post #13 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

So what your really saying is.................. "Eat salad and rice cakes" or get suspension upgrade because the wife weighs a bit more than 110lbs (zip it) and there WILL be luggage.

John
post #14 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Suspension Upgrades

What I'm really saying is that, I've never had a motorcycle that didn't benefit from a set of Ohlins with just me riding.
Add the wife and her luggage and add the fact that she deserves nothing but the best that I can afford and presto you have a new set of shocks on the way! It's not just a farkle it's a "SAFETY ITEM".
The fact that a properly sprung bike allows me to corner faster is simply a biproduct. Beside if I leave a trail of sparks through every pass in the Sierras who is going to put out all the fires?
post #15 of 32 Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:57 pm

tik tak I'm 6'4" and 260 and the LT doesn't even know I'm there......

If the 01 has the rear suspension adjustment under the seat then tune the bike to you........
Your 250 ain't hurting a thing..............Pete
post #16 of 32 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 8:20 am Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the 01 has this feature. I hope so i thought all LT came with the adjustment under the seat? I guess i will find out Monday.

Thanks for all the info

John
post #17 of 32 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikTak
I'm not sure if the 01 has this feature. I hope so i thought all LT came with the adjustment under the seat? I guess i will find out Monday.

Thanks for all the info

John
I am 6'2" and have a +36" inseam. I also pass the 200# and my wife is XXX # also. Uhh...lets just say she is petite challenged. We have not had a problem with the stock shocks. I did add some oil to them to beef them up and it's all good now. Two up and with a bit of gear and we are packing close to 500 pounds.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 32 Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:30 am Thread Starter

I'm hooked on the LT so if i need to up-grade then so be it. I have read all the pros and cons here and to me the Pros out weigh the cons (plus I'm hooked on its lines).

John
post #19 of 32 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Ok test ride complete

OK well were do i start? 2001 LT 13,500miles

Bike looks spotless. seems to run good.Smooth ride smooth shifts

Things i noticed that I'm unsure about.

Motor seemed loud/clunky but smooth (have not heard many BMW's maybe normal)

ABS lights on at stand still then go out.

Slight noise when clutch is pulled in and out.

No record of 6000 or 12000 service but the first 2 stamped.

No BMW Flashlight

Any imput would be great.

Thanks again

John
post #20 of 32 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikTak
OK well were do i start? 2001 LT 13,500miles

Bike looks spotless. seems to run good.Smooth ride smooth shifts

Things i noticed that I'm unsure about.

Motor seemed loud/clunky but smooth (have not heard many BMW's maybe normal)

ABS lights on at stand still then go out.

Slight noise when clutch is pulled in and out.

No record of 6000 or 12000 service but the first 2 stamped.

No BMW Flashlight

Any imput would be great.

Thanks again

John

Dont know abot loud and clunky, but the engine does make noises that others dont, and you will come to love them noises.

ABS flashing at a standstill when you first start the bike is normal, as long as they go out after the first 3 feet or so. During that few few feet, you can hear and feel the ABS "hitting" your calipers, it just a cycling phase to test the system. It will not happen again until after you shut the bike down and restart it, if it happens at every stop and go situation, there is a problem.

Slight noise when clutch pulled in and out can be the transmission freewheeling in neutral, and a good clunk when popped into gear is normal

The stamped record is pretty good on the service part, just look for leaks and discolored fluids ( telltale sign off improper maintainence)

Buy a Mini Mag or an LED flashlight. LOL

Sounds like a good bike, if the price is right....GO FOR IT !

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #21 of 32 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

The 6000 and 12000 were not stamped and no record of service for these two. How big of a deal is this?
post #22 of 32 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:23 pm

should have said something i would have met ya 4 eyes better than 2
post #23 of 32 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Bike condition

The BMW K1200 that's in the LT is a bit on the buzzy / noisy side so don't worry about it. The clutch is a hydraulic clutch system and it's a bit mushy and clunky compared to most bikes so again I would not worry about it.

Just figure that you need to do all the 12k service.

The flashlight is nice because it fits the clip in the tank compartment, you can find something else to fit there however you will have to hunt and peck about a bit. It's nice to have the flashlight because you need one to check oil levels by looking through the vent in the lower right fairing at the glass eye hole in the engine case.

If you like it buy it!
post #24 of 32 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input.

Going to call the dealer and see if he will pay/share the cost of the 12000 service. if so then i will buy.

Wish me luck its time to negotiate.

John
post #25 of 32 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 9:57 pm

As far as handling, you shouldn't have any problem with your size, just be careful for a while as it is heavy, with a high CG. Tight turns from a stop are realtively easy, taught to me at an intermediate riders course. Just turn it over on the stop and go, no need to get rolling and risk hitting a car in the other lane on a tight right hand turn.
post #26 of 32 Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all

Just wanted to say thank you for all the info and give a update.

I passed on the 01 LTC i loved the look(black) of the bike very clean but something just wasn't right in the feel and sound. Now i found a 03 LTC 12,000 miles with some of the extras i was looking for
floorboards,arm rests(SO don't like the look of them),Kathy bags,tank bag,charger,and cover and only about 2k more than the 01.Not as clean as the 01 (and its silver not black)but i like the idea of it being a 03 with the updated FD bearing. I should be picking up the bike in about a week.

The only problem is the front tire (BT020)is cupped fairly bad and was wondering if i should ride it home on the tire? its about a 50mile trip home were i will pull the front tire and have new one mounted.

John
post #27 of 32 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:02 am

go slow ,, you should be fine.
post #28 of 32 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:22 pm

Congrats on the purchase. I agree with Lenny.. As long as there is rubber and there isn't cord or obvious cuts.. 50 miles should be good. You'll probably take it easy anyhow.. at least for the first 50..

You can get a new tire locally. If you pull the tire you can get it replaced at Cycle Gear in Orange CT. They won't take the wheel off the bike.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #29 of 32 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

We were at at Cycle Gear for about 2 hours getting fitted for helmets and various gear including the tire. They were great this guy ED was with us the whole time and a "shout out" is in order. Customer service was excellent. Just getting back into riding so i will need all the gear for myself and SO and thats not going to be cheap. I told ED we were just looking and that i haven't closed the deal on the bike yet but would like to get an idea what gear was available and what i can expect on cost. Knowing i wasn't buying anything that day they still treated us top notch. I don't know if i will purchase all my gear there but i will give them as much of my business as possible.

THANKS AGAIN "ED" FROM CYCLE GEAR IN ORANGE CONNECTICUT!!!!!

I will take it slow (at least till i have new rubber).
post #30 of 32 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 6:38 pm

cycle gear ?? never heard of them , some info as to where they are would be nice thanks
post #31 of 32 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
cycle gear ?? never heard of them , some info as to where they are would be nice thanks
http://www.cyclegear.com/

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #32 of 32 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Cycle Gear is located on the Boston Post Rd (RT1)in Orange Ct,
Right next to Best Buy on the Orange/West Haven line.

The people there were great.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in